This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview tips- for interviewers

Just a little ditty I posted on my Facebook page that I thought you guys would enjoy. Feel free to add your own tips!

First impressions are crucial in the professional world, and little embodies that fact better than the job interview. We've all had interview etiquette pounded into us since middle school- that how we dress, how we speak, how we present ourselves demonstrates what we can offer as an employee. Not as much attention is given to how employers present themselves, but I feel it's just as important- professionalism goes both ways. An interviewer's behavior not only provides insight on their suitability as a potential employer, but also leaves lasting impressions on their company.

Following is my own little list I've compiled after witnessing some bizarre, unprofessional, and downright rude behavior in job interviews past. Some of these should have been grounds for standing up, politely thanking the interviewer for their consideration, and ending the interview right there. Unfortunately, I've taken some jobs with these bad interview signs, and they turned out about as well as you might expect. But that's how we learn, right?

1. Be on time. Unless you're making an emergency drop-off of frozen corneas for eye donation, your daily schlep to the post office can probably wait until after the interview.

2. This is an office, not an abbatoir. I'm well-dressed down to my undies. The least you could do is wear a shirt without stains.

3. Please read and review my resume before the interview, not during.

4. Please don't constantly interrupt me, especially when I'm trying to answer a question you asked.

5. Do not make insulting remarks about the person whose position I will be taking. That speaks volumes about your character.

6. Personal space. There's plenty of room in this foyer. Your knees should not be touching mine.

7. Do not follow up your declination to discuss my salary with "but it should be plenty for a single woman." There is so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to begin.

8. The more you go on about what a great/cool/fair boss you are, the more I think you're an insecure micromanager who rules your employees with an iron fist.

9. By the same token, the more you go on about how all the employees are just a big family, the more inclined I am to believe it. A highly dysfunctional family with the manager as an abusive matriarch/patriarch, but a family nonetheless.

10. "I don't want any new ideas. My employees might have new ideas when they start, but eventually they do things my way because it's the right way." Gee, do they also say the sun is the moon because you say it's the moon?

11. Do not lie to me or schedule me for an interview under false pretenses. Ever. Not only have you lost a potential employee, regardless of the position you had in mind for me, but you've lost my business as well.
    Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Quoth Bradester
    7. Do not follow up your declination to discuss my salary with "but it should be plenty for a single woman." There is so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to begin.
    Oh wow. Just....wow. I don't know where to begin either.

Comment

or this one

- do not sit BESIDE me at the longest board room table in the world and 'look' at me from the corner of your eye.

Comment

Working...
      X