X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to California

...with an aching in my heart..

no but seriously I'm going to California in August. My new hubby's grandparents sent us an epic check that we used to buy plane tickets and make arrangements to stay with his parents, and they're going to drag us all over the "wine country" areas (amador, sutter creek, etc) visiting his family. ^_^

ONE teensy weensy little itty bitty problem...
    I'm TERRIFIED of airplanes. I've never been on one, but I'm terrified of heights, claustrophobic, and I tend to have panic attacks when closely surrounded by strangers.

Anyone have any ideas on how to cope BESIDES getting incredibly smashed on the plane? Because I'm sure my lovely flight attendants do not want to deal with my drunk ass on a plane.
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Bring something with you that will keep you and your better half occupied. I would suggest something like say a Gameboy/Nintendo DS/PSP, iPod/MP3 player of your choice, portable DVD player (of course with DVD's of your choice) or if you have one: a laptop. It'll help you focus less on the flight itself without having to go the smashed off your ass route.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Just never let them tell you that they're all the same!

No good advice here, except that I am exactly like you.

I haven't even been on a plane since I started having panic attacks like that. It's not by design, it's just I never had a reason to.

Comment

You could go to your doctor and ask for a sleeping pill, or even just get some melatonin and take that right as you get on the plane, before take off, so that you'll sleep the entire way.

Comment

Quoth RedHeadPhoneGirl View Post
          You could go to your doctor and ask for a sleeping pill, or even just get some melatonin and take that right as you get on the plane, before take off, so that you'll sleep the entire way.
          problem with that method is that I'm the one in charge of making sure we make the right connections and get thru the stop-overs correctly, and it takes me an average of 2 hours to be awake enough to pay attention to things after I've slept. >.>

ETA: this is also the reason I can't just get drunk..
          "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Then I'd pass the responsibility off to another person in the party.
            Flat out say _ "I am terrified of airplanes, and am claustrophobic. To deal with this, MY DOCTOR has recommended me to *insert task here*. IF I do that, I'm not going to be able to be the thinker here. Who can help?"

Really. I'm all for being a leader, but at the same time, I take care of myself.

Cutenoob
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Well what about something to just help you relax? Maybe not sleep, but something to help your nerves like Adavan (spelling?)

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                I would suggest something like say a Gameboy/Nintendo DS/PSP, iPod/MP3 player of your choice, portable DVD player (of course with DVD's of your choice) or if you have one: a laptop.
                I have terrible trouble with traveling anywhere on anything. The only thing that keeps me sane is my iPod. So...I second this.
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                X