This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh! Car problems...

I was supposed to be moving today - father's driving up to pick me up, since I don't drive. Suddenly I get a call. Apparently his car battery died overnight and AAA is telling him it'll be a few hours (and it's always longer than they say, too). Now he's trying to find a truck to rent instead so that he can get up here this afternoon, but if not, it's going to be really tough. He can't afford to take off work to pick me up during the week and I have to move out by Tuesday.

Now I'm just worried.

At least I have help to move furniture if/when he gets here. Gotta love having strong guy friends. I have a drafting table with a hefty base (over 150lbs I believe) and since it's barely small enough to fit through the door when dismantled, it can be a real pain to do even with two people. One of my friends is taking the subway out here from an hour away to give me a hand.

In the end, I think I'll just consider this a success if we don't lose the u-haul trailer on the highway like we did last time.

AAA once told my dad an hour and the guy showed up in 5 minutes.

Good luck.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Speaking of the AAA, I had to get a certain orange object towed yesterday. Some of you know that it fried its ignition around Easter. The ignition points were cooked. Read up on it, seemed like an easy job. However, setting them up properly is a bitch. Rather than mess around with it, I opted to upgrade the ignition to an electronic (points-less) type. Again, rather easy.

Or so I thought! I took the distributor apart, took out the points and condenser (not needed), put the new unit in, and eventually put it back together. Fired up the car, and all was good. Until, I tried to set the timing. No matter how I tried, I couldn't set it...and managed to make things worse.

How? Well, the distributor is a pain to get to anyway, but it somehow came loose from its bracket...and wouldn't go back in Took 2 days to figure that one out. Once everything was bolted together, I couldn't get the damn car started!

Only option was to get it towed. Called AAA, and they showed up about 2 hours later. And yes, getting it onto the trailer was fun! Had to roll it down the driveway, into the street, and then halfway down the hill onto the flatbed. At least I was able to follow the truck in the Corolla, so I had a ride home

Why did it take so long for them to come? Simple--weekends with nice weather are always busy, and finding a flatbed isn't always easy. It has to go via flatbed, there aren't any tow-hooks underneath like a modern car.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
      X