Computer Build Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Build Questions...

I've built machines before, and I think the answer is probably going to be the same, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have a Windows 10 machine that might not be upgradable to Windows 10.

I'm thinking about building instead of buying through one of the big computer manufacturers (the one that rhymes with "Yell").

I built a Linux computer a few years back. It went well, though it was a little pricier than I expected.

I'd want to make this new one a Windows 11 machine.

So would it be cheaper to build or buy? Especially given that since it would be a Windows machine, I'd have to buy a copy of Windows 11. I think I can probably repurpose the case I already have, and just put in a new motherboard, processor, RAM, and graphics card. That might be cheaper, I haven't really priced it out. And if I did that, I might not have to buy a new OS for it.

With some of the things I do, I could probably do with more computing horsepower anyway.

Now my laptop is a different story...I've never replaced the internal components of a laptop, and I'm reluctant to. I think I bought my current one in 2017 or 2018. Something like that. It's from the company that rhymes with "yell". I did the check to see if I could upgrad to Windows 11, and it basically told me I needed a newer processor.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

USUALLY, you can build cheaper. Particularly if you want a unique config. See reason #1 below.

Besides the price, to me, the two best reasons to build your own are:
    1. You can customize it to your desires. The "brands" sell bundles that are popular. They don't meet everyone's requirements. You may have to buy something you don't want and replace it with something you do want.
    2. Upgrades: A few years down the line, you can upgrade the components without throwing away everything you have.

The biggest reason to buy a brand is simplicity. It is a bundle of components that someone verified that they work together, with a single guarantee. Some people need that. Go to newegg.com and read the memory reviews, MOST of the one star ratings are "This doesn't work with my system." When you check the compatibly guide, you'll see why. Some people should not be allowed to open a computer case. Also, if you buy a brand bundle, you will probably get a legal Windows license with it. That may shift your price point.

As you have the skills to build a computer, you'll have to shop the prices and figure out which way is better for you.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      USUALLY, you can build cheaper. Particularly if you want a unique config. See reason #1 below.

Besides the price, to me, the two best reasons to build your own are:
      1. You can customize it to your desires. The "brands" sell bundles that are popular. They don't meet everyone's requirements. You may have to buy something you don't want and replace it with something you do want.
      2. Upgrades: A few years down the line, you can upgrade the components without throwing away everything you have.

The biggest reason to buy a brand is simplicity. It is a bundle of components that someone verified that they work together, with a single guarantee. Some people need that. Go to newegg.com and read the memory reviews, MOST of the one star ratings are "This doesn't work with my system." When you check the compatibly guide, you'll see why. Some people should not be allowed to open a computer case. Also, if you buy a brand bundle, you will probably get a legal Windows license with it. That may shift your price point.

As you have the skills to build a computer, you'll have to shop the prices and figure out which way is better for you.
      The good thing is, Microsoft's site seems to have a processor compatibility thing. And the good thing is, there are a number of AMD processors (I like to go AMD because they're a little cheaper than Intel).

I've heard you're supposed to start with a processor and go from there. In other words, build the rest of the hardware (motherboard, RAM, etc.) around the processor.

Windows 11 Pro is $200.

That said, if I upgrade the other components (processor, MB, RAM) I might not have to buy Windows 11, I can just upgrade directly.

What's interesting though, is my current machine says I need "Secure Boot" and some other thing, as well as a new processor, in order to upgrade. So I'll have to check that out, too.

Comment

Not a WIndows expert, but you might need to start with a clean install. Historically, Windows has had issues when you try the swap out the processor and motherboard underneath it. If you still have your Windows 10 media and key, you should be able to install it and then upgrade to 11.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My first question when it comes to build vs buy is... What is it going to be used for? Gaming, build. General home PC that plays few games or none, buy is most likely the easier option.

If you are thinking of upgrading, keep in mind power supplies. Many of the pre-builds out there use a non-standard power supply and you can only get from that maker in a very limited range of power output. That limits you in how powerful of a video card you can get later.

