This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Framers, I need some help.

This is kind of a delicate issue, since I don't want to freak anyone out. Still, I need some advice.

A few months ago, I had an art piece commissioned by one of my favorite online artists. I really want to get it framed, because I have a tradition of getting all my commissioned pieces framed. They're really special to me, so I want them preserved. The issue? This one has... erm... adult content.

Wait! Don't leave! Let me explain. There is no portrayal of a sexual act, there are no naughty bits showing. One person is naked, but everything's covered up. Without going into details (I figure you guys really don't want details ), there are clear sexual overtones.

I've tried everything. The piece is cut at an odd size, so regular frames won't fit it. I've tried getting individual frame sides and doing it myself, but again, the odd size is killer. The only way seems to be a custom framing job, which I'm willing to pay for.

My question is... how do I do this without freaking someone out?

I know, I know. Why'd I get it if I'm not willing to stand up for it. It's not really about that. I take pride in who I am and what I like, but I despise making people uncomfortable. How do I gently explain the situation to the employee? To the people who work in this business, and I've seen some of you on the boards, do you get this sort of thing from time to time? If so, does it make you uncomfortable? None of my other pieces have had the same sort of content, so when I had to get another custom framed, I didn't feel so bad.

Help? And feel free to call me weird or a perv. I know I am.
    It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
    The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Well, if you want, you can PM me a better description of the content, and I can see if I can find an -ahem- adult friendly framer in your area... I have connections in the... adult friendly world >.> <.< >.>

Comment

How about you call your local framing places, and say "I have a piece I'd like framed, but it has some adult content, nothing overt but nonetheless adult. I was wondering if you would feel comfortable taking the job, or if you know anyone who would?"
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

What ArcticChicken says.

People who handle art, photos, and whatnot from the public have probably pretty much seen it all and then some.

In my experience, every place I ever worked the rule was this: if you could find someone who wasn't offended by the job, there was no rule against it being done up to and including hardcore pron.

Most people in these kind of jobs I think are probably okay with most of what you can throw at them. Just ask the vendor. You won't be the first, and you won't be the worst.

Comment

If none of these leads work, try posting on a Furry board. I'm guessing that's what it is, but even if I'm completely wrong and it's not yiffy you'd prolly have great luck finding someone who DID work with yiff and wouldn't bat an eyelash at whatever adult themes it contains.
          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Yes, just ask around. I mean, you don't have to show it and say "would you frame this?" but you can phone them up and say what ArcticChicken has put.

I somewhat think, if you're so delicate you think even that might offend people, what on earth are you personally doing with such a piece of art? It strikes me as a conflict.

Comment

And if you can't find someone willing to frame it for you, would you be able to find someone willing at least to make the frame in the appropriate size? You could try cutting a sheet of cardstock to the same dimensions to get the frame the right size.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
              X