This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any pet-sitters run into this?

Somewhat related to my " 'why did you even call me' tax" thread in Unsupportable...have any of you who pet-sit run into clients setting their own prices after the fact?

The same friend from that thread works as a caretaker for an elderly woman who I know has more money than she knows what to do with.

Friend: F
    Elderly woman: EW

I also apartment-sit and dog-sit for F's dog; my rate with her is $20/day as the pooch is extremely well-behaved and she gives me the run of her place.

One of EW's cats needs insulin (IMO, too much but I'm not a vet). I know how to do this, and my rates for cats that need "extra" care beyond feed/water/attention is $30/day which is comparable to what the local vet charges for boarding (they won't even board the diabetic cat as he's gone after a few of the techs...he's also gone after me a few times and is generally fairly difficult).

Last week I did it for two days, so that would be $60 (plus $5 for "absolute last minute"). She knows this; EW shortchanged me the last time ($50 for four days) and F agreed that EW could be paying me more especially in light of the fact that diabetic-cat is a bit psycho and won't really let anyone with a syringe near him.

F gives me $40 and says "$20 a day is fine for family and friends" ...yeah I know that's what I say, but clients aren't the ones setting the prices.

I really need to draw up an actual contract for this stuff.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Yes, absolutely draw up a contract. Although after the complete fiasco I just went through (see thread titled "Adventures in Dogsitting"), I will never ever EVER do it again. EVER.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Umm ya you really should write a contract. Especially when it comes to pilling a cat.

I love cats but will never own one again. Why?? Because I can't drink enough Jack Daniels to safely pill one.
      Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        I also apartment-sit and dog-sit for F's dog; my rate with her is $20/day as the pooch is extremely well-behaved and she gives me the run of her place.

One of EW's cats needs insulin (IMO, too much but I'm not a vet). I know how to do this, and my rates for cats that need "extra" care beyond feed/water/attention is $30/day which is comparable to what the local vet charges for boarding (they won't even board the diabetic cat as he's gone after a few of the techs...he's also gone after me a few times and is generally fairly difficult).
        1) Damn you're cheap - I'm glad you're up there and not here - my wife gets $50-$100 a day for pet sitting - depends on the drive, what needs to be done, etc..

2) Yes, draw up a contract and have them sign it.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Our cat is fairly easygoing about the whole thing (insulin shot plus pill for an unrelated matter); the difference is we started correctly with him. I think all that was done with psychocat was he got chased with a syringe.

Yes, I'll negotiate for definite financial hardships (F is self-employed and things are tight, so we've agreed on use of her place as partial payment for the dog). EW is not particularly hard-up.

It's a strange situation; the vet won't deal with psychocat, so it seems that I would be within my rights to charge extra based on the cat's history of going after anyone with a needle. It seems that EW (and by extension F, as she handles EW's financial stuff) thinks that I'm doing this as a favor seeing as the vet won't deal with the cat...I don't think that's how it works.

Comment

If the cats too much for the vet to want to deal with, what part of this transaction should somehow be taken as a favor?? Vets are well trained when it comes to administering drugs to cats and dogs. You are just baby-sitting the cat. I would NOT consider that just a simple favor.
            Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

*nodnod* Yes, I can give pills and insulin shots but I'm not a vet tech so am unable to handle the really complicated stuff; should anything go south I would need to get the animal to the vet via taxi and some around here won't take fares with animals.

It's amazing how some people will assume that you're a DVM because you petsit.
              Quoth draggar View Post
              1) Damn you're cheap - I'm glad you're up there and not here - my wife gets $50-$100 a day for pet sitting - depends on the drive, what needs to be done, etc..
              That's my "family friends" rate, although it's not binding--for my last dogsitting "adventure" (hyper puppy and renovations in the apartment) I was paid $50/day plus reimbursed for the days I absolutely had to drop the pup at doggy daycare. It also helps that I'm word-of-mouth only and local (I don't drive).
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Even after working as a vet tech for a year and a half, I've still been able to successfully pill only one cat. ever. even with a pill-pusher.

When my current vet prescribes meds for my cats, I'm always sure to ask for drops. One of them, though, has a very bad habit--she will projectile spit her meds back out.

The fourth time I was unsuccessful at administering her first drops, I asked the vet to give it a try, himself. I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud when she spit her worming drops back out all over him! All I could say was, "I'm glad to know it isn't just me!"

She still spits, but I've learned to dodge!
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

If I were you, I would refuse to sit for EW again until you get you get the money she owes you, plus the money for the new job.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                    Even after working as a vet tech for a year and a half, I've still been able to successfully pill only one cat. ever. even with a pill-pusher.
                    One of our old cats was a nightmare to pill. It took two people; one of us caught her and wrapped her tightly in a towel, the other swooped in with the pill (even with a pill-pusher, it occasionally ended up across the room). Forget about giving her hairball medicine; we had no doubt that she would bite a finger off if given the chance.

The vet (and a tech) had to use falconry gloves to do any exams. She was evil.

Comment

I can get a pill in any of my cats... some have a disagreement where the conversation seems like:
                      me: "here's your pill!"
                      cat: "f off"
                      me: *grabs cat*
                      cat: "die you bastard!!!"
                      me: "oh you didn't...." *puts cat in position where it's mouth is open and it can't move*
                      cat: *shakes head from getting pill*

Then others (ones that sleep in my bed), they eat the pills (in a pill pocket thing) without effort. And if it's liquid meds? He'll grab it from me and try to take it himself! (probably because all liquid meds are pain killers... the cat likes being high).

Comment

Oh man, I am here laughing my ass off. Literally. To the point I'm laughing so hard I'm coughing.

Then the cats look at me - one of which will be getting spayed next week. Ooooh boy, am I in for it!

/threadjack

Comment

Cute stories! But I gotta agree, hold out for the rest of your money. WHen she can't get anyone to watch/pill the cat, she'll be back.

Slight thread jack, but I've got a situation for you to try to give a cat meds. When I adopted my one hairball she had just been hit by a car. She crawled under my stairs, and me being the soft touch took her to the vet. Which led to the fun of; How do you give a cat liquid meds when she has a broken hip, and torn ligaments in that leg? And is half-skinned due to having to be debridded (sp?) to removed injured tissue from where the tire rubbed her? Answer, hold them in front of her face until she backs between 2 dressers that are just wide enough for her body, but not for the e-collar we had her in. Pin the head, stuff the syringe in her mouth.

Comment

I used to have a fairly vicious 15 pound cat.

Fortunately, I also have fencing gear. jacket, mask, gloves, coif, the works. You can almost pill or wash a cat like that injury-free wearing it. All of it.

The 20 dollars she decided not to pay you, just don't even ask for it. Let it go. It makes a good reason to say "no" next time she asks. That cat is way too high maintenence, and that woman is way too cheap. Eat the 20 bucks and walk away, knowing she will never do this to you again.

Call it a small price for getting rid of a SC.

Comment

And I thought my cockatiel was a pain to give medication to. But he's small enough I can hold on to him, even though he can be fairly vicious. My dog on the other hand....wrap said pill in peanut butter and she doesn't even know it's there. She also thinks her heartworm preventative is a tastey treat.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X