Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual things wot I have had to eat....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual things wot I have had to eat....

Today I decided to treat myself to lunch at Marks & Sparks' finest caff and on the menu they had 'shakshouka'. Well it sounded more interesting than the usual cod'n'chips or pie.Always adventurous I gave it a try.
    Turns out it's a tomato and red pepper thick soup with feta on top and a couple of poached eggs floating in it.
    Oh and last year I got to sample fried alligator. Tastes like chicken

So what unusual culinary delights have you tried?

The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

My brother used to hunt alligators. He lives in Florida. Only the tail is eaten, and it does taste like chicken.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      ...on the menu they had 'shakshouka'....Turns out it's a tomato and red pepper thick soup with feta on top and a couple of poached eggs floating in it.
      That actually sounds quite good.

Probably the strangest thing I've eaten is squid, which really is not all that strange.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I agree, I'd happily eat that soup. Did it come with some nice crusty bread?

Rattlesnake used to be popular out this way. It wasn't bad, but had a lot of bones. They are protected nowadays so no more buying it at the grocery store.

I like to send folks Prickly Pear treats as stocking stuffers. I'm too cheap to send Saguaro fruit treats, but they taste much like Prickly Pear treats.

I once made camel's milk cheese. It was expensive and a real PITA, but I can say that I have had camel milk as well as camel milk cheese.

Comment

I live in a far-away place that has little for 'adventurous' cuisine... so the last 'exotic' thing I've tried would have to be Vegemite.

I actually quite like it.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Had Vegemite and Marmite. Didn't care for either.

Last week I had brisket of Buffalo.

Kangaroo would have to be at the top of the list.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Behold the shavshu...shashu... tomato soup with floaty eggs
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I've had gator tail and can confirm on the taste.

While it's more just uncommon than "exotic" in the US, I've had one restaurant's take on Osso Bucco -- theirs was veal in a creamy mushroom sauce. Similarly, an aunt's version of Salisbury Steak was essentially beef patties slow-cooked in cream of mushroom soup. Both were heavenly, and I normally can't stand mushrooms.

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've had Kangaroo (tasted a lot like elk to me), Vegemite, Rattlesnake, alligator, ostrich, and a few other things that are not coming to mind. I don't count Buffalo because it's easy to get.

Strangely enough, I've never had lamb.

Comment

I thought that alligator tasted like chicken, but was tougher.

I've eaten Cui. (That's guinea pig to those of us not in South America.) I had it in a taco. Tasted a little like chicken and a little like pork, actually.

Someone in our tour group (in Ecuador) later got a whole fried Cui--you could tell what it was. No way could I eat that. Also not going to eat Cui again.

Many years before that, at the instigation of one of my co-workers, I had "calf fries" on a work trip to Texas. It tasted like chicken-fried steak, and you dipped it in country gravy (or "sausage bechamel" for non-US folks). Very tender. It is, in fact, beef, but only one specific part. From calfs who grow up to be steers, instead of bulls.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                    X