X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
    -SNIP-(as in: "Closed Saturday's")-Snip
    There's only one condition that it's quite alright to use an apostrophy with a day of the week in my book.... when you review or do anything involving G.K. Chesterton's The Man who was Thursday...otherwise, go back to school.

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
    In that same vein, I was in a class with a would-be middle school English teacher who, throughout the entire semester, never once used your or you're correctly and once asked me if the word season should be capitalized.
    Yes it should..... if at the beginning of a sentence, and I guss he's lucky, most folks I know now would do UR....and is it bad of me that I always say, what about the ancient capital of Sumeria when I see it typed?

As an addition, I'm trying to get back on track to my AAS, then my Masters in English, and Bachelors in Education....and be the hard ass English teacher who is blacklisted by athletics departments.

Oh, and my favorite teacher in High School, the entire English department (NONE of them took any crap from coaches, especially the main US History one who was the (American) Football/Wrestling coach... yeah, Academics used to be important there....now yer better off getting a GED from the alternative school, and going to a community college.

And on my reading lists right now, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Michael Moorcock), The Man who was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton), and soon to be adding The King in Yellow (Robert W. Chambers).

and I loved the looks I got for reading The Divine Comedy for a report in Freshman English in high school.
    Last edited by bunnyboy; 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
      is it bad of me that I always say, what about the ancient capital of Sumeria when I see it typed?

And on my reading lists right now, The Man who was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton)
      You are my kind of book geek! *loves Man Who Was Thursday, but not as much as Manalive*
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I'm sorry to say, I don't read as much as I used to, and that may be because in high school and college I ended up in a lot of classes where you had to read stories and then write interpretation essays about some detail in the story.

And I wasn't very good at that. And as a result, I ended up trying to read too much into specific details and couldn't really get my enjoyment out of the story as a whole.

It really sucks. I think I'm more into humor and non-fiction these days.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I used to read quite a bit (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) but really haven't read anything in the past couple years (avg about 2-4 250pg books). I am also one of those people who get sucked into a book. Back in high school my parents would either throw something or smack me upside the head to get my attention.
          I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
            You are my kind of book geek! *loves Man Who Was Thursday, but not as much as Manalive*
            Oddly, I'm one of those few who likes to read either classics of a Genre (Lewis, Howard, and Dunnasy for fantasy, Verne, Lovecraft, Borroughs for Weird fiction, and some of the classics) or read really obscure books....mmm the more obscure the better, at one point I was considering readin Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwer-Lytton....but decided against it...my brain might not be able to handle so much overblown prose.

Who did Manalive....sounds obscure enough I might like it.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
              Who did Manalive....sounds obscure enough I might like it.
              *L* G. K. Chesterton. If you want a more obscure book of Chesterton's, read Club of Queer Trades, or The Poet and the Lunatics.

Btw, this awesome site has all of Lovecraft online: http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...aft/index.html I'm slowly reading my way through it.
              "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                *L* G. K. Chesterton. If you want a more obscure book of Chesterton's, read Club of Queer Trades, or The Poet and the Lunatics.

Btw, this awesome site has all of Lovecraft online: http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...aft/index.html I'm slowly reading my way through it.

Would you believe I had not slept when I asked?

No...Uhm...Hey what's that over there?

Comment

Back in school, our in-school library was my favorite place to spend breaks and free hours. So much to read... I still love reading, even though nowadays, I don't have as much time as I used to have.

Favorite book: Midnight Sun by Karl Edward Wagner. Best piece(s) of Fantasy I have ever read.
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                    *sigh* I need to find a library. I buy a new book, and within hours I'm finished. It took me about 4.5 hours to read the last Harry Potter book...
                    Same. I can read a 600 page novel in 4-5 hours. I've actually stopped buying books since I read them so quickly that its simply not a cost effective way to pass the time. And the local library was torn down and rebuilt as a wanna-be book store. During the rebuilding process they removed all of the good paperbacks and now only stock it with brand new hardback books.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                      Same. I can read a 600 page novel in 4-5 hours. I've actually stopped buying books since I read them so quickly that its simply not a cost effective way to pass the time. And the local library was torn down and rebuilt as a wanna-be book store. During the rebuilding process they removed all of the good paperbacks and now only stock it with brand new hardback books.
                      I swear, there should be a club for speed readers. You undergo a test to determine your reading and comprehension speed, and if you pass, you get XX % off each book you buy. If you buy X amount of books per year, your discount gets increased by X %.
                      Of course, it will never take off
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        I swear, there should be a club for speed readers. You undergo a test to determine your reading and comprehension speed, and if you pass, you get XX % off each book you buy. If you buy X amount of books per year, your discount gets increased by X %.
                        Of course, it will never take off
                        The funny thing is that I didn't even realize speed reading existed. I thought everyone read at that speed, at least until I had to take a stupid speed reading test thing in high school. I basically maxed out the score and of course the entire segment of the class was a waste of time for me, considering that I had a higher rate of reading and comprehension than the teacher himself.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                          Back in school, our in-school library was my favorite place to spend breaks and free hours. So much to read... I still love reading, even though nowadays, I don't have as much time as I used to have.
                          Oh, gods, yes. And I'm another who used to be able to read and walk at the same time. I'd walk down to the public library with my nose in a book I was returning, and walk back from the library with my nose in a new one, and have it half read by the time I got home. Granted, it was almost a mile walk, but still . . .

Maybe I should try to cultivate that skill again?

Comment

I'm Photochick and I read to much. (Anyone else feel like were confessing to something bad?) When I was younger my parents would punish me by taking away my books. Being sent to my room also didn't work cause I had such a vivid imagination from all the books I read. I bought an iPod and I use it more to read (internet and eBooks) than I do to listen to music.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                              There's only one condition that it's quite alright to use an apostrophy with a day of the week in my book.... when you review or do anything involving G.K. Chesterton's The Man who was Thursday...otherwise, go back to school.
                              May I introduce you to Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? Good reading for book-lovers of the quirky, scientific-y sort.

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                              I'm Photochick and I read to much. (Anyone else feel like were confessing to something bad?) When I was younger my parents would punish me by taking away my books. Being sent to my room also didn't work cause I had such a vivid imagination from all the books I read. I bought an iPod and I use it more to read (internet and eBooks) than I do to listen to music.
                              Oh my god! My parents did that too! I was punished for a whole 9-week grading period by having my books packed up. (I had gotten a C in a class because I didn't do all the assignments or turn them in.)

I started sneaking reading the World Book Encyclopedia.
                              Last edited by Broomjockey; 10-25-2008, 07:18 AM. Reason: consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                                May I introduce you to Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? Good reading for book-lovers of the quirky, scientific-y sort.
                                I LOVE Jasper Fforde!!!!! The Thursday Next books make me laugh out loud, I have the hardest time reading them quietly.

Comment

Working...
                                X