Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate when it's a bad one... (WARNING: GIRLY ISSUES AHEAD!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most girls I talk to are too scared to go on Depo or have been on it and gained a lot of weight or went insane....not sure if I believe it all....some girls probably have....but with ANY form of birth control, you need to watch your weight and exercise. Depo is probably the worst for weight gain, but you can gain weight on the Pill as well. Extra hormones, ya'll...

Funny story, EQ.....my medical insurance covers my Depo shot 100%. I do not pay a penny for it.

But...every. other. form. of birth control costs extra. It's messed up. My coworker Michelle is on Yaz and she has to pay $50 a month for it. I wonder how much a month's worth of Yaz is without insurance! Yikes!

I don't know why Depo is covered 100% but the Pill, the patch, and the ring are not. I heard IUDs are quite spendy too, even with insurance.

I won't go on the Pill for any reason. The Pill is how I got here.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

if it sounded like I was talking trash about depo, then I'm sorry. I'm not. My sister's on it, and it's right for her. But discussing options with my doctor, it was the conclusion that the pill I'm on now is what's best for me.

Again, I didn't want to sound like I was badmouthing depo, blas. I'm glad it helped you, but it's just not right for me.

to each their own, I suppose.

Comment

Oh lupo, no no no no....I should have clarified. It wasn't you or anyone on this site trashing Depo.

Edit: I shouldn't have typed it out to sound so dramatic. Most of the time, I only hear bad things about Depo from coworkers or girls I talk to when I'm out and about.
        Last edited by blas; 04-17-2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Mk, good! I just know that when I'm hormonal and pissy, I may come off as sounding aggressive, or interpret other posts as such. My bad. I was just afraid I'd insulted/upset someone. That's all.

Comment

I wouldn't even say it was that. It's the big issue with the typed word versus the spoken word. I have a hard time deciphering sometimes if someone is being facetious or serious, and I've even had a few posts that came across the wrong way.

No worries Just wanted to add my 2 cents on what saved me from being a slave to my own body and how I was able to live like a normal young lady again. Hopefully one day there will be a way women won't need to have periods without being pregnant or going through menopause.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
              Hopefully one day there will be a way women won't need to have periods without being pregnant or going through menopause.
              Wouldn't that be wonderful . . . I feel for you, Lupo. I've had the on-a-week-off-a-week, might-as-well-be-in-labor periods as well. Most of my life. Started when I was nine.

Finally had endometrial ablation (second degree burn of the inside surface of the uterus. Owie) to stop it, and to fix a set of monstrous fibroids. The relief was wonderful. Wish I'd done it decades ago.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                Finally had endometrial ablation (second degree burn of the inside surface of the uterus. Owie) to stop it, and to fix a set of monstrous fibroids. The relief was wonderful. Wish I'd done it decades ago.
                I've had issues with fibroids as well. 2 D&Cs in my history, to get rid of some particularly nasty ones. Nothing like laying in stirrups and having a doctor go at you with what looks like a melon baller to your innards, and feeling hollowed out like a Halloween pumpkin. (Apologies if the imagery is too graphic. I'm trying NOT to go into horrendous detail...)

Yes, you know it's bad when I go in for a checkup at 14, while on my period, and then get grilled over my sexual history because they assume I'm miscarrying. (Not to squick most people out, highlight to read the following...)

I pass clots a lot when I'm not on the pill, and bleed very very heavily. To say it's unpleasant and painful is the understatement of the century.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                  I don't remember if I've suggested this before, but calcium and magnesium seem to help the pain
                  Calcium and magnesium can definitely help. Symptoms of low levels of both include muscle spasms (as I suddenly get a cramp in my calf - ow! Talk about irony...).

Hmm...guess I can't share my Milanos or my fudge brownie cookies...

*tosses bag of oatmeal cookies while keeping arms safely in New Jersey*
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Thanks to this thread, I went and bought a magnesium supplement today, figuring it can't hurt - and I'll be biking HARD pretty soon so I probably need it for that too (Food sources of magnesium: whole grains, dark leafy veggies, and nuts/seeds. I'm not eating much of any of those, don't know about you all...)

Also, while studying pharmacology, learned that the nineteenth century's cure-all for cramps was laudanum! Whee, alcohol AND opium all in one!! (I would imagine that it would help with cramps all right... but the constipating effects might well make you worse off...)

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                      My doctor advises large doses of Advil or Motrin, and actually prescribed 800 mg Motrin for me to take. It helps a little.
                      Have you tried Naproxen Sodium (Aleve)?

That's my all time favorite painkiller for muscle and joint issues.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        Have you tried Naproxen Sodium (Aleve)?

That's my all time favorite painkiller for muscle and joint issues.
                        That's what they gave me after my car accident (prescription strength). Still couldn't sit up in bed the next morning...but that and the muscle relaxers were nice for a few days...
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm sorry you have such a hard time with your monthly. I, myself, have been kinda lucky (truly luck would be not to have it at all), but know penty of women who have had hard times. My old PCP told me to take magnesium supplement when I was suffering from dibilitating back pain - he said it was a natural muscle relaxer. It actually works very good. Another thing I have found to work is an herb called Cramp Bark - http://health.howstuffworks.com/cram...l-remedies.htm - that site will give you some info on it & you might be able to find it in a tincture at a health food store - if not you can make your own tincture.
                          After having my third son (after birth cramps get worse after the birth of each child) I brought & only used herbal medicines to control the bleeding & the pain.
                          Good luck & I hope it gets better.
                          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
                          RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

One other question: have you looked at getting the implant? Dunno what it's called in the US, or even if it exists in the US, but Implanon is basically about the size of a matchstick, goes right under the skin of your upper arm and stays there for three years. In most cases, it generally makes periods lighter or they don't occur at all.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                            X