Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If/when there's a remake of Gone With the Wind, I just might have to go on a rampage.

However, if they were to remake Scarlett, I can only hope it would be MUCH better than the original.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
      If/when there's a remake of Gone With the Wind, I just might have to go on a rampage.

However, if they were to remake Scarlett, I can only hope it would be MUCH better than the original.
      I love Scarlett just the way it is . . . Timothy Dalton is the next best thing to the late Clark Cable IMO. Joanne Whalley-Kilmer (as she was billed then) did a decent job as Scarlett but the book adaptation itself lacked quite a bit from the novel (as did GWTW.)

The last decent remake I saw of a tv show was SWAT with Samuel L. Jackson and LL Cool J. The original series (and I have season 1 on DVD) was good (especially for its time) but the film remake was definitely awesome. And Steve Forrest appeared at the very end with the truck asking "Where to?" just brought back the memories of the series.

Of course, most remakes seem to suck. Starsky and Hutch? Dukes of Hazzard? I boycotted those just on the idea of none of the original stars playing the original characters.

I've heard rumblings through the years about a possible "CHiPs" remake as well as one for "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (which was very popular back in the mid 1960's) but so far nothing's materialized.

May be for the best . . . some things you just don't tamper with. Kinda like the old saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Have not seen Mamma Mia on Broadway but did see the movie. Now I'm a big ABBA fan(and not afraid to admit it) but I was not impressed with their singing...AT ALL!!! But the plot of the movie was good. I'd still buy it. Phantom of the Opera movie was awesome if only to look at Gerard Butler.
        Bewitched...a movie about a witch playing a witch in a remake of the tv show...yeah, lame.
        Dukes of Hazzard...who thought that was a good idea?!?!?!?
        Hairspray...loooved it lots

Honestly, why remake classics? Is Hollywood running out of good ideas, or ideas in general? Do we really need six Saw movies? I hated the first one and stopped watching the second about two minutes in(I have no attention span). All we are doing is turning to books which are good and butchering them on screen. AAAAH!!! Okay, i feel better
        "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

I have to agree on principle, though some remakes are pretty good. I tend to look a them as new movies, with no association to the old ones. That way I don't get too upset.

I'm looking forward to the new Witch Mountain movie. I vaguely remember the originals. I tried to rent them from NetFlix but suddenly everybody is interested in seeing it...

On the new Star Trek movie, I'm on the fence. I'll have to wait until I can see it and see how it turns out.

Hollywood has access to a ton of stuff to make movies and shows out of, if they would simply do it. Trouble is, a lot of what they have to work with doesn't fit into their narrow field of what makes a good movie. Take Ender's Game for example. The book was wonderful, but when it came time to make a movie from it, the producers kept insisting that Ender needed to be older and have a love-interest in order to sell the movie. If you don't know, Ender was like 8 in the original book. I would have completely changed the feel of the story.

Bah, all we can do is pick and choose our entertainment out of the schlock they put out and hope it's with the price. We saw Coroline this week and it was marvelous. Something fresh and new (as far as I can tell) and produced in 3D, which made the movie. I highly recommend it, but you may consider the rating before bringing younglings to see it.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
            I'm looking forward to the new Witch Mountain movie. I vaguely remember the originals. I tried to rent them from NetFlix but suddenly everybody is interested in seeing it...
            I'm lucky... I picked up the DVD with both "Escape to..." and "Return from..." for about $10. Gotta love the DVD bargain bin!

On the new Star Trek movie, I'm on the fence. I'll have to wait until I can see it and see how it turns out.
            Agreed. The thing that makes me (kind of) want to see it is that Simon Pegg (Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) is Scotty.

Hollywood has access to a ton of stuff to make movies and shows out of, if they would simply do it. Trouble is, a lot of what they have to work with doesn't fit into their narrow field of what makes a good movie. Take Ender's Game for example. The book was wonderful, but when it came time to make a movie from it, the producers kept insisting that Ender needed to be older and have a love-interest in order to sell the movie. If you don't know, Ender was like 8 in the original book. I would have completely changed the feel of the story.
            This story reminded me of an interview someone did with John Cleese... Apparently some US TV producer was wanting to buy the rights of the series "Fawlty Towers" to reproduce in the States. The deal breaker was that the US producers wanted to completely remove Basil from the show!
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              I love Scarlett just the way it is . . . Timothy Dalton is the next best thing to the late Clark Cable IMO. Joanne Whalley-Kilmer (as she was billed then) did a decent job as Scarlett but the book adaptation itself lacked quite a bit from the novel (as did GWTW.)
              Duly noted.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                I'm lucky... I picked up the DVD with both "Escape to..." and "Return from..." for about $10. Gotta love the DVD bargain bin!
                Actually, that's the disk that NetFlix has, both movies on one DVD. I might have to see if I can pick up a copy instead. It'll probably ship to me the day I do.

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Depends on how it's made pretty much. But as much as it's easy to dump on them, people ARE going to see them and making money. I hear Friday the 13th shot to number one on the first weekend. But the entertainment industry does tend to go overboard on something they hit it off with.

But I swear to God: If they remake freakin' "Dumb and Dumber" then Hollywood needs to experience a good earthquake.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    I love Scarlett just the way it is . . .

Joanne Whalley-Kilmer (as she was billed then) did a decent job as Scarlett but the book adaptation itself lacked quite a bit from the novel (as did GWTW.)
                    Couldn't she at least have worn green contacts?
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Wait wait, stop the train....did I read a few pages back that there WILL be a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street? And without the original Freddy?

Well there goes that idea......no use even seeing that one. I boycott.

I saw Friday the 13th last Friday, it actually wasn't so bad. But I didn't watch any of the credits so I didn't see if it was the original Jason or not.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I note that no-one has yet mentioned "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Personally, I'm not sure. I was waiting for the 'password' thing said to Klaatu (blah blah Niktu).

Fawlty Towers without Basil??? WFT?
                        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Working...
                        X