This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-time radio

I've gotten hooked on old-time radio shows this week. I was looking at some podcasts and found some (including some Heinlein on XMinusOne!)

There's actually several sites where you can listen online, and there's everything from Amos and Andy to Sam Spade. I'm having a blast listening to them.
    TANSTAAFL

Sirius/XM has the Radio Classics channel - everything from the original Superman radio series to Gunsmoke, Lights Out, The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee, Dimension X, X Minus One, I Was a Commie for the FBI...I could go on and on. I love those radio shows - the imagination fills in so much that you can scare yourself when you're listening to the ones they run late at night.

Comment

Oh! The SO LOVES old time radio! I'll have to direct him to the site so he can give you a list of the ones you should listen to.

And yes, XMinusOne is awesome.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'm the SO Evil Queen mentioned and yes, I love Old Time Radio. So much that I'm going to build a computer inside an old time radio and have it play the shows, as well as work with my TV and such.

Anyway, X Minus One is excellent. Especially Lulungameena (Show 53, 5/29/56) and Protective Mimicry (Show 70, 10/3/56). If you can find it, you should also get Dimension X, the predecessor to X-Minus One. It had many of the same authors and even some of the same stories.

There's also a lot of other fun radio shows. One of the most interesting ones is a mystery series called "Blackstone the Magic Detective" in which a stage magician (Blackstone) tell stories of mystery and stage magic. Generally the perpetrator of the crime or murder uses some element of illusion, sleight of hand, etc. and Blackstone figures it out and solves the crime, all in fifteen minutes of audio.

Comedies are kind of hit or miss with OTR for me. For example, I liked "The Great Gildersleeve" but couldn't get into "Steptoe and Son"

http://www.freeotrshows.com/ has quite a few shows available for download. Google has many sites where you can find more. Might want to get a copy of FlashGet or DownThemAlll so you can grab a bunch of links at once and get them.

Other shows I like:

The Black Museum - Museum Curator has a variety of pieces all with a story behind them, usually involving true crime.
        Mr. President - Each half-hour episode was based on an incident in the life of one of the people who have held the office of President of the United States
        The Shadow - Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh! The Shadow knows ... "
        Superman = You should know what this show is about.
        I am Evil Queen's sex slave. It pays well.

Yes, I will fix your computer. Compensation is appreciated.
        Current Data = 2.0 TeraBytes

Comment

I'm so lucky I didn't check this yesterday, I had way too much to do to spend all day online! Thanks so much for the info, I can't wait to check them out.
          TANSTAAFL

Comment

Working...
          X