This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth dalesys View Post
    Dumas must related to Crichton. Every book of Crichton's I've read at least one blithering idiocy that even cursory research in an encyclopedia would have prevented. Good stories, but unnecessary sloppiness in facts that are thrown in as background.
    To be fair, when Dumas was writing (early 19th century) there weren't too many Encyclopedias around.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      To be fair, when Dumas was writing (early 19th century) there weren't too many Encyclopedias around.
      No, but even the worst goldsmith could have told him that pure gold is very soft for a solid metal. The greasy feeling it has is actually the metal softening due to your body contact heating it. Its why most gold jewelry is made with mixed alloy gold (18k-22k) rather than pure 24k.

Yeah, I did some gold research when we dealt with circuits and materials used to create them over the years.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        Camille is the original "hooker with a heart of gold" story. Bleh.
        So that's who I have to shoot when I get my time machine.

Currently I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and The Scar by China Mieville.

I've been reading The Scar for about seven months. For some reason I find Mieville as hard to read as Shakespeare, except that if I read Shakespeare out loud it's easier to understand. I'd swear Mieville lives in a reality that's twisted a couple degrees off from my own.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Publisher rep meeting at work today- that means free books for us! My prize is a copy of "Strain" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. It's a vampire novel and I hate vampires, but I admire del Toro enough to give it a chance. The rep said it reads like a movie...big surprise.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I'm reading a reprint of Herbert Asbury's "The Gangs of New York". It was originally published in 1927 and I'm enjoying the book immensely.

It was the basis for the movie of the same name that appeared several years ago. Reading it is a great pleasure because I find I know names named in the book and already know something about some of these people.

Yes, they were horrors and the things they did were atrocious but, many of these people are familiar to me from other histories of New York City. I may not want Bill the Butcher or Sadie the Goat as guests at my Dinner table. I may not want to eat a meal at McGuirk's Suicide Hall, but aren't these things fun to read about?

It's especially good when you know that the 'Five Points' is now Chatham Square and you can enjoy excellent Chinese meals there for reasonable prices.
            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Well I finished the second Greywalker book (Poltergeist) by Kat Richardson.

I need to stop going to the bookstore when I'm in a mood though. Bought another huge load of books. Normally I wouldn't say this is a problem, but I already don't have bookshelves for when I move (mine is a built in one right now) and my future roomate is in need of more bookshelf space as it is. I mostly just browsed around and picked up interesting looking books that I hadn't heard of/read before since I usually get lucky when I do that.

I got:
              Marvel Runaways (the graphic novel of 1-6 I think)
              Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk - Book 2 in this series but I'm letting J read it first since he reads fast
              Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover
              Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
              Death's Daughter by Amber Benson

Also, I've been told I'm to read The Seafort Saga which sounds interesting.

On the plus side, I'm going to be sitting in a waiting room today waiting for my sister to have her kid, so I'm set on stuff to do.
              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
              X