This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Murder Shows

I love British detective series. It started when I caught the first episode of "Prime Suspect" on PBS (the American public television channel), and it's only gotten worse. Trouble is, I'm nearly finished with the series I'm currently watching and don't know what to pick up next.

I've loved "Touching Evil" and "Wire in the Blood" (I don't suppose Robson Green- don't tell the husband, I'm a little in love with him- is in any more murder series?) and am nearly finished with WitB. What now?

I've heard good things about "MI5" and "Life on Mars", and one British pal said "Inspector Morse" is right up my alley. I like gritty, dirty, disturbing stuff, if you can't tell. Hercule Poirot is all well and good but I want deeply psychologically disturbed killers (and detectives, if possible). One of these, or something else?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

There is an American version of Life on Mars, the ending is a bit dodgy (looks like they had a quick and dirty one ready to go if the series got cancelled, which it did). I found the British version more entertaining because it goes for 2 seasons and I grew up watching a lot of British TV. Although the moment when Sam looks out at the city and sees something different from the 21st century version is better in the US one.

Also the British version has a sequel, Ashes to Ashes, in which detective Alex Drake has been shot in the head and transported to 1982. Season 2 just finished on a cliffhanger, and season 3 is confirmed.

Comment

Have you seen Cadfael? Derek Jacobi plays the title character, a Benedictine Monk who solves mysteries in the 12th century. It's a very good series.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Do you read much? Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series of novels is fantastic and would be up your alley if you like to read the same sort of thing you like to watch. They're set in Edinburgh.
        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
          Do you read much? Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series of novels is fantastic and would be up your alley if you like to read the same sort of thing you like to watch. They're set in Edinburgh.
          The TV series based on those books stopped being awesome when they killed off the title character.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            The TV series based on those books stopped being awesome when they killed off the title character.
            I've never seen a TV series based on a book series that didn't manage to completely and utterly balls it up. See Bones. Also The Dresden Files.

That, my friend, is why I stick to car chases on TruTV and my local TV news, and just read for the rest of my entertainment.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Thought of it because it's on now (in Australia)... <i>Silent Witness</i> is a great show about a forensics lab.

Comment

I find that british tv shows are alot more entertaining than american shows. I die laughing at british comedy, have not really watched a british murder show will have to watch one now after reading this post.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I shall go trawl Netflix now...
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

There's also Taggart (which has been ging for ages) and Midsomer Murders.
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Don't forget "Frost" with the brilliant Sir David Jason, he's so wonderfully sarcastic
                      "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
                      set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                        Midsomer Murders.
                        The single most dangerous part of the country to live, mass murders every week!
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

A Touch Of Frost is fantastic.

For really disturbing, look out for the "Messiah" series.

Personally i also like "Dalziel and Pascoe", "Maisie Raine", "Trial & Retribution" and "Waking The Dead".

Also look out for "Cold Blood". I'm still scared to watch Matthew Kelly on the TV after watching it.
                          Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                          X