This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
    My Dad convinced me that chocolate milk came from brown cows.
    *snort*

Everyone knows chocolate milk comes from CHOCOLATE cows.

I piss off the man of the household every time I say that.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Not a belief but a misunderstanding ... my dad was home on leave in 1966, and he, my mum and I were walking on the beach at my grandparents at night and I misunderstoof 'look - there's orion' for 'look, theres a lion'

*big* difference, one is scary, one is a star system =)
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I believed that any part of my body that was hanging off the bed would be eaten by whatever (it varied) was out there at night.

I believed that movies were all real, like documentaries. I was amazed the ancient Egyptians had such great camera technology.

If there was a real thunderstorm, I was sure we would be flooded (we never were).
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

LOL Jester

My grandma loved giraffes. She was known as the giraffe lady in the various places she lived or in the things she did. When I (and my sister and cousins) were younger, we would get letters from a giraffe about our age from "somewhere in Africa."

We would mail the letters to somewhere in the West where they would be forwarded to Africa (though a game warden or something) and then back through this friend to us.

It was years before I realized it was my grandma. Of course after a while I knew it wasn't really a giraffe, but the responses weren't typical grandma responses - although they were all really wise - so I never put 2 & 2 together. Or I wanted to keep the magic alive!

There was a whole box of the copies of what she wrote to us with her stuff, I by far had the most. Want to look through them, but I know it will make my mom sad (grandma died at Thanksgiving and my mom is having a hard time now).

Comment

Quoth TTAZ View Post

I thought thunder was God bowling, and lightning was when He made a strike.
            It is true . . . I was told by my late aunt it was so (and her late 1st husband was a bowler, so she believed it too.)
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

There was a beer commercial when I was a kid with the jingle "When you say Budweiser, you've said it all." I thought that phrase meant that if you said the word "Budweiser" you'd never be able to speak anything ever again.

One Christmas when I was about four, my brother dragged me out of bed early in the morning, showed me the presents under the tree and said, "See those? They're all for me and none for you, because you've been baaad, and I've been gooood!" I believed him...until I saw one gift on top with my name on it. I don't think he realized that I could read at the time... (And needless to say, in the morning, my present pile was just as large as his.)
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I thought The Crypt Keeper lived in my closet.
                I never set foot in my room (willingly) until I was 9.
                "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                  I believed that any part of my body that was hanging off the bed would be eaten by whatever (it varied) was out there at night.
                  You too, huh? I'd actually forgotten about that one, though come to think of it that was the reason I'd sleep in the middle when I had a bad dream and went to my parents' bedroom.

One sister-in-law believed that her toes would come off if someone tugged on them. She still absolutely hates having people tug on her toes.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                    I never set foot in my room (willingly) until I was 9.
                    See now I want to know why?!
                    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

A couple of days before getting my tonsils out, my cousin told me that when they are stitching your head back up if they hit the wrong bone you die. Not knowing how things work and that they don't actually cut your head open, I was fairly freaked out till mom and dad got back.
                      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Ms. Dytch and I unknowingly shared this one when we were kids.

I believed that if a bedroom light was off, the Boogeyman was standing in the middle of the room waiting for an unsuspecting victim to enter. The only was to get rid of him was to run down the hallway, reach in and flip the light switch as you go by the bedroom door at full speed.

Ms. Dytch believed the same thing, only she called it El Cucui.
                        http://www.chicanostudies.org/chat/messages/10381.shtml

Comment

That's amusing, Dytchdoctir.

My sisters and I had a short-lived belief that we could scare the boogeyman away by dressing up the vaccuum as our own boogeyman.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

These are hilarious! Great idea Severen13.

I believed that cars ran like rockets - that the exhaust coming out of the back was what propelled them. In my defense, this WAS during the sixties and Batman's car ran kinda like that.

Bedroom monsters were no problem - after being scared of them very briefly I made up stronger monsters who were my friends and battled the bad monsters in my defense.

At the age of nine my mother eventually convinced me (it must have taken her over a month!!!) that she was the robot mom sent to replace my real mom. She never stopped and would occasionally "let" me catch her moving a battery holding hand down from the back of her head and throwing it away, or moving very slowly and then speeding up again. Deranged.

Comment

I used to believe that whenever a thunder storm was approaching, little evil troll like creatures would run ahead of it and hide in the building that was going to be struck by lightening.

I had my daughter believing that I had eyes in the back of my head. The following conversation took place while I was in the kitchen chopping onions with my back to her and her at the kitchen table drawing a picture.
                              D: Mom, look at my pretty picture!
                              Me: Hold on honey, in a minute, let me just finish the onions.
                              D: Mom... Look!
                              Me: in a minute honey, I'm almost done, then I'll turn and look.
                              D: Mom, just open the eyes in the back of your head and look!

Oh and those 'back-of-the-head eyes' also had x-ray vision and could see through walls.

Comment

Working...
                              X