This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made steak!

I'm so excited! I've never made steak before. Last week while we were at the grocery store, I asked my boyfriend to pick out some kind of meat that he felt like, and I'd find a way to prepare it. He picked out ribeye steaks. They were not high quality ribeyes either. We were shopping at Wal-Mart and these steaks were quite thin. I've never prepared any kind of steak, let alone ribeye (both of our favorites) so I wasn't sure what to do. Also, we don't have a grill and don't have room for an indoor grill so I had to come up with some other method of cooking it.

I decided to pan fry it. I had a good-sounding steak marinade recipe that I wanted to try, which included olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and seasoning salt. So I marinated the steaks for about 5 hours, then pan fried them over medium high heat with about half the marinade, for about 6 minutes per side (they turned out a little overdone for my boyfriend...they were about medium well, which is about how I like them.) Then I took the steaks out of the pan and made a sauce with the drippings and milk, flour, butter, and pepper, and served it over the steaks. They were delicious!

I just had to brag a little, I'm so happy. They weren't quite as good as the ribeyes we get at the local steak house, but, hey, we got three steaks here for under $11, whereas at the steakhouse, the ribeyes are $20 a plate. So a pretty dang good deal, I think!

Awesome. The DataJager and I, when we have steaks at home, tend to marinade in either Italian salad dressing (so tasty) or just Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and pepper.

Try marinading overnight next time. You'll love it. Add a small splash of red wine too.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I have grills and smokers but my favorite way to cook a ribeye is on my George Forman grill. I season both sides with some sort of seasoning salt (Lowery's, Regas, Praise Allah, or Tiger). Let them come to room temp, spray the grill with non-stick (yeah I know it's teflon coated but it will come off and I don't want to eat that) heat it up and put the steaks on for about 4 to 5 minutes and that's usually medium for about a pound ribeye.
      I do the same with burger and boneless chops.
      If you're gonna stick with pan fry try to sear boths side within the first minute. That should lock in the juices. Also let the steaks rest after cooking for about 10 minutes that gives the juices time to redistribute from the center back out to edges.
      Dang-it now I'm hungry.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Nice one, congrats! If you ever get the chance, try soaking the steak in red wine over night, fry with salt, pepper, a hint of garlic. If you REALLY want to be fancy, get some beef demi-glace and put that over the top just before you serve.
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

When we were living under a bit tighter money, we bought the thin ones, and you can get a pretty decent tasting steak out of a thin ribeye if you cook it right, which you clearly did.

I discovered, however, that if you pay a little more money for a thick cut, it's better and you can probably get two meals out of it.

A good marinade that I use is tequila, butter, fresh garlic, coarse salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Just throw it all together, coat the steak in it, then cook the hell out of the thing under the hottest broiler or over the hottest grill you can manage.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            Awesome. The DataJager and I, when we have steaks at home, tend to marinade in either Italian salad dressing (so tasty) or just Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and pepper.

Try marinading overnight next time. You'll love it. Add a small splash of red wine too.
            Italian dressing you say? I'll have to try that next time.

I marinate chicken in that and it tastes good.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

wine is awesome so it dressings though i love plain salt and pepper witha little garlic served with mushrooms and onions.
              another tip for good deals on meat, mexican or ethnic centered stores, here i can find good quality beef in great quantitys at great prices in the mexican stores, walmart cant compare to these prices cause they dont advertise and have hugh quantiies and where talking like a 1.25 a pound for top sirloin.
              you just cant buy a little bit you kid of have to buy aot.

Comment

Working...
              X