This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storms!!!!!

Ok, yes I whined about the rain before......but now we have a real storms.....thunder, lighting, winds, and a (now expired) tornado warning.

If we're gonna have rain.....this is the way to do it!

(disclaimer....I am a meteorologist, and allowed to be insane)
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Tornado warning in New England? eh, it happens once or twice a year. Just watch out for the green sky.

What part of New England? The area where my sister lived got ripped up form some twisters (Epsom, NH) last year (or was it the year before?).

If you want - come down to Florida when we have our next storm, it's not the tornadoes you ned to worry about, it's the dust devils on massive steriods that can rip up a patio, lanai, shed and then turn it all into projectiles.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Thunder storms in New England? Huricanes, Nor'Easters, blizzards, yes. I didn't think you got thunder storms. The four years I lived in NJ, only had one thunder storm. Everyone freaked out.

Growing up in northern Illinois, I use to watch them roll across the corn fields. Sit in the garage and watch the lightning show.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

True, storms in NJ are rather boring, except that "once every 4-5 years storm".

I just checked the maps - we're going to have the feeder band(s) from "invest 93" coming though this weekend - should be interesting!
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

It looks like the front is not going to push down and give Atlanta anything tomorrow. Just hot & humid and probably no breeze.

Now that band coming across the Midwest looks INTERESTING! Just hope that everyone is safe.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            True, storms in NJ are rather boring, except that "once every 4-5 years storm".
            We had a bit of nastiness tonight...a couple weeks ago, too, on my way to work, and I was driving right into it. Though mostly we've just had a lotta rain lately.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Right now one model still shows Invest 93 staying over water (bad) and heading to FL - landfall would be late next week between Tampa and Ft Meyers (according to the model - but we all know how that can change). This would mean that it could develp into our first named storm of the season. If it goes over the Yucatan (3 of the 5 models show this) then it will go over that and back into the gulf - it might become a depression (no name) and then hit Mexico / Texas if it survives over the Yucatan.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                Ok, yes I whined about the rain before......but now we have a real storms.....thunder, lighting, winds, and a (now expired) tornado warning.

If we're gonna have rain.....this is the way to do it!

(disclaimer....I am a meteorologist, and allowed to be insane)
                Ah, I love storms =) but my poor kitteh was trying to burrow under my fat ass in the desk chair because they terrify her

So ... if you are in Connecticut, do you detest Scot Haney as much as I do?
                Last edited by AccountingDrone; 06-27-2009, 04:27 PM. Reason: can't spell for shit
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

we lost power friday evening around 5pm, got it back saturday around 6pm, just got cable back today around 1130am

i took pics of all the damage in town, our town was one of the worst hit

Comment

uhh, correction...

it was confirmed our town did indeed have a tornado...rated EF-1 winds 85-100mph wooooooooooo

Comment

I've been noticing we're having more storms in the evening hours lately, especially with our high temps hovering around 90.

We had a surprise thundershower yesterday afternoon . . . I remember waking up from a nap (somehow I caught a summer cold and knocked myself out yesterday after work w/Nyquil and slept off and on yesterday evening) and saw it raining. The windows on the car were rolled up, so I went back to bed and heard some rumblings of thunder out of the corner of my ear.

Friday was the same . . late evening thunderstorm right after 5 . . . and we only had a slight chance predicted (20% maybe.) At least it wasn't as bad as what hit us the first week of June and we had one storm system collide into another one that had stalled over Greensboro and we had a MEGA storm with hard rain, extremely strong winds (around 58 mph at its peak) and power outages all over town.

Which I hate the worst. No lights, nothing to do but sit on the porch and watch the rainstorm.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Please send some of that rain down here! Even the cedar trees are dying!

We've had over 2 straight weeks of over 100F temps when our normal high for this time of year is only about 90F. Today, my thermometer on the front porch hit 108F in the shade, and I'm out in the countryside where it's supposed to be cooler.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth sarasquirrel View Post
                          uhh, correction...

it was confirmed our town did indeed have a tornado...rated EF-1 winds 85-100mph wooooooooooo

Your town is quite popular in the news now Glad you were safe!!

Yuppers, not a fan of Scott Haney....I do like Brad Field....met hims a few times, he's a nut, but a harmless one.

I was up in the northern part of the state (which is so funny to say....we're a tiny state....I make it sound like I travled far, ha) and the mall had lost power, was closed for a day. Other than that, I saw little damage.

NE does get its fair share of anything weather will dish out, and though we have all been through it 100x before....everyone still freaks out,....ha!!
                          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                            Your town is quite popular in the news now Glad you were safe!!

Yuppers, not a fan of Scott Haney....I do like Brad Field....met hims a few times, he's a nut, but a harmless one.

I was up in the northern part of the state (which is so funny to say....we're a tiny state....I make it sound like I travled far, ha) and the mall had lost power, was closed for a day. Other than that, I saw little damage.

NE does get its fair share of anything weather will dish out, and though we have all been through it 100x before....everyone still freaks out,....ha!!
                            he cheeses me off so damn much, especially in the winter. Damned jerk pretty much has panic attacks on camera about how dangerous it is to drive, slippery roads, black ice, SOOOOOOoo much snow .... makingeverybody slow down and drive like 30 on 84 or 95 or Rt 2, and it turns out to be about half an inch of snow overnight .... Makes me thankfull whenever we go up to my moms for weekends in the winter ... half an inch of snow and they slow down from 80 to 70 on the NYS throughway

Really, they don't have winter in Connecticut, I wear a windbreaker as the heaviest coat typically. I keep a parka in the trunk for travel in case of accident, but it rarely gets below 20 here any more. It there is a snowflake, Haney has everybody panicing. When we moved here from Virginia in november of 89, there was a blizzard alert in Feb. We were pumped, went to the grocery and stocked up with some of the rokeach votive candles in glass jars, a couple lighters, batteries for the radio, 3 or 4 jugs of water, and makings for a huge pot of chili, and made sure that I had a quarter cord of wood stacked on the deck by the door under a tarp to keep the snow off it.

We got a whole inch of snow. For the whole weekend. People were whining about how bad the storm was.

For the record, I grew up in the area in western NY where I could sled out of the attic window on a huge victorian house ... specifically this one
                            See the top floor, the windows all the way up there? by that chimney ...

Now *that* is winter. We would have ice storms rolling in over the great lakes [probably after they got tired of tormenting Nunavit...] and dump there, as it is the top end of one of the appalachian ranges. [Tourist plug - Letchworth State Park is in the area, fantastic place for camping, and quiet because it isnt well known]
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                            X