Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lauderdal CSers, is this a good idea, or am I an idiot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lauderdal CSers, is this a good idea, or am I an idiot?

Living in Key West, generally speaking flying somewhere involves either paying a shit ton of money, driving up to the Miami or Lauderdale airports to fly out, or getting very lucky with a good fare out of Key West.

For my impending vacation, I did not score a good fare out of Key West, so am flying out of Lauderdale. For my most recent trip, in September, I rented a car each way between Key West and Miami. For this trip, I am considering whether it might be easier (and about the same cost) to simply drive the Jestermobile up to Lauderdale, leave it in the long-term parking ($15/day x 8 days = $120). Compare that cost to the price of a rental car ($34-57 each way x 2 ways = $68-$114). Sure, if I get a good deal, the rental car is better economically. But you have to figure in gas (in my truck, I can gas up whenever/wherever I want, don't have to return it full, and whatever gas I pay for but don't use on the trip, I get to keep), not to mention the hassle of picking up and returning the rental, which almost always involves inconveniencing a friend. So I am weighing all THAT.

What I want to know from the Lauderdale folks is if leaving my beloved Jestermobile in the long term parking is a good idea of if I can expect to come back to a broken-into truck with various things missing. I have flown in and out of Lauderdale a couple times, but not recently, and have never really taken notice of the area around it.

So, the other factors aside, how safe is the Lauderdale airport long-term parking?

EDITED TO ADD: Wow. While I can get a decent rental for only about $34-36 going from Key West to Lauderdale, coming BACK the cheapest is $70. I guess the rental companies prefer their cars to be left in a higher volume market. So this really does make the economics of the situation a wash either way.
    Last edited by Jester; 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

why not spend the money your gonna be paying to, pay one of your friends to drive you to the airport and pick you up?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Do the hotels near the airport there have a park and fly option? I know that there are several hotels near Seatac airport that if you stay the night before your flight, you can park in their lot for an extended time for very little money. I don't remember the numbers off hand but it might be worth a call to the hotels to see.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
        why not spend the money your gonna be paying to, pay one of your friends to drive you to the airport and pick you up?
        So ask one of my friends to drive eight hours (four hours each way) twice to get me to and from the airport? Having made that drive, I am not willing to ask one of my friends, i.e, someone I care about, to do that. If I am paying the money, might as well do it myself. I say this from experience, having in the past asked my roommate Mr. Anti-Social to do this, and let me tell you, the only person more miserable than me from traveling all day was him from having traveled all day without the fun of the vacation.

Quoth Shpepper View Post
        Do the hotels near the airport there have a park and fly option? I know that there are several hotels near Seatac airport that if you stay the night before your flight, you can park in their lot for an extended time for very little money. I don't remember the numbers off hand but it might be worth a call to the hotels to see.
        I have no idea. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. (Though I am guessing the hotels that do this prefer to do it for people who, I dunno, actually STAY there!)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester - if you wanna give me the car rental dates, I'll plug them in to my system and see if I can beat 'em.

PM me with the info if you want.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Pepper, thank you....and I have done so.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I flew from Lauderdale down to KW in 99, I got the tickets as a birthday present from a Coastie I was dating that lived in KW.

Anyway, I left my car in the parking garage, and it was fine. Still in one piece, all windows intact upon my re-arrival in Ft. Liquordale 5 days later.

I will say though, the prop planes that fly in and out of Key West scare the bejeebus out of me.

Comment

Working...
              X