No announcement yet.

The Over-the-Pond Invasion Has Begun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Over-the-Pond Invasion Has Begun...

Last week whilst on the coach as I was travelling along, I thought I must be imagining things or we'd taken a serious detour...Nope... there in all its glory nestled in the Cornish hillsides...was a Tim Horton's.
    Alas I could not stop to fix myself with fried dough hockey pucksTimBits or coffee. But apparently the first one opened here in 2017 in Glasgow. Now there's 47 of the blighters around the country.

And then I arrive at my destination and walking along the harbour I am confronted with a giant purplish vision. Yep, we have a new Taco Bell in town. Again in 2017 there were 17 in the country in the big cities and USAF bases mainly. Now they're arriving in their droves. For what it's worth I sampled their products. Tacos-meh not bad. Quesadillas-very nice.

I am now waiting to find a Jack in the Box or an Applebee's sitting on the corner of the street on the way home. In return we'll send you guys a pie-and-mash shop
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    In return we'll send you guys a pie-and-mash shop
    Please do It can't possibly be worse than some of the places around here.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I would be happy to have a pie-and-mash shop if you take Applebee's off our hands.

Comment

There is a Chippy where I live. Run by a Brit. It is not open right now, as they are relocating to a new location. They will be expanding their menu. More pie & mash and a full English breakfast.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          They will be expanding their menu. More pie & mash and a full English breakfast.
          Mmm, sounds good! Maybe some bangers and mash?
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Our local chippy has started battering things for Christmas(sprouts,pigs in blankets etc Since they're from t'Black Country we did tell them they had to have faggots too--but a sign saying We Now Batter Faggots could be... misinterpreted 😐
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Fried cigarettes? Whuuu????
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Faggots are meatballs made from minced off-cuts and offal, especially pork (traditionally pig's heart, liver, and fatty belly meat or bacon) together with herbs for flavouring and sometimes added bread crumbs. It is a traditional dish in the United Kingdom, especially South and Mid Wales and the English Midlands.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Wow, yet another meaning of that word I didn't know! Thanks!!
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

*snip*. In return we'll send you guys a pie-and-mash shop
                    I would totally welcome that. Some months ago I went to a Buck-a-Star for a quick bite and thought I was going to be sick. I was hungry so finished it but ... I swear, Mickey D's food is better than that!
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

In return we'll send you guys a pie-and-mash shop
                      I'd love to have a pie-and-mash shop near me! My nan used to make us pie-and-mash when I was little and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd attempt to make it myself, but my pie crusts tend to be a bit too hard and I don't know if a ready-made crust would be anywhere close.

Comment

Best I could find was a place called Harrington's in NYC. You can even (not sure whether it's still ongoing,the site says it is...) when you go and see Sweeney Todd you can place an order for a preshow meal of pie and mash (except from Row J... is that because that's within launching distance of the stage? ) made by Bill Yosses, a former White House pastry chef.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          I swear, Mickey D's food is better than that!
                          The only thing I'll eat there are chicky nuggies, mcmuffins, and the cheap breakfast burritos...Sadly, they no longer sell the latter in most of the US, and our area no longer has them. Sonic's "Junior" ones are decent, if a bit more, tho.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

...and still they come!
                            We now have a Popeye's
                            *superb chicken,chaotic 'queueing' system where everyone mills around disorganizedly,New Orleans Jazz which isn't bad for 5 minutes. Working there all day would drive you crackers...also it means you can't hear the orders,lids don't fit on cups meaning you have to be extra careful as one false move and it's squirt, pop,drink pouring everywhere

and a Slim Chicken's
                            *lovely chicken tenders,very nice honey BBQ sandwich,super fries,shame about the building-it's a converted hangar or warehouse(and it looks like it) and the speed of service-even if the middle of the afternoon I don't want to have to wander around seeing if I can rouse someone from their nap. Perhaps the fact it's on a holiday camp at the seaside means that all the customers are off at the beach tanning themselves, so it goes into siesta mode.

Comment

Working...
                            X