This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses Help?

So, I've had my current pair for several years now, which is fantastic, as I used to need a new prescription once, sometimes twice, a year.

So, now I have a new problem. They have dirt between the lens and the frame, and it's beginning to squick me out. I haven't got the first clue how to clean that out, because the frames are solid, so I can't just unscrew them, take the lenses out, clean them, and put them back.

Any ideas?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Your eye doctor may be able to clean that for you, possibly free of charge, depending on your plan/agreement with them.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Your eye doctor may be able to clean that for you, possibly free of charge, depending on your plan/agreement with them.
      I don't actually have an eye doctor at the moment.

And, unless they can do it in about two minutes, not really an option. I have a tendency to trip over beams of light without my glasses.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Those lenses come out somehow. I mean, they got them in when they made your glasses. I second what Jester said, or heck, maybe Lenscrafters or someplace can help.

Comment

Yea take them to a place that will do free adjustments and see if they can clean them for you. I know I've had to just walk into an eyeglass place before while on my route because a nose pad fell off.

Comment

Where's JAM when you need her?
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

They do it at the walmart vision center, free of charge.

Comment

I had a lens in prescription sunnies fall out while out and about. The vision centre in the nearby shopping mall fixed it immediately, for free.

Certainly try it - just pick one, walk in, and ask. Can't hurt.

Comment

I used to have that kind until I switched into contacts (and then Lasik a year and a half back). I just popped the out from the front, cleaned them, then popped them right back in again.

I switch out the lenses at work for the reading glasses like that too, because certain frames only come in certain strengths and some people want the blue or the purple so I switch them out. Doesn't hurt the frames or lenses none and I get the sale.
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'm here, I'm here!

You could try *gently* scraping the crud out with an old toothbrush, but I would take it to an optician (preferably the one where you bought it, if possible).

If it's a plastic frame, which it sounds like, the frame may need to be heated in the salt pan before pushing the lens out to clean it. Attempting it on your own could potentially crack the plastic (or even the lens if done wrong!) so I wouldn't recommend it.

We also have a sonic cleaner similar to the ones they have at the dentists office, and for certain jobs I will toss them in for a few minutes. All in all, you should drop in when you have five to ten minutes or so to wait so they can do it on the spot.

Either way, fear not, because it sounds like an easy fix.
                    Last edited by JuniorMintz; 03-14-2009, 02:43 AM.
                    "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I second trying Lenscrafters. My mom once lost a screw, and she didn't get her glasses at LC but she was in the mall and stopped in to see if they could fix them anyway (fully expecting to pay for it). They fixed it for free.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                      X