Government "benefits"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government "benefits"

So I'm trying to file for unemployment for sick leave, and I'm dealing with one of those lovely online forms that governments love to use these days ...

Just came across a question asking when I started receiving Canada Pension. That was FIVE YEARS AGO. I absolutely do not remember the exact date. And my online banking function won't let me go back more than two years. I'm not sure how to find out this petty little detail. Going to call them up tomorrow and see if they've got any advice.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Will it just let you put in 2018? Does it specify it has to be the exact date-if not,I'd just put in 1/1 for it.*

*or 1/1 if you're American...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

You've gotta love bureaucracy, huh?
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
        Will it just let you put in 2018? Does it specify it has to be the exact date-if not,I'd just put in 1/1 for it.*

*or 1/1 if you're American...
        Nice.
        I don't think so. I closed down the document yesterday (I've got a PIN to get back to the same document within 72 hours) but IIRC it requires a specific date.

Quoth Ghel View Post
        You've gotta love bureaucracy, huh?
        "Love" isn't quite the word I'd use ... and it's even more fun these days because trying to get anything other than online info is often a futile effort.

So I spent about 3 hours today trying to find somebody who could help. My bank's "Contact Centre" couldn't help -- they couldn't go further back than two years either (WAT??) I left a message for a local branch (which, I'm told, CAN go back further, which makes no sense to me at all) but who knows when or if I'll get a callback.

I called the Canada Pension contact number. "Your wait time is at least 45 minutes ...."

It finally dawned on me that I'm trying to file for UNEMPLOYMENT, so why not try calling the UNEMPLOYMENT contact number.
        To my absolute shock, a real live human being picked up the phone after 3 or 4 rings.

Not only that, but he managed to fine what I think is the correct date (close enough, anyway). I had an old letter telling me my application was approved and the first payment would be deposited "in the near future." The date the Unemployment guy gave me was the end of the month following the letter.

Unemployment employee suggested I call CPP just to verify it. Hahaha, thank you but NO.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
        X