I hate passive aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate passive aggression

This may be a misperception but I think my brother is trying to antagonize me.
    I work from home. Family is generally quiet but today there's been a lot of slamming around bringing camping gear in. Also the usual slamming of the microwave door and whatever. It always bothers me but I turn on a loud fan video or do whatever I have to to drown it out. I normally don't raise my voice about it and I held my tongue for hours today.

We have had a major conflict in the last year but the last few months we've gotten along OK and he's included me a little more in his life. I feel tension again today which I don't know is only on my side or what.

He was in the next room which shares a wall with me and I think was playing music or a music vid that was distracting me. I had had enough of the distractions and while it was not a huge deal, it really triggered me because of the bass sounds. Sometimes I feel like music is a weapon, especially since he has sung made-up lyrics about me at the top of his lungs when he was mad at me. This was probably totally unintentional but I got irritated since my productivity is down. I did raise my voice, though it probably sounded like every other time I've done that in frustration with my computer or monitor. In short, he may or may not have known he was bothering me. I regret saying anything and not just putting something on the speaker to drown it out, which I did secondarily. All seemed OK after a while and he went to the store. Came back all happy.

Then he went to feed the squirrels. He talks to them because he's silly. He literally said to one of them, as if the squirrel was saying it, "My snack is more important than anyone else's." This was specifically when I was in the kitchen in hearing distance. I can't really hear words if I'm in my room with the door closed. I could now and I wonder if that's why it was said. It felt like a dig at he thinks I'm saying my job is more important than what they want to do today. I've been accused of thinking I'm more important than anyone else.

Addendum: I knew that there was the possibility that I was misconstruing things and I totally was. I can now see the reasons for the little things I picked up on and they had to do with him being sick (the seeming to ignore me) and just not realizing he was bothering me which is my fault. I need to speak up more. Anyway, the problem with me working at home is still there. I'm expecting them to act like they're in an office in their own home. If I had space in the basement or a room offset from busy areas, it would be better. We have a small house. My room is right off the kitchen and bathroom and his shares a wall with mine. Also I am the only one who can close the door (by the kitchen) quietly. Disruption is inevitable. So I need to look at going to the office even though I don't want to. Or starting earlier while they are still asleep. Still hard to ask people to do nothing for 8 hours.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 09-09-2023, 06:49 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    Sometimes I feel like music is a weapon ....
    It absolutely can be, whether intentionally or not. Years ago I lived in an apartment that was oddly built: the wall on one side was fairly solid; the wall separating me from the apartment on the other side was so thin you could hear the tenant put flatware down on their kitchen table. Initially it wasn't an issue because the tenant was very quiet. Then he moved out and Drunken Asshole moved in. He played music so loud the windows rattled. The local police said it wasn't their problem. The super said it wasn't his problem, at least not after 8 p.m. at night. I was never so glad to get out of a place and in fact out of that area (the nickname for the local cops was the Not Real Police).

Also, I don't think I've heard the story of why you're staying there, but if it's getting on your nerves this much, perhaps you should consider moving out, unless that's not feasible on the basis of finances. Other people's needs and/or convenience is NOT more important than your mental health.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Not 10 minutes after posting this it's being played louder. I could barely afford my bills if I moved by working 55 hours a week. I did it; I could. Just wouldn't have a savings. I have two videos of floor fans on in two tabs pretty loud and I'll hang the speaker on my closet door. Hopefull I can hear my client through the headset.

If I move out, he has to take over half the bills because Mom can't do it. I will be financially strained but they're gonna suffer because the utilities are more here. Brother was talking about getting a house with his friend whose family will sell the farm he lives on when the patriarch dies (coming shortly, sadly). Friend works the farm now but may have to move once his father dies. Brother feels sad for him and thought having him as a roomie would help. If I moved out he'd be torn between Mom and his friend. I'd like for him to move in with Friend, not because of what goes on here, but because I have compassion for Friend who does all the work since his brothers won't help.

At any rate, if either of us moves out, we both have to take on second jobs. It's better financially for us to all stay here and I hate moving, but I could do it.

It's been a few hours and now he's using my kitchen towel to clean grease which is hard to get out. (We have cleaning towels for that.) He knows I don't like it. Mom and I asked that the pure white sackcloth ones be used for that; they can be bleached. That's why I took down the newer pretty ones before he got home. He's also totally ignoring me. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm leaning toward I did something pretty innocuous like closing a window because I was cold (if I know him, that was it) but he was offended and now I'm being punished.

So it could be weeks or months before he speaks directly to me. This will go on for a while and then he'll suddenly ask me a question directly or offer to do something for me and I'll be shocked. Then I'll do something else unawares or feel frustrated about something and we'll go back into this. It's a cycle.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 09-07-2023, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Ugh. I do see the situation you're in, and I'm sorry you're stuck IN this situation. The best you can do (and I realize it's easier said than done) is do your utmost to just let this roll off your back and pretend he doesn't exist when he gets like this. People do this to get a reaction and it really pisses them off when they don't get that reaction.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Music is often a weapon. Have you any friends who might work as a roommate?
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

No, everyone is married with a full house, but I don't think I'd move in with someone else. Plus I have never been able to live with people. It's never worked out. I'm one of those who need to manage my own single household. Half this house is mine but I get treated like it isn't. I feel in the way and they probably feel I'm intruding, if I he is angry and if I know why he is.
            Pix is right; I need to let it roll. Having trouble with that. He's easily offended. Well, so am I but I work really hard to just fix what I can and let it go. I really hold myself back from any passive aggression, remembering I moved here to be a help to my mom.

Comment

Working...
            X