This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressed to kill... at the grocery?

Yesterday my housemates and I went grocery shopping at two different places. At both we spotted attractive women teetering on four-inch heels and wearing what I can only describe as either really short skirts or really long t-shirts.

Granted there was one nicely-dressed lady who I figured was just back from work. But the other two looked like they were on a hot date. But in a grocery store at 3:00 in the afternoon?

Not that I didn't appreciate the eye candy, but I can't help but wonder. One of my housemates suggested they're hoping to "meet" someone in the grocery. Anyone else notice this?
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Or maybe they are just like me, ladies who LIKE to wear nice clothes and do their hair and makeup when they have a day off.

I have to look casual and blah almost all week for work. When I get the chance, I will wear nice jeans, high heels, cute tops, and I will do full hair and makeup. Sure, I get lots of strange looks from people. No one around here goes out of their way to look nice and they probably think of me as a Paris Hilton eyesore.

But I don't give a shit. There's people out there who prefer to go out looking like they just laid cement for 12 hours, I prefer looking nice when I get the chance.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I definitely like to dress nicely before I go out anywhere that's not work.

But my definition of "nice" isn't a mini dress and 4-inch heels, but that's just me.

Comment

Exactly. I don't get my nails done or wear a minidress, but I do rock the heels, my more expensive nicer jeans, and my cutest tops and I do my Farrah Fawcet hair.

I think it's nice when people put a little effort into their appearance. My boyfriend also dresses up in nicer clothes when we go out together on the weekends. When a guy shaves, grooms himself well, and smells good and wears nice clothes, it says a lot about him.

Comment

Don't discount the grocery store as a place to pick up dates.

I can't see the appeal, but there are people who do it.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

i'm more bothered by the bums who shlomp around in velor suits or pijamas.

Comment

I'm kind of the opposite of Blas, I have to dress up (at least somewhat) for class, so when I'm on my free time I tend to kinda bum around. Not in pajamas, and only very rarely in sweats. Usually, jeans and a t-shirt. Unless I'm going out with my friends in an undergrad-free environment, then it's time to pull out my "slutty" shirts. There's nothing worse than getting all glammed up and looking sexy, going out to the bar, then hearing one of your students say, "Hey! What're you doing here?"
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                When a guy shaves, grooms himself well, and smells good and wears nice clothes, it says a lot about him.
                ...isn't that...suppose to be a daily routine?

<confused>. I do that regardless. I thought it was just basic hygiene. ^^

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                  ...isn't that...suppose to be a daily routine?

<confused>. I do that regardless. I thought it was just basic hygiene. ^^
                  Generally, yes.

however, the trend in basic hygiene seems to have taken a sharp decline, at least where I'm from. I can't tell you how many times I get on the bus only to be swamped with the overwhelming odor of eau de Manfunk, simply because some guy (or guys) felt that they could forgo showering for the month, and wear the same clothing for the last week. This happens at work, at the grocery stores, or when out out with friends, too. And then they attempt to hit on every female within the vicinity because it's obvious that a woman can't help but be impressed by their manliness and macho self. >.<

sadly, grooming is a trend that seems to be going out of style. Again, just based on my observations, though. YMMV.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Don't discount the grocery store as a place to pick up dates.
                    ^-.-^
                    Yeah I thought at one point that one of the so call "good places to meet someone" was the grocery store?
                    "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                      i'm more bothered by the bums who shlomp around in velor suits or pijamas.
                      HEY! I "shlomp" around in groceries stores in my pj's.

Not all the time, however, I have been known to need a few items from the grocery store and run out in pj's or sweats with flip flops.

I figure if I am going to run into "mr. right" in the grocery store, he's gonna like me in pj's...or he's not "mr. right".

I'm so casual now.
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I read an article the other day that suggested wearing new heels for special occassions to the grocery store for "breaking" them in.
                        You have the cart to help with balance and no cushion to the floor.

Personally I change up what I wear depending on when I go. If it is Sunday afternoon I would wear what I wore that morning to my personal choice of worship.
                        Now (just one week in) if it is after work - it will just depend on how I feel that day. There is no dress code other than to be covered. (and even then I am not sure how covered they require of some)
                        So I may be doing the t-shirt and jeans, or I may be in full professional dress.

Work schedules have changed a lot. Maybe these girls are students, maybe they are shopping during a work break - lot of different ideas.

I say enjoy the eye candy and be glad that some people are returning to taking pride in their apperance. (as in being clean and taking a moment to care how they look - not a judgment on the choice of clothes worn)

Comment

Oh my goodness...we used to get other cashiers/baggers' attention to see the...interesting outfits people came into the store in. Bonus points for too tight and showing off all the cottage cheese curds, super low-cut and threatening to cut the girls loose, or way too short and fixing to have werewolves howl at their rear ends.

I guess it all boils down to a lack of common decency. I don't always look my best when I leave the house, but important things are covered and I look presentable.

I don't think it's EVER acceptable to go out in public looking like you just got off work from the strip club (no offense meant here, but there are certain places for certain types of dress. You wouldn't go to the mall in a bikini....or at least you shouldn't. Same type of deal).
                          Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

I've gotten used to the fact that all the rednecks and other people who live around here just simply don't care about their appearance the way I do...and they can stare all they want...I'm not going to change. I don't really like the way they look at me like I'm some Paris Hilton freak from California, but at least I'm not decked out head to toe in blaze orange, Carhart and camoflauge with a Confederate flag belt buckle.

Any guy that has no pride in his apperance and has no desire to look nice is no guy for me.

I go to the bank, tanning salon, and through drive thrus with no makeup and sweats and whatnot, but if I'm going out to eat or shopping or to the club or any other normal weekend outing, I look my best. It feels good to look good.

Comment

For the record, neither of the girls I witnessed were dressed in poor taste. I know all about bad taste. From one of my last jobs, I don't know if there was something in the water, but the local kids were awful. The closest subway was just overrun with prostitots, gangsta-wannabe's, many cases of aggravated eyeslaughter and lots of advertising opportunities for brain bleach.
                              Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Working...
                              X