Also, you need a current generation CPU if you want to use Windows 11. Your 2018 CPU is very unlikely to have what is needed in it's core to work with Win11. Secure Boot is hard built into the cores of the CPU itself and can not be added to older CPUs. This new 'feature' has rendered most computers obsolete even if they are able to do everything else fine. If you run your business off this computer, you want the extra security windows 11 brings. It's not as critical for most home users though (as long as you do regular back-ups.)

AMD is the front runner right now in both performance and value. Intel is playing catch-up.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
            My first question when it comes to build vs buy is... What is it going to be used for? Gaming, build. General home PC that plays few games or none, buy is most likely the easier option.

If you are thinking of upgrading, keep in mind power supplies. Many of the pre-builds out there use a non-standard power supply and you can only get from that maker in a very limited range of power output. That limits you in how powerful of a video card you can get later.

Also, you need a current generation CPU if you want to use Windows 11. Your 2018 CPU is very unlikely to have what is needed in it's core to work with Win11. Secure Boot is hard built into the cores of the CPU itself and can not be added to older CPUs. This new 'feature' has rendered most computers obsolete even if they are able to do everything else fine. If you run your business off this computer, you want the extra security windows 11 brings. It's not as critical for most home users though (as long as you do regular back-ups.)

AMD is the front runner right now in both performance and value. Intel is playing catch-up.
            Well, I'd be using it for a wide variety of things. It's not for a business, but a number of the programs I use (Visual Studio, for example) require a good deal of "horsepower".

Comment

So I did a first run at this...here's what I came up with. Though I don't know that I need to add Win 11 or a SSD to the build. But I'm considering it, just in case I want to "start over", as it were.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DDDYnt

Comment

Check online - You may be able to still get the free upgrade to 11 directly from Microsoft. I just did a couple of months ago.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Check online - You may be able to still get the free upgrade to 11 directly from Microsoft. I just did a couple of months ago.
                  I'll check into it, but I'm not sure. It seems like a hardware compatibility problem. Although I think when I bought this machine originally it had Windows 7 on it. It's an eight year old machine, or so.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    ... had Windows 7 on it. It's an eight year old machine, or so.
                    Hausmeister's HP All-In-One came with W10, but is incapable of W11...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Hausmeister's HP All-In-One came with W10, but is incapable of W11...
                      Yes, some are. My wife's desktop was capable of being upgraded to Windows 11, however my laptop (that came with Win 10) is not.
                      Last edited by mjr; 06-01-2023, 07:58 PM.

Comment

A Windows 7 COA will work for Windows 10. That does help when upgrading.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                          A Windows 7 COA will work for Windows 10. That does help when upgrading.
                          I don't know that it'll work for Windows 11, though.

Comment

The major thing required is a board that supports TPM 2.0 -- Systems made within the last 5 years SHOULD all have this, but it's worth checking. Anything older, maybe, maybe not.

That being said, I've been on 11 for a couple months now, and I'm about to revert to 10, to be perfectly honest; it needs more time in the oven. I find it less responsive and more picky about little things; boot time is still really fast (using an NVME), but program and app launch time is significantly slower. Also, it's annoying not having small things I rely upon such as being able to pull up a proper Start Menu with the 'Windows' key, having a drastically different Start Menu in the first place (even with the widgets disabled), and not being able to drag up on a taskbar icon to get a 'recent folders/files' list. Not a fan of the new context (right-click) menu, either.

PS My original rig was also win 7; I had to upgrade the hardware anyway because the old one had a bad case of "being 7 years old" and "CPU fried itself."
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

PS My original rig was also win 7; I had to upgrade the hardware anyway because the old one had a bad case of "being 7 years old" and "CPU fried itself."
                              That's kind of the case with mine. I think it's something like 8 years old. I need something a little more heavy-duty for the things I want/need to do with it (Visual Studio, audio/video editing, graphics editing, other types of data processing and programming).

I'm also going to go with an AMD build. From what I understand they're just as good (or better) than Intel. Microsoft has a list of processors compatible with Win 11.
                              Last edited by mjr; 06-02-2023, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X