Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all the musical people here (and anyone else really...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all the musical people here (and anyone else really...)

I'm writing a play-well a musical to be more precise-that's using a mix of original and cover songs, albeit with slight differences. I'm doing this only for fun, not to put up on broadway or anything like that...(yet but I'm a little stuck.

The storyline is a fairly simple one: This boy has a crush on a girl, but the girl's unaware of it. They're asked to put together a performance for a school, so they do, along the way falling in love and dating. Another boy thinks that the girl should be his, so he works to seduce her, but she resists (her lover finds out, but is unaware that she resisted). The next day, her lover doesn't show up so she thinks that he doesn't love her, but he shows up at the last minute, finding out the truth and the two are about to go onstage together, but she develops stage fright. He manages to give her the confidence and eventually they wind up telling the story to their children.

OK, that's the storylinefor you, but I'm stuck on songs. The cover songs I'm using are partially taken from Moulin Rouge and are:

-Come What May.
    -Your Song.
    -One Day I'll Fly Away.
    -Bits and pieces of El Tango De Roxanne (for the unfamiliar, it's the song that's played as the Duke seduces Satine)

There are three other songs I have in mind: a theme for the girl, a theme for the couple and a finale song. Can anyone give me ideas? Even just like little tunes I can take and possibly put into a melody and variations type song. I've put it specifically for the musical people here because I want these to be instrumental and as original as I can. One piece I did have in mind as a love theme for the couple was supposedly taken from Final Fantasy X...it's called Sky Theme, or Tidus and Yuna's theme.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

"Something to talk about" for the couple perhaps? Just a notion.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

You're using covers of cover songs?

Anyway, since we really don't know anything about the characters, their situations, the type of music THEY like, etc, no one can really make an educated guess on what songs would be appropriate. Better to just borrow everyone's iPods and listen to the playlists until something clicks.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll put up a more thorough version of the characters once I've fleshed them out a bit, it's only a rough draft at this stage. And by covers of cover songs, I mean I'm taking the Moulin Rouge versions and going from there, simplifying them a bit.

If anyone's seen Moulin Rouge (the Baz Lurhmann version), the songs are from the following areas:

Your Song-Christian giving his poetry reading to Satine, who thinks that Christian's a duke but he's not. She's rolling around and moaning while he's mumbling through his poem until he eventually sings "My gift is my song...." very loudly, waking up his bohemian friends and surprising Satine.

Come What May-it's the secret lovers song in the play-within-a-play and I'm possibly planning on doing an instrumental version for the lovers theme.

One Day I'll Fly Away-not 100% sure, but I THINK it's after Satine's told she has consumption and she starts singing it. My version takes it from the "one day I'll flyyy away...leave all this to yesterday." bit.

El Tango De Roxanne-the song itself is sung as a rehearsal and about passion by the Narcoleptic Argentinian, while Satine's being seduced by the Duke and Christian's walking away in disbelief. In my version, the other boy sings the main lines, the lover sings Christian's part "Why does my heart cry..."

Comment

"One day I'll Fly Away" is right before Your Song. Sayine was thinking about leaving.

All I could suggest would be Googling, or borrowing people's iPods.
          What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

thanks. I do want people's opinions, so I'll be putting these up in the literary section. If I can, I'll put sound clips up of the songs I've chosen and if I ever do write it, the love theme.

Comment

You've seen "Moulon Rouge", but have you seen "Strictly Ballroom", Luhrman's first movie? Because the plot actually parallels your story...

Great movie, and the first thought I had of the 'finale' is this, Scott and Fran's Paso Doble.

Wonderful movie... one of my favorites, in fact. See it (if you haven't).
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

If you want kitsch, try 'Give me a happy ending' from The Pirate Movie
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

sounds like you are chosing a lot from M.R.
                  I strongly suggest checking at your local library some of the classic musicals. (library's tend to have them and free to check out)
                  Hello Dolly
                  Meet Me in St Louis
                  State Fair
                  My Fair Lady
                  Mame
                  Chess
                  Into the Woods
                  Once Upon a Matress
                  Godspell

just to name a few to start with

Of course you could also pick a particular artist or band and use their music.

Comment

Working...
                  X