And how old are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And how old are you?

Cleaning up the office/bedroom and threw out this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20221226_151834.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	2077410

So, how old are you?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Old enough to know what those are. ;-)
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

5.25"? Not all that old! I kluged an interface to replace a Singer hard drive (made for the Minuteman missile ) with an 8" single-sided single-density floppy drive for the lighting controller for Samford University in Homewood, Alabama...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Old enough to still have a whole bunch of them, and the computers to run them.

I have about 120 programs on 5¼ floppies.
        I have about 100 programs on 3½ floppies, although about 2 dozen of those duplicate the 5¼ floppies.
        I have about 200 programs on CD.
        And an uncounted number of downloaded programs.
        I will admit most of those programs are games.

Like a true gamer, I have only played about a quarter of them.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My 3½s were on a bookcase that needed to get moved last year. Those got pitched a while back.

In my 5¼s, I had a full copy of 386-IX from Interactive Systems. I couldn't find the copy of PC-IX. My boss, back at the time, helped Interactive port SVR3 to 8086.

Quoth dalesys View Post
          5.25"? Not all that old! I kluged an interface to replace a Singer hard drive (made for the Minuteman missile ) with an 8" single-sided single-density floppy drive for the lighting controller for Samford University in Homewood, Alabama...
          I use to sell those.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I know what those are. We didn't get a 'modern' computer until about 1996, making do with an older one from the 80's until then.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kittish
              I'm old enough to remember the behemoth 8" discs that came BEFORE those. They held a truly pitiable amount of data, but at the time it seemed immense.
              The Singer hard disk I mentioned held *less* data than the first generation *" floppies! It had a read/write head for each track.

Comment

I had to get rid of my half-dozen boxes of 3.5" floppies when I moved. I stopped using 5 1/4"s once I no longer had a system that could use them. I never used 8-inchers personally (tho I did have more than one system that used cassette tapes), tho I did work at a place circa 2000AD that still had all of their disks going back to the 8-inchers, despite them not having any systems capable ot reading them, either. Sadly, they shot down my idea of stringing them up as a mobile on the ceiling.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ooh I recognize what those are! I believe the one pictured is a 'coat-hanger' used for hanging up clothes
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Kit - You must be careful to never leave two or more such devices alone in a closed area; they will multiply rapidly once they realize that they will not be bothered.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Having worked in IT (mainly as a CAD supervisor) since the early '90's; I easily recognized those and have a bunch to deal with myself.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have one of those left and a single computer that can still read them. I'm slowly moving everything to modern storage types

Comment

Quoth Kittish
                          What's more, the parents and offspring will meld into one giant wire beast that is very, very difficult to deal with as it will grab anything that comes within its reach and pull it into the tangle. Wire cutters are usually the required solution, though caution is required as the beast will lash out randomly while it is being dismembered.
                          And if not dismembered in time the wire beast will morph into the adult form, a shopping trolley, and trundle you off to the wonders of Mall Purchase Night!
                          (kudos to Terry Pratchett & Rick Cook)

Comment

The trick to keeping those beasts from multiplying is to get plastic covered ones. Condoms do work.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My first computer was a TRS-80 Color Computer, which I still have, along with a bunch of those floppies. Everything still works, or it did 11-12 years ago, when my son found it and hooked it up out of curiosity. Even all the old floppies still worked, except for one that would randomly put out "I/O ERRORS", but if I remember correctly that particular disc never worked right. He ended up taking it to one of his computer classes for show and tell.

When I got my first PC back in 1995, I was introduced to the 3 1/2 floppies, but I don't think I ever actually had to buy any. Companies like AOL were constantly sending them out, and I'd just reformat and reuse them.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X