This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANxiety sufferers out there?

Today is just a bad day for GAD for me. I am terrified and I don't know what of. I at least took my medicine, with a couple of extra pills that were given to me to help me calm down, (by a doctor) and I was wondering if you had any advice, or stories about beating this shit. I pretty much have every kind of anxiety there is, aside from PTSD, but it's General Anxiety Disorder that's making things bad for me now.
    All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

I have an anxiety disorder as well, and my biggest tactic for fighting is breathing. I know you've probably heard this one before, but try to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, concentrating on your breathing, keeping it even and slow. This will help to take your mind off of the anxiety and to slow all the panic effects in your body.

Comment

I tell ya what I had a episode the other day...whoa buddy

I just find someone like a older coworker,get a cold drink,a place to sit and shoot the shit with them.Talk about anything that bothers you or scares you(make sure its someone you trust).It helped me the other day within 20 mins or so, I really don't know why? I've been having them more often lately because of this new place taking over my store,it scares me.

Comment

I have GAD also, mostly emotional anxiety (when dealing with my daughter, Child Rum).

I actually had an anxiety/panic attack this morning (I thought I forgot to turn off the stove and my parents don't have a key to the house - ACK!)

I just told myself to breath, stay calm and to focus on my driving (yes, I had this attack whilst on I-95).

By the time I got home, my house was still standing, and the stove was turned off.

Comment

PTSD is the one I've got, so I don't know what helpful input I could have, other than to wish you luck with it. Anxiety sucks.
          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

There's a book called Don't Panic by Reid Wilson that I found helpful.

There's also a Depression and Anxiety Workbook (not sure the exact title but it's something like that) that my cousin recommended years ago. I didn't really get into it but he found it very helpful.

Don't forget to breathe.

I had a bit of an episode last night. I went to the doctor (ironically to discuss getting off my anti-depressants) and while she was looking at my medical history she asked if I'd had a tetanus shot in the last ten years, which I hadn't (probably not since before I went to college). So I figured I may as well get the shot while I was there. One of the things that sets me off is any new medicine that I haven't taken before (or in a long time). And of course when I look at the info sheet my brain turns right to the scary parts. I sat in the parking lot for about 15 minutes or so and read in my car, partly to distract myself, and partly because that way, if something should happen, I'm right outside the office and can go back in. Of course, I have no history of any kind of allergic reaction to any drug, but knowing that doesn't help....
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yes, breathing is good. Trust me. I couldn't get a hold of my husband at his work phone, his cell phone & his special blackberry phone. The weather outside is pretty nasty. Haven't heard from husband since 8:20 this morning.

Guess what I had?

Yup. Panic attack. Big one. Freaked poor Child Rum the heck out.

Wasn't pretty.

Hubs is coming home btw. He's safe. Until he gets home and then he's getting a talking to.

I hate panic attacks. I hate anxiety attacks.

And 2 in 1 day? Yeah ... My idea of fun ... NOT.

Comment

I have OCD, GAD, PTSD, and a few others in the alphabet soup of anxiety disorders.

I'm also a MASSIVE Star Trek fan. And a bibliophile.

If I find myself slipping into either a panic attack or a day of general anxiety and depression, I do two things.

1. Imitate Spock (or another Vulcan, though I find Spock to be the easiest to channel). Note what is causing the reaction, break it down into constituent parts, and address them one by one, while not allowing the panic free reign. If it's something I can't solve immediately for any particular reason, I write it down and set it aside to deal with later.

2. Pick up either a good book that doesn't require a ton of attention (simple sci fi generally works. Physics texts....do not) or a piece of fanfiction in a fandom I'm particularly obsessed with at the moment.

Oh, and the third... Cleaning. The last two weeks, my apartment and the store have been spotless. Though now I'm subjected to ex-roommates who have descended on the apartment and turned it into a sty...which causes more anxiety. I think I need to reorganize the closets again, since I can't do anything about the living room or kitchen.

If I'm really bad, and I'm not working (and it's not two am), I go for a run. Burning off the energy is one of the best things. Especially since I discovered that if I'm running on a regular basis, and hiking at least once a week, I'm less likely to panic over, well, anything, since I don't have the excess energy for it. I've redirected what was formerly mental energy into physical.

If you can get into a yoga class, that's even better.

Comment

Yup

*raises paw* I'm in that particular boat. Music works for me, sometimes...drumming, Native flutes, and thunderstorms.

I have GAD, depression, and PTSD, that I know of. At least, that's what the latest medical "professional" to try and sift through things calls it.

Sending hugs and good thoughts/prayers your way.

Comment

I have GAD (leaning towards Emotional Anxiety, but my Anxiety is more generalized with the Emotional geared towards Child Rum).

I have depression.

I have OCD.

I've been driving my hubs and my mom up the wall. Especially for the last 2 days.

Comment

What works for me:

-Meditation. The breathing exercises already mentioned are similar to the way you breathe in yoga, which is a form of meditation. (the word "yoga" means "harness the mind" apparently)
                      -exercising (see the getting back in shape thread)
                      -fish oil supplements seem to help as well. That could just be the placebo effect as there haven't actually been any clinical trials.
                      -tea (3-5 cups a day)

Comment

I like those Easy Fill-In Puzzles. You can find them in the magazine area in like Borders. It's a small book and the puzzles look like crosswords, but in the puzzle, they'll give you one word from a list on the page and then you have to figure out where all the other words go in the puzzle. It's great fun.

Closing my eyes and going to my "happy place".

Taking a nap. (Naps are awesome, don't let anyone knock you for taking one).

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                          I like those Easy Fill-In Puzzles. .
                          I like Boggle puzzles. I have a couple books, and last year I had the tear-off calendar (they didn't make one this year ).
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have GAD that's gotten worse in the past few weeks. I'm going to cognitive behavioral therapy with a counselor and it's helping me tremendously. We use something similar to the Depression/Anxiety workbook that Bookstore was talking about.

I'm also on Wellbutrin and Zoloft (we're phasing out the Wellbutrin, it's not working for me). So far the meds have been helping me a lot, but I still write out my thoughts or exercise if possible. I also meditate and tell myself that things are never as bad as they seem.

A good book is "Anxiety Free" by Robert Leahy (sp?). It teaches you a lot about how anxiety originates and it's a very interesting read. Especially if you can relate to it like I can! I repeat to myself over and over that I'm SAFE no matter what the situation, and eventually I believe it.

Hope this helps! Sometimes meds alone aren't enough, and if you can't go to therapy there's great books out there. You aren't alone and you shouldn't feel ashamed.
                            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Working...
                            X