This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More advice.. (long)

I know I seem to be unable to ask for advice not involving my stupid grandmother.. but she's the major source of drama and dilemmas in my life at the moment, and since everyone around me is already in the middle of the drama and therefore unable to be impartial, I come here for advice (and prepare for the onslaught of criticism advice from Jester )

So here's today's issue.
    I got married last Tuesday. It was a lovely ceremony, my mother and me and hubby's good, good friend were there, and that's it as far as guests. It's all we'd ever planned for, all we'd invited, all we cared about. I've invited just about everybody to the reception with great responses.
    My mother (much to my shy, embarrassed chagrin) had the Wednesday night bowling league president announce that I had gotten married the day before, and he did so with the demeanor of a proud father (then again he's known me since I was little)

Apparently, my mother, my uncle, and my stepfather have all caught a ton of crap from my grandmother, because she apparently did not know that I was getting married on Tuesday, was still offended that she was not invited to the ceremony, and was horrified that she "had to find out from the announcement over the loudspeaker". As usual, she has said nary a word to me (you know, the BRIDE, the one who made all of these decisions? Nah, must not be important)
    My uncle, who lives with her, had to give me my wedding presents in secret today so she wouldn't find out he was "approving of this bullshit" and catch more crap from her.

Here's the issue(s). I told her I was getting married over two weeks before the event date, at which point she smiled a little and said "that's nice".
    Also, she's acting like I only excluded her, and had everyone else and their mother at the ceremony, which was not the case at all. Hubby and I agreed that only two people at our ceremony was what we wanted. Originally it was to be our mothers, but since his grandfather is ill and she could not make it, I let him choose a stand-in so to speak, and he chose our friend Toki.

Everyone keeps telling me "she's your grandmother, and she's getting old. Include her." But I don't want to include her. As far as I'm concerned, she hasn't been acting much like my grandmother lately, refusing to acknowledge me at any major holiday for over a year, never in two and a half years asking me to do something for her, instead asking my mother to make me do it, and outright refusing to my face to acknowledge my birthday, while standing in my kitchen asking my mother to make me fix her computer.
    At this point I don't even want her to come to the reception party in May, but as much drama as she's stirred up over all of this already, and as much as she's yelled at people close to me about it, I'm afraid I'll make everyone else miserable for my choice, as they're already pressuring me from all sides (except DH who has repeatedly told me "she's an old bitch, you don't like her, tell everyone to fuck off") to apologize to her for not inviting her to my ceremony.

So basically I need advice on what to do, whether to un-invite her to the reception, and how to deal with her regardless of whether she's coming or not. I'm sick of everyone I care about getting yelled at over my decisions, and her calling me petty and childish for not inviting her to the ceremony, when she can't even come to me and bring anything up to my face so we can settle it like adults.
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

It sounds to me like your grandmother has an actual problem that needs to be brought up with her doctors. A sudden personality change, especially one that extreme, doesn't just happen. Talk to her doctors.

Also, it's your wedding. Do what makes you happy.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Agreed with ArticChicken.

Then re write everything you said to us here and mail it to her telling her if she can't act like an adult to not bother showing up at the reception.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
        It sounds to me like your grandmother has an actual problem that needs to be brought up with her doctors. A sudden personality change, especially one that extreme, doesn't just happen. Talk to her doctors.

Also, it's your wedding. Do what makes you happy.
        It'd be a thing to bring up if it was a sudden personality change..
        Unfortunately for myself and my family.. she's ALWAYS been like this.
        "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Quoth Setsunaela View Post
          I come here for advice (and prepare for the onslaught of criticism advice from Jester )
          Ouch.

Well, you need not worry, as I shall offer neither advice nor criticism, for three very simple reasons.

1. Plenty of good advice is being offered here.
          2. You and hubby are adults and can figure this out just fine on your own.
          3. I'm on vacation! Later!
          Last edited by Jester; 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            I come here for advice (and prepare for the onslaught of criticism advice from Jester )
            Ouch.

Well, you need not worry, as I shall offer neither advice nor criticism, for three very simple reasons.

1. Plenty of good advice is being offered here.
            2. You and hubby are adults and can figure this out just fine on your own.
            3. I'm on vacation! Later!
            you broke your quote tags.. and I was teasing ^_^
            no advice? -sad-
            ah well.. I'm sure I'll get plenty!

Comment

you broke your quote tags.. and I was teasing ^_^
              Oops! Fixed. And yes, I know you were teasing. Trust me, it takes a lot to get me offended. And I am not that humorless, thank you very much.

no advice? -sad-
              Well, if you insist. But only because I have a momentary break in the breakneck action that is my Zona Vacay.

My advice would be very simple. Sit down with your hubby and discuss your grandmother. Do the two of you feel that you owe her an apology for not inviting her to the ceremony? Do the two of you feel that you want her at the reception? Do the two of you feel it would be better to have your friends and relatives take grief from her than actually have her at the reception? You need to discuss the pros and cons of each course of action, and then the two of you decide what you are going to do about the Grandmother Situation. And once you decide, if necessary, explain your decision to your relatives and friends, and stick by your guns. You are, after all, adults.

Now, if it helps, I had a vaguely similar situation years ago when I was engaged. My older sister The Witch had helped organize Lil Sis's wedding, and while she did a great job, was kind of a domineering bitch (one of her natural characteristics) and pretty much offended the hell out of my fiance, The Brit. On the way back to Key West, The Brit turned to me and said, "Please tell me that that woman is not going to be involved in organizing our wedding." I said, "She'll be lucky to be a fucking guest at this point." Had the wedding actually happened, I had an Witch Defense Situation in place. To wit, my best friend Neets had been instructed to keep The Witch out of our hair, and if necessary, Neets was authorized to go to Super Bitch mode to do so. If you do allow Grandma to come to the reception, you may want to assign one of our better friends who has the ability to be a Super Bitch if necessary to keep Grandma in check.

Either way, good luck.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

she's ALWAYS been like this.
                Oh, well in that case, it's still your damn wedding, screw her.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                X