X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just stunned...

And not quite sure I can exhale yet.

We have these neighbors..actually, the daughter of the wife of the Shitbird Who Used To Live Next Door (Formerly The Shitbird Next Door, or SND for short) and her husband who are, believe it or not, very, very nice people. I don't want to state their business here, but suffice it to say they have their hands full right now and have for several months. I'm trying to be patient with them. We have a nice relationship with them and I'd like to keep it that way.

The problem: They have this dog out back I'm suprised someone hasn't shot or poisoned yet. This dog is a horse, and sounds like a heavy mortar range when he barks. This dog does this like 15 feet away from my kitchen door and let me tell you something, Constant Reader, I'm fucking sick of it to say the least.

Like I said, I like my neighbors, but frankly, I do not understand how anyone can be that clueless as to let this go on for months. It is not unheard of for this dog to bark for 5 or more hours straight. I have been woke up by this dog. I have had suppers and other meals ruined by this dog. This dog scares my kid in her own backyard. It's even closer to their house, how can they just ignore that? I like them, but I am kind of disgusted and incredulous right now. They got a lot going on right now, and I don't want to give them more stress, but...well...damn, you know?

So we picked up one of those ultrasonic anti dog bark things. It's supposed to work in two or three weeks. It trains the dog to associate barking with basically getting it's own eardrums blown with a high pitched, 120 decible blast.

That damn dog stopped barking before I even was able to set it up properly. I was like I was sitting out there fiddling with the settings and the dog went crazy for about 30 seconds, realized that it's own barking was triggering the Sonic Boom From Hell, and then STFU. It worked immediately. I was worried the dog might be too dumb to teach (after all, he tries to bite my lawnmower when it goes by... there's a chain link fence) but evidently, he's a freaking genius.

I mean, I'm sitting here thinking its a fluke, but he's only barked a few times since I set it up, and no extended barking jags at all. Just normal barking like normal dogs would do, which is fine. I don't mind normal barking. I mind the relentless racket we've been subject to every damn morning, noon, and night for months.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Those ultrasonic anti-bark things are great. They're absolutely consistent, so the dog never associates the noise with ANYTHING but his barking, and since there's no dominance issues involved (as there might be with a person trying to stop the barking), I think it's less stressfull for the dog as well.

You, um, may have started it on the highest possible setting though...

Comment

Well, the one I have has no volume control. It just has a sensitivity control. And a light that comes on when it's transmitting. So I was standing there holding it and fiddling with it and had to stop every time because the dog didn't bark enough for me to get anywhere with setting it.

That's results, right there.

Eventually, I gave up and put it on the lowest setting so it wouldn't go off for no reason and torment the dog, and since I was home used the remote control override just to be sure it was going off.

I didn't have to do it a lot. Dog learned fast.

Comment

Damn. Do they make one of those for 20-somethings with their stereo poundage?

Comment

Yeah. It's called an Archenemy cd played at ear shattering volume.

I tried that on the dog, btw. Didn't shut them up, but it almost drowned them out. Archenemy pretty much would drown out just about anything.

Comment

I ordered one of those to combat the barking of my neighbors' dog. The stupid beast would then bark towards my window, since he did realize where the noise was coming from. The neighbors didn't even lift a finger to stop him from barking (my landlady told me that they bought him strictly as a guard dog, and didn't take very good care of him).

So, every time they let the dog out, he'd bark, and I'd put my silencer in the window and turn it on.

I think they got rid of the dog. I haven't heard him in some time now, haven't seen him, haven't seen any sign of him.

Comment

Working...
            X