This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body memory?

I don't know how else exactly to describe it. Anyone else have something similiar?

All day today, I've been having the sensations of performing a moonsault (a pro wrestling move where you do a backflip and land on the opponent). It was a move I used when I was competing a few years ago, and sometimes, for no apparent reason, my nerves or something start making me feel all the same feelings as if I were doing one, even if I'm just sitting still. Like, I swear I can FEEL the way my hair moves from the jump, the pressure in my legs from pushing off and in my arms as though I'm wheeling them around, and even a brief "whomp" sensation as though I've hit the mat. I even catch my neck moving as though I'm looking back during the flip and have the little "unf" moment of letting out a breath when I push off. It FEELS like I'm doing the move, even though I'm not?

So, yeah, any ideas on what that is or ever have a similar feeling? It doesn't bother me or anything, I kinda like the feel (I haven't done a real moonsault in far too long *sigh), but it's just strange. I've heard of ghost limbs, but ghost sensations?
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

muscle memory, body memory is when your skin and fat mold to certain form.
    it does sound ghost sensations but it also could be your body itching to exercise.

Comment

I get that all the time. I used to be more active than I am now and every now and then I suddenly feel as if I need to go through my old exercises.
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I think I get something like that, but for me it's more of a sex thing.

Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

For a while after a good day of Airsoft I occasionally feel myself tense up as if I'm getting hit. After the most recent trip, my index finger would twitch twice all on it's own. Both are only temporary, lasting maybe four days after the fact, sooo
          I like things that go *bang!*

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
            I think I get something like that, but for me it's more of a sex thing.

I, for one, totally did NOT need to know that.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Yeah, I get what you're talking about. Doesn't happen to me personally very often, but it does happen. It's similar to what happens to people who lose part(s) of their body, sensory memory, as someone said already "ghost sensations", where your brain has transmitted those sensations to your body so often you know precisely how they should feel. It makes sense that your brain can and does transmit those sensations now and then, just like remembering something with another sense.
              Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

The spinal cord (and other ganglia) can learn to trigger patterns of movement on their own, independent of the brain. This is what we're teaching our bodies when we repeat the same motions over and over - such as when learning a new fighting technique or dance move. The term 'reflexive' is quite correct - we are attempting to use a mechanism very similar to relfex.

Your ganglia and spinal cord are remembering the move, 'rehearsing it', so to speak. If part of that rehearsal gets to the brain, I'm not surprised you're 'feeling' it!
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

It happens to me after I spend a day white water rafting. In fact, it often happens to some of the people I raft with.

You feel the motion of the river in your body when you are standing still. It's REALLY strong when you lie down to sleep that night.

Comment

As a magician, muscle memory is a very important thing to me.

My hands literally know what to do even if sometimes I "consciously" forget, i.e., I am not thinking about it.

And there are times when I will literally find my hands "thinking" about a certain cut, shuffle, flourish, or other maneuver. I have grown quite used to it, so it is not that odd for me.

Also, anyone who has ever been on a boat or a train knows the sensation of stepping off but feeling like they are still on it. That is not an illusion....your body has grown accustomed to moving with the boat or train, and is still trying to do it when you hit terra firma...at least for a while.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      As a magician, muscle memory is a very important thing to me.

If the signals had to go all the way to the brain, and not to/from spinal cord, you'd be slow enough for some of your audience to spot the trick.

(Just .. kind of supporting your comment, Jester.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Muscle memory is very important in the shooting sports. Sometimes you put your brain on coast and let your muscles take over. In my case I tend to do a lot better.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                        X