Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took Computer Systems Engineering - which is bits of Computer Science, Electronic Engineering and Systems Engineering all rolled into one handy bundle.

In my first year, like all freshmen at this particular university, we were required to take three different courses - which would be treated as prerequisites for the actual degree course for the remaining two years. This had the dual effects of allowing people to try out subjects that they hadn't previously considered, and ensuring that complete no-hopes didn't get through to the main courses.

So for the first year, I took Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, and Physics. But I quickly discovered that the Physics course was geared strongly towards people who would be taking the real Physics major course, and went at a furious pace - so I switched, with full credit, to the Physics Studies course, which was at a gentler pace but still decent science - concentrating on qualitative effects while still introducing the most important quantitative formulae. There was a third Elements of Physics course for liberal-arts types, which essentially bypassed all pretensions of quantitativity and had a high topical-essay count instead, but I said NO to that one!

The Electronics and Physics courses were fine - the people there were usually genuinely interested and able to at least vaguely keep up. The "real winners" showed up in Computing - which at the time was riding on the dot-com boom. People took this course because it was seen as easy money. They were in for a double shock there.

There were, of course, a few geniuses there, of both genders. I was among them, though not necessarily at the very top of the heap. I made a name for myself by going above and beyond the call of duty, and also by managing to network my computers (of which I had an increasingly impressive number, bought with not-beer money) well beyond the campus network rules.

Then there were a decent number of competent students. Most of them had at least tried a little programming before, so the concepts involved in Java were not totally alien. These people I could help by pointing out where their mistakes were, and sometimes why.

Then there were the people who simply hadn't considered that a computer could be programmable before. Who thought that being okay with Micro$oft Office was sufficient experience for a Computer Science course. A few weeks in, I leaned over the shoulder of a girl who already had half a dozen people trying to work out why her Java program wasn't compiling... to discover that she had paid absolutely no attention to the order of the statements. Most of the right statements were there, but there were declarations after use, computations performed in the wrong order, and probably inputs performed after outputs. As soon as I pointed out this fundamental flaw in thinking, everyone else realised what to do to continue fixing the problem.

I don't remember whether that girl finished the course or went on to the full course. There were just too many people to keep track of.

At the end of the first year we were assigned a group project for Computing. There were four people in my group, and I quickly determined that there were three people capable of programming, and conveniently there were three major modules of the program to be written. The fourth guy admitted he wasn't any good at programming, so I had him do testing and documentation instead. This was fine - it was just the first-year course, and I was willing to cut him some slack for putting some effort in and admitting his limitations.

I would do the code which glued everything together - this also allowed me to define the interfaces to the other parts. The second guy was assigned to do the database backend. This he did reasonably well - I found some problems but he was able to fix them. The third guy was assigned to do, essentially, the GUI - and we didn't hear a peep out of him for nearly a month. With deadlines approaching and all the other work we could usefully do done, I wrote the GUI myself.

By the time the third guy submitted his code, I - with some help from #2 - had extended the program to include several extra features (which was encouraged for this competitive project). But #3's code encompassed only the bare minimum features. Worse, it was buggy and didn't even compile. To save the project, I had to reject his contribution, and note that in the project report (which I also had to write, as the de-facto leader).

There was yet another complication: the official workstations had been upgraded to a beta version of the Java runtime. Which was spectacularly buggy in itself. About half the teams managed, with a lot of effort, to work around the bugs. I bypassed it by not using the official workstations to develop or demonstrate our work - instead, two PowerBooks and a 486 running Linux.

The 486 was predictably dog-slow, but sufficed for testing, while the PowerBooks were very fast (PowerPC models, and with one of the first JIT VMs) but trickier to get Java working on. One of the lab assistants said I should win just for making Java work on a Mac! I also helped some other teams by rescuing them from the buggy workstations and demonstrating their work on the PowerBooks.

