Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for a good and unusual cake or pie?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this situation comes up again, this is the cake I make for my composition students on the last day of class (in fact, there's one in the oven right now). I have former students show up on the last day of class hoping for leftovers.

Hot Milk Cake

Ingredients
    2 1/4 cups flour
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    4 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 stick butter
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Place milk and butter in a sauce pan over low heat until butter is completely melted. Preheat oven to 350 (that's about 175 for you Celsius folks).

Take 1/3 of the flour mixture and add to eggs and sugar. Stir thoroughly until mixed. Add 1/2 of the milk and butter mixture, and stir again. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture again, then repeat with the milk and butter. Finish with the last of the flour mixture, stirring completely each time. Finally, add the vanilla and stir completely.

Pour into Bundt pan and cook for 50 minutes to an hour. When an inserted toothpick comes out clean, it's done. The resulting cake is about the texture of a pound cake, firm and moist, and produces very few crumbs. Great without frosting (but good with it), excellent with fruit, and delicious with a sugar glaze.

Sugar Glaze
    2 tablespoons warm/hot water
    1 teaspoon flavored extract (orange is good for this, but vanilla works)
    powdered sugar

Combine ingredients, stirring constantly. Continue adding powdered sugar in small doses until the resulting mixture is a thick, opaque paste. Pour over cake. Allow to dry and harden.

Bon appetit!
    Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Frozen Pina Colada Pie. Google it. Awesome stuff. Made it for a four course 20 person sit down dinner I did a couple of years ago. And I don't make desserts.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Pot plant cake

cat litter cake
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
        X