Got some questions on Vampire lore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some questions on Vampire lore...

I'm a fan of "What We Do In The Shadows", but this isn't necessarily relevant to that show.

First, if you're injured (say, you have a broken arm or a bad back) and a vampire bites you so you turn into a vampire, are you stuck with that particular injury?

Where did "Vampire OCD" come from?

What happens to the soul of someone who gets turned into a vampire?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

A lot of this is going to depend on where you get your lore. In the novel Dracula, the titular character seems to get younger and healthier when he’s well-fed. It seems to me that injuries and age-related degeneration would heal in that case.

I think the vampire OCD thing is pretty old, but I don’t know where it comes from. I remember hearing that one of the old folklore things was if a vampire is chasing you, to throw a handful of seeds or rice on the ground. The vampire will be compelled to count them, allowing you to get away. Depending on the lore, though, don’t count on them burning up when the sun rises. Dracula, for example, was perfectly fine going out in the sun.

I don’t believe in souls, so
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Considering vampires are fictional, you can make up whatever lore you want them to have. If no one believes you, just tell them you read it in an old book.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

The vampiric weakness to sunlight is something that's developed over time in vampire fiction. The Vampyre (1819) didn't have a sunlight weakness, but moonlight could heal and revive them. Dracula (1897) only lost his vampiric powers in the sunlight. It was the film Nosferatu (1922) that first introduced the idea that sunlight could kill them.

But Ironclad Alibi is right, since vampires are fictional, you can have them work and behave however you want. I think some vampire stories have featured vamps who still have the scars they bore in their mortal life (sometimes even the puncture marks from the vampire bite that turned them), but I can't say whether that's 100% true or not.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The Monster Hunter International books by Larry Correia from Baen have some interesting takes...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            I'm a fan of "What We Do In The Shadows", but this isn't necessarily relevant to that show.

First, if you're injured (say, you have a broken arm or a bad back) and a vampire bites you so you turn into a vampire, are you stuck with that particular injury?

Where did "Vampire OCD" come from?

What happens to the soul of someone who gets turned into a vampire?
            Vampires (according to folklore) have no souls. That's why they don't cast a reflection in a mirror. Time was when someone died, all the windows and doors of the house were opened, and all the mirrors covered, so that the soul would fly to heaven and not be trapped here on earth.

Comment

Working...
            X