In the event, my team didn't win. But we did get second place through sheer dint of effort - and the first-place project was noticeably better than ours. But the #3 guy had really held us back by not putting in the effort we expected of him, despite frequent reminders of the important parts of the schedule. Apparently, his mark was indeed reduced on the basis of my report.

The real winner I didn't meet until much later - in the third-year course. Remembering that we had been working with Java literally since Day One, and by then we'd studied many fundamental algorithms in the classroom... I was paired in the lab to study an extremely simple substitution cipher. Which we were supposed to implement. Being experienced, I just went ahead and wrote the code - just a half-dozen lines or so of simple C++ code.

And then I turned to my partner and said something like: "Since we're supposed to be working on this together, do you at least understand what I just wrote?"

He didn't.

"What about these three lines here? They actually do the substitution. Can you see how they work?"

Nope.

"Are you telling me that after two and a half years of supposedly using Java, you can't read this simple for-loop, which would make perfect sense in that language?"

Essentially, yes.

I don't know whether he got a good grade either. I hope he didn't.

Comment

Quoth LingualMonkey View Post
      A sad percentage of my students, when asked for their favorite book on the first day of class, respond with "I don't have a favorite book. I hate reading."
      *L* That reminds me of another story from that Freshman Composition class with my awesome prof from junior college. This class was a combo literature/composition class--we'd read stories, poems, etc., discuss them in class, and write about them. Naturally, I LOVED this class, and would often stay in the classroom during the 15 minute break to chat with the prof about the reading. Anyhow, when we got to the section on poetry, he was trying to demonstrate that it's very difficult to give a succinct description of what poetry is. He handed out a copy of Jabberwocky to demonstrate that even nonsense can be poetry. He jokingly asked if anyone volunteered to read it in front of the class, and was shocked when I instantly agreed; he was even more surprised when I did it without stumbling over any of it, and keeping a consistent rythym.

He later went around the class and asked people what kind of poetry they liked. Most people muttered something about some poem or other, but one guy actually said, "I don't like poetry, but I guess anything that rhymes is ok." Cool thing, though, he later fell in love with the works of William Blake, and volunteered to read The Tyger in front of the class. So that was cool.

(Fav poet apart from Dante: T.S. Eliot.)
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

No wonder English on the internet is in such a sad, sad state. Sure, I loves me some lolcat kitten-pidgin (im in ur tubez, blokin ur internetz!), but the crap I see online would bring any teacher to tears.

As an aside, I'd be fine with the OP as an English teacher. Just so long as he doesn't ask me to write any poetry. I can't be poetic to save my life. I think I've failed miserably every time a teacher's asked me to. Limerick for high school sophomore English? Made of fail. Sonnet for senior English? Uber fail. Miscellaneous poem for college Comp II? Such epic fail I may as well have not turned it in at all.

Short stories were another matter entirely. All my high school english teachers loved my work. Understandable, I suppose, since I spent a good bit of my sophomore and junior years writing a short story based on some fantasy role-playing I'd done. Back then, I actually wanted to be a writer. I'm not so sure I could produce something of that quality now though. I find it hard to come up with anything, as if I have a persistent case of writer's block, or a sizable chunk of my imagination just up and died on me some years ago.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
          I can't be poetic to save my life.
          Ah, there is a poet in everyone. Hell, I can use your very words to show you the poet in you.....

Teacher, nay! Not poetry!
          Miserable failure looms.
          Limericks, sonnets, random poems--
          My past failure at such is epic.
          It would have been better for all
          had I never turned such garbage in.
          Now, ask me for a short story,
          and such glorious work you will see.
          Back in the day, I could spin
          such beautiful words of fantasy
          and role-playing
          the likes of which you've never seen!
          Alas, that is past.
          Today is a different animal.
          My mind is blocked from writing--
          Try as I might, the pen is still.
          I dare say to you,
          my friends,
          that my once-vaunted imagination
          is now as cold and still
          as Jester's sex life.
          Move on!

See, it's all in how you take the same thoughts and re-arrange them. We'll make a poet of you yet, my friend!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I can understand where the OP is coming from since I've had similar experiences - at least from the student side of things.

