This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to stop looking at ebay

i got curious and looked up my favorite multimeter ... yes i'm a geek. ain't really touched test equipment in a few years but i still drool over it...

so i looked up the fluke 77 and found some for sale.

a few were as low as 20-40... which i don't trust, cos knowing their reliability I was expecting between 100-200. checked the cheap ones out and, sure enough, they're "as is".

then I saw a couple that were just over 100... and o man, I don't need to be buying $100 toys I don't really need. even if i do love them... i just don't NEED a 77.

had to close out the page before I started getting silly and buying myself a whole calibration lab or something.

though... i did chuckle when I saw one was listed as being "calibrated". Ok... that is plausible, cos you can run the calibration tests on them and slap on a "calibrated" sticker to indicate it's within standards. but there ain't anything you can actually adjust on them... just the 9v battery and a couple of fuses.

... i'm starting to geek out again, hah.

anyway i do miss using flukes. if i ever need a multimeter again i know where to look now.

*walks away from nostalgia lane*
    =)

*stares blankly at post*
    Multi-....huh? Flukes? You mean fish?

What are you doing with fish and how is it legal?
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

haha. No it's not a fish.

The company is named after John Fluke and they make electronic equipment, mostly test equipment.

Basically the Fluke 77 is a digital volt-ohm meter, but it can measure amps too. pretty rugged

Comment

Basically, look at an electrician doing some wire testing. They always carry around a multi-meter, which is used to test varying aspects of electrical and electronic systems. From how much juice(electricity) it's getting(volts), at what rate the juice is flowing (Amps) to if there's a bottleneck causing resistance (ohms) and probably a few others in there. A multi-meter can be used for some or all of those in varying scales. The ones usually used by electricians are digital readouts and look like a large graphic calculator with a dial instead of buttons and a couple of leads coming out of them.

Flukes is a maker of a really good quality multi-meter and are in pretty frequent use. Odds are if you see a field electrician out on the street using his multi-meter, it's probably a Flukes.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
        X