This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Scam

Well, that was actually almost nerve-wracking.

I discovered I somehow missed a call a few hours ago, and they left a message. I figured it may be the landlord telling me my bathtub drain was fixed. Listening, I find out it's my bank, asking me to call them back. They leave a reference number and a number to call. No mention as to what it's about. Weird callback number (877, usually my bank's 800 or 888)

I call the number, and my suspicions are instantly aroused. They have the standard greeting, but it sounds odd. Like someone had held up a microphone to the phone and recorded it. Then there was no hold music. My bank Always has hold music.

Wait a second. The automated system didn't ask me for my card number. Wtf? Lady comes on the line. I tell her I got a call, and I have a reference number, and could she tell me what the call was in regards to. After I give her the reference number, I'm put on hold for an extraordinarily long time as she 'pulls up the file.' Again, no hold music. When she finally comes back on, she asks me for my telephone banking password. I tell her I don't have one. Then she asks if I have a password set up. That was the absolute final strike. Every time I call in, and tell them I don't have one, they just instantly say "I see you have a password set up, can you tell me what it is?" At this point, I turn to turtle mode. "Sorry, but can you tell me what this call is about first? Just a general idea? There's no reason you should have called me, so I'd like some sort of idea." "Not until you verify first." "Nuh uh." "I need you to verify before I can tell you anything." "Yeah, but I can't verify who YOU are." "I can ask you some questions instead, if you'd prefer." "No. I'm not answering any questions until I'm sure about this. Maybe I'll just go to the branch and figure this out instead." "You can do that." "Fine, I will." "*insert spiel which I didn't listen to as I was too busy hanging up*"

Now, at first, I may come off like just another asshole SC. That's why I now bring you part TWO of the story.

I call the regular telephone customer service number. Everything's fine with them. I go through normal verification. They can't see any flags on my account or any such. They do tell me that I can move some money from my RRSP savings account to a 5 year high-interest account, that may have been it. Then they transfer me over to Visa, to see if maybe it was them who called, because there's really no notes on my account about having been called, so I should check with them. I'm transfered to their Visa department. Same deal. Verify, continue. Told I'm eligible for an upgrade to my card, but there wasn't any note on my account about being called. So for the heck of it, I get upgraded to a Platinum Visa. Just because it's shiny. Oh, it's also Chip and Pin, too, as my old one was just mag stripe.

Okay, so neither of them apparently called. But the telephone banking lady gave me a "outbound call customer confidence" number, which you use to verify if someone from the bank really did call you. I figure, 'might as well call them too, just in case.' I do, normal banking verification, so it's all good. Then when I tell them that I got a call, they say there's no notes on my account, and the number that I was called from, and that I was given are not appearing in her database of legitimate numbers, and she'll be forwarding the info to her supervisor.

aHA! Vindicated! And hopefully, a scammer soon to be shut down.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Alas, this scam has been around as long as banks have had telephones. And a lot of people fall for it so it won't go away anytime soon.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I know it's an old scam, but it's still one of the better masked ones I've seen.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        I know it's an old scam, but it's still one of the better masked ones I've seen.
        I agree.

I can see lots of people falling for this if they dont know.

*remembers to tell hubby, since he has no common sense about stuff like this.*

Comment

wow. That's rather nerve-wracking. Intelligent scams frighten me on certain levels.

Glad you were able to catch it, and I do hope something happens to them, like getting shut down or arrested or something in the least.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
            Glad you were able to catch it, and I do hope something happens to them, like getting shut down or arrested or something in the least.
            I hope so too. With two numbers, there has to be *some* sort of paper trail.

Comment

I keep getting the texts sent to my cell phone from banks I don't have accounts with telling me that my debit card has been suspended due to fraudulent activity. They give a number to call. On the local news, they tried calling the number provided and they try to get account numbers, passwords, etc. Seems like I get several in a short period of time, and then go months without hearing anything from them. I just delete them and hope they go away.
              "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

See, if I had gotten a call from my bank, I would have just called the 1-800 number since it's the one they always provide for me in the monthly statements.

But I assume you had far more fun with the scammers.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  See, if I had gotten a call from my bank, I would have just called the 1-800
                  See, I would have done that, but I'd assumed it was maybe a direct line to the department or something. As I said though, it did make me go "Huh"

Comment

It's definitely not unusual to receive a direct line number when a bank employee needs you to call them back. I've definitely had that happen, over things *I* have instigated with *them* (legit). I can see how it isn't really that much of a red flag on its own.

Maybe it's a lesson - any time your bank asks you to call back, call their 1-800 number first and ask "Was this message legit - is this a valid number at your offices?" Kind of a pain, but sometimes you have to go the extra step to ensure you're as safe as you can be.

Comment

Working...
                    X