The first college I ever attended was only possible with a lot of scholarship money - scholarships that I wasn't willing to work hard enough to keep. (Yes, I was that lazy student at the expensive, small liberal arts school.)

I ended up having to leave that school and a few years later entered the local community college, as a precursor to finishing up at the 4 year institution. Anyway, most of my credits - both college and high school - transferred over, but for some unremembered reason my English coursework didn't.

Ultimately I had to take English Comp 1 and 2 - the basic level English courses that probably should have been titled "How to write a complete sentence in your own language." Most of the classes consisted of small groups of us sitting around and providing peer-review of papers we had written for as part of class assignments; the problem was that while I would really try and provide good feed-back on the papers I read, most of my classmates preferred chit-chatting with each other or seem intimidated by the prospect of "advising" others. While a few of us took the class seriously and put in the work, most of it appeared wasted on my classmates.

I felt bad for our teacher, since most of the students were the stereotypical community college types that were uninterested in learning and had probably been pushed into school by their parents. Those few of us who showed an interest in learning really didn't benefit much by way of class activities. [On the bright side those were among the easiest A's I have ever received.]

Incidentally, I've found this thread fun to follow because it's given me a number of new books to check-out. "High Rise" and "Atlas Shrugged" look particularly interesting.
            Last edited by Alpha Strike; 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM.
            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Ah, there is a poet in everyone.
              See, it's all in how you take the same thoughts and re-arrange them. We'll make a poet of you yet, my friend!
              *L* I wanna play!

Jester makes poetry from post
              In an effort to show that poetry is in all
              But T.S. Eliot still kicks Jester's butt at
              Writing poetry.

Joi can write "poetry" too
              But has learned from long experience
              Never to share the product of her attempts at
              Writing poetry.

Just to be a brat, I write
              "Poetry" from work desk. Has actual scheme
              And cool repetitions. But I still suck at
              Writing poetry.

Ok, I will stop now. I am in a bratty mood this week, apparently.
              "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

The bizarre thing is that I only have a C grade at GCSE English (what you usually take at age 16 in England). I was excellent at writing and taking exams, but due to a very bad teacher I was marked F for in-class participation.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  2. When in Middle School (and sometimes to this day) I was somewhat known for reading and walking. And I don't mean pacing back and forth while reading, I mean reading and entire 50 page book on the walk home from school, including crossing streets. I stopped at every street, looked up, looked both ways, then nose in book again.
                  I do this too! People always ask me how, all I can say is... I just do. It's not hard. Front brain deals with book, rest of brain deals with all other input (including space around book in peripheral vision and audio).

Glad to know I'm not alone
                  ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                    My parents' response at the first teacher conference after that discovery was "We DID warn you..."
                    And here I didn't know I had a twin all whole time.

My first P/T conference went a little opposite.

T: First Grade Teacher
                    P My Parents*

T: ...otherwise, there's just one problem I have with Geek King. I can't keep him away from the book shelf when he finishes an assignment early. He just won't stay in his seat and sit quietly.
                    P: Well, is he finishing the assignments?
                    T: Well, yes.
                    P: And are they done correctly.
                    T: Yes, very well usually.
                    P: Does he put the book down when class continues?
                    T: Normally, yes.
                    P: So where's the problem? If he's quiet and not bothering the others, why not let him read?

No problems after that in that class. I'm told it was even in my permanant record all the way through high school.

I did have problems later though. Not just with my classmates, but with teachers too. There are some teachers who are just not equiped to handle bright students. I (and a small group of other smartasses students) spent a fair amount of time in trouble with some teachers because we'd get bored after finishing an assignment that was to last the entire class hour in the first fifteen minutes.

*My parents learned very early that the way to keep me out of trouble was to put a book in my hands. By this time, I was already reading things about D-Day and Iwo Jima. I didn't understand everything, but my father was very good about explaining things I didn't understand when I asked him. He probably got tired of being my personal dictionary for those years, though.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      *My parents learned very early that the way to keep me out of trouble was to put a book in my hands.
                      Same here! When my mom needed to take me with her to a musical ensemble rehearsal when I was 2, she just stuck me in a playpen with a book. I was quiet the whole hour. None of her friends could believe that a kid that young could be that into a book.

