This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More dog-sitting tales.

Dreamstalker's pet-sitting thread (and AdminAssistant's older pet sitting thread that I went back and read) reminded me of this little story that I just thought I'd share.

I was pet-sitting for a friend of mine a few years ago. They lived in the same town that I did and their dogs were used to be alone for fairly long periods of time, so I didn't spend every night there. One night I was on my way to their house, it was late, probably about 11:00. I was driving along the highway out to their house when all of a sudden I heard a SPLAT next to me. My then-boyfriend was with me and was drinking a soda, and at first I thought it had exploded. He said he was fine when I asked, and that it wasn't his soda. We pulled off at the next gas station and it turns out, someone had thrown an egg at my car! We cleaned it up as best we could and I was sort of cursing and muttering, and some guy who was filling up next to us heard me say something like "For the love of God..." and he responded with, "Yes, my child? How may I aid you?" It just sort of annoyed me 'cuz I was so freaked out already!

Anyway, we get to my friend's house, and I immediately called my parents to ask if there was anything else I should do with the egg. My boyfriend, a big dog lover, was playing with the dogs -- two akitas, one west highland terrier (yes, size difference, much?) He was sitting on the floor next to me with the westie, when suddenly he looked up at me in panic. I gave him a puzzled look, looked down...and saw the westie's neck covered in blood. Panicking even more, we checked him out. He had been attacked by something, but we couldn't imagine what. They have a dog door that they can use to go in and out as they please, but their whole yard is fenced in with a pretty high (6+ foot) fence, so I couldn't imagine what had gotten in and attacked him.

We took him to the vet the next morning. Took us forever to figure out which vet, because my friend didn't leave any vet contact info, didn't leave any of HER contact info so I couldn't get in touch with her, none of her other emergency contacts knew, and there were three vets in town. And to make matters worse, as it turns out, the dogs were listed under her husband's name (she kept her last name when she got married, so they have different names.) So it took me two rounds of calling each vet and explaining my situation to figure out which was their vet.

Turns out one of the akitas bit the westie. Apparently the akita had had some territorial issues before, so when my friend found out about it, she wasn't entirely surprised.

All in all it was a happy ending, at least. The westie had to get stitches but otherwise he was okay.

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
    but their whole yard is fenced in with a pretty high (6+ foot) fence, so I couldn't imagine what had gotten in and attacked him.
    I can think of plenty of things that could get over that fence, like deer!

Although I doubt the deer would attack the dog. Not beyond the realm of possibility, though, I know of a deer that thought it was a dog.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
    X