This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing an oversized poster?

So I have a Ghostbusters one-sheet that I finally want to try and get framed. The problem is, it's a bit larger than the poster frames I'm able to find (poster is approximately 30"x40", and I don't want to cut it obviously). I have seen "frames" which just consist of plastic edging you slip on the top and bottom...the problem might be finding them any longer than 24". If I can find them at all...I had some smaller ones, but this was about 5 years ago.

What was done with my original GB2 poster (same dimensions) was, my mom had it mounted on foamcore (durable, but the problem with that is storage and transportation). Would that be the best route to go with this one as well? I'd like to be able to find the frame at retail locally, as I don't really have the cash for a professional job. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just plain metal if it exists.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

You could make your own frame. Use a sheet of foam-core as the base, plus some clear plastic. Depending on the thickness of everything, you might be able to use some "C" channel aluminum strip from the hobby shop. Cut to length, miter-saw the corners at 45-degrees, and you're good
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I would stay away from the foam core. Try Gator board instead. Foam core can get beat to shit real easily, foam core is a little more heavy duty. In fact I have a 2 X 3 sign in front of my desk that is mounted on gator board, its about 8 years old and I just tried to bend it, and it stayed fine. Hell you could even use plywood/MDF (not thick go for thin) to mount it to, over size it and mount some nice trim on the sides. I've mounted shit myself to foam core and just used standard Spray Adhesive that you can find at any printer supply store.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Ages ago, I'd purchased some poster frames from a craft store (I think it was Hobby Lobby) and framed all my astronomy posters. I think they ran about $7. Have you tried them?
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

No Hobby Lobby stores around here that I know of. Do you think Michael's would have them?
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            No Hobby Lobby stores around here that I know of. Do you think Michael's would have them?
            Michael's, Joanne's, any large craft store should have them.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
            X