It was just a taste of what was to come.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        I (and a small group of other smartasses students) spent a fair amount of time in trouble with some teachers because we'd get bored after finishing an assignment that was to last the entire class hour in the first fifteen minutes.
                        I have been known to finish assignments early too, but one time in particular got me a small bit of notoriety with both the teacher and other student for a few days.

We were doing something with math in (I think) fourth grade. As I have said many times, I am very good at math. Anyways, the teacher wanted was just tossing something out there, expecting to keep the class busy for a few minutes.

TEACHER: "Class, out of 25 of you, 16 of you got the last problem right. What is the percentage that got it right?"
                        JESTER, immediately blurting out: "Sixty four percent."

The other kids started laughing, until they saw the look on the teacher's face that told them, damn, Jester got it on the nose!

I know, I know, that's basic math, but for a fourth grader, that was pretty damn good!

(The teacher stopped trying to challenge me with math after that. After all, I had already done fifth grade math when I was only in first grade!)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

My parents always read to me when I was little, and my dad would point out the words as he read them. They never realized they'd taught me to read until they bought me a new book and I insisted on reading it to them all by myself. Somewhere around there's a picture of me as a toddler, hair up in pigtails, sitting next to my parents' bookcase reading a book that looks as big as me...

I did the reading in class thing all the way into high school. I was a tricky little thing...always reading library books so the teachers couldn't keep them until the end of the year because they had to be turned in. In high school one of my teachers finally outsmarted me and returned the book to the school library herself as "I found this and didn't want the student to get late fees".

That's when I started writing my own stories in class. Writing stories, taking notes, how can you tell the difference? I'm putting words in a notebook...
                          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I've talked about this before....but there's always been plenty of reading material at my disposal. Not surprising, since I'd taught *myself* to read. How I did it, I don't remember. What I do remember, is while the other students were reading about Dick and Jane, I was reading about sports cars. (Does that really surprise anyone ) I might not have known what was being discussed, but after poring over a book featuring "cutaway" photos of various cars, the blank spots soon got filled. 30 years on, I still can't get enough. I have most of the MG books, plus many dealing with whatever project I'm working on. As if that wasn't enough, there are literally several thousand magazines in my office, bedroom, living room, etc. I'm sure the sight of my research materials drives most people nuts, but oh well. I get plenty of use out of them.

For example, before the MG came home, I did plenty of reading on it. I knew a fair bit already about what could go wrong...from taking the car apart. However, reading all those books, plus the magazine articles, only increased my knowledge. My reasoning being...

1. If I know what goes wrong, I can fix it, and
                            2. If I can fix it, I can probably *improve* on it.

Even with the car (supposedly ) nearing completion, there's always something that I didn't know before.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

In one of my community college history classes, my teacher, while discussing the results of a recent test, said "How many of you pisscutters couldn't figure out which state was named for William Penn?!"

That made me a sad panda. Evidently there were quite a few students who flubbed that particular question.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It sounds like if this board could write the next great American novel if we put our minds to it. I'm a self-confessed writer myself, and I owe it to reading a lot in grade class. I wasn't the master of the language in grade school, but I did awesome in junior high school, better than some high school seniors. That made me feel good when I was a kid, but made me weep when I realized what that meant for some high school seniors.

I had a roommate in college that insisted in trying to have multiple girls on each arm as he played Starcraft all day. And he was good at that. The one thing he was not good at was keeping his mouth shut... he didn't do too well in the academic world, last I heard. The teachers didn't exactly appreciate being interrupted by cell phone calls and his arguing with the professors in his classes. Just one more reassurance, to me, that the people with the biggest egos and the smallest brains are always the most sure that they're superior.
                                "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

Working...
                                X