This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underage Drinking

On the radio today, an ad was playing from one of the local high schools bragging about how their students are too busy to indulge in alcohol. One of the students was saying "I guess that's why 72% of <Nearby> High School students don't drink in a typical month."

Hold on a second. That means that 28% of students DO drink in a typical month. This is something to be proud of?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    On the radio today, an ad was playing from one of the local high schools bragging about how their students are too busy to indulge in alcohol. One of the students was saying "I guess that's why 72% of <Nearby> High School students don't drink in a typical month."

Hold on a second. That means that 28% of students DO drink in a typical month. This is something to be proud of?
    Sounds pretty low to me. I know almost no one from my high school class who didn't occasionally drink back in high school. And I just graduated high school in 2006.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Unless the school in question happens to be the Extremely Christian Academy Of Fairly Unattractive Uptight Young Men And Women Wearing Chastity Belts, I find that figure to be complete BS.

I'd have to imagine that in a normal high school, at least 75% of the student body has drank alcohol underage in a typical month. Just about everybody I knew my high school consumed alcohol at some time; if they didn't do it at parties they did it at home with their parents unaware. I know I did.

But then again this is Wisconsin I'm talking about, where beer is handed out with grade school cafeteria lunches.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Honestly, I think most of my friends engage in underage drinking, but I'm not surprised given the situation I'm in, in that I'm turning 21 in about 4 months, and in college. I don't primarily because I hate the taste of Alcohol, from what little I've had, and fail to see the attraction in getting drunk. Maybe I'm unusual like that, but whatever.
        All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

Comment

Irv is right. Weuns was drunk in kindergarten!
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Two of my friends and I have made it to 19 without drinking underage (at least not since we've known better, anyway) and don't see the need to drink now instead of waiting another two years or so until we'll be legal. I'm fairly certain we're the only ones who don't drink for a reason other than "Because I don't like it" out of my entire graduating class, which had over 700 people in it.
            "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

That means only 28% admitted to it.

Odds are the numbers are reversed.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I'm 21 and I've never had a sip of alcohol.

Sex is my only vice. And I don't even have that anymore.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  If that figure is accurate (which I highly doubt), that may be something to be proud of in the sense that I do believe that the national average is 50% or higher. I would wager on higher.

Of course, I didn't start drinking until I was 17....actually, maybe 16....but that's just me. And Beer knows I've been making up for lost time ever since!

Quoth SorryIsGoodEnough View Post
                  I'm 21 and I've never had a sip of alcohol.
                  And you are the exception....and you know it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

I never had alcohol until I was 22. Namely because my parents were near-teetotalers (one drink a year at most; they just weren't big on it) and didn't have any alcohol in the house.

Even now, I very rarely drink.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 06-30-2009, 01:30 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

See, even in Consertative Utah, about half my graduating class (2007) would be drinking on a regular basis, possibly more.

Even I was drinking at 16, just when my parents weren't home, or if I was at a certain friend's place. It never effected my ability to go to school in any way, and I still graduated a semester early.

I just think this is a non-issue, but just my opinion.
                      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

I have to be super careful.

Both sides of my family give me incredible alcohol tolerance....it truly is a crazy thing when 5'3 120 lb blas87 can outdrink her 6'0 200 lb boyfriend under the table, and hold all that alcohol.

In fact, I've only thrown up a couple of times from drinking....once I had such an awful hangover, I didn't throw up while drunk, but I felt so ill that I made myself throw up just to feel better.

The other time, a bunch of coworkers and I went out and I just lost all control. I spent nearly $60 that night (but some of that was for shots for everyone, we took turns buying rounds of shots) and I just pounded down drink after drink after drink with no break in between.....then I proceeded to try to drink an entire fishbowl of several different alcohols together.......and then at 2 am, I was carried down the stairs, lit up a cigarette on the curb, proclaimed "I'm going to burp"....grabbed my hair and puked all over my coworker's shoes and the road. And I felt 110% better.....then we went out to eat and I indulged in some awesome shrimp and fries and cheesecurds.

Back on topic, though....with that tolerance also comes from my mother's side of the family, very bad alcohol abuse problems. I have had my ups and downs....when I had more money, I'd go out and get drunk every single Friday and Saturday night. Last summer, when I was dating Nancy Boy and was extremely unhappy with him....even though money was getting tight, I still went out and got as drunk as possible, because just for a few hours, it was as if I had all the friends in the world and I didn't have an asshole boyfriend who didn't think I was good enough for him. I'd go out with him and wait for my girlfriends to show up and I'd ditch him and get so drunk I could barely walk, but I'd love every second of it.

I saved all of these gift certificates that we get every Christmas at work for the local grocery....they only take $1 off every year for not using them....so when money got REALLY tight....I bought a bunch of booze and I'd get shitfaced drunk at home, then get picked up and go to the bar already drunk so I'd only have to buy a couple of drinks the rest of the night....or at least buzzed enough so that it would last a while.

I'm just glad that for the past 9 months or so, I have kept in under control, most of that alcohol is still in the fridge and barely ever gets touched, and I don't waste tons of money anymore at the bar. It helps when you get a reality check and meet someone who makes you happy and you have a great group of real friends who are willing to do other things with you than drink.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                        X