This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALP! Need Bible references!

Since I know this is a touchy subject, let me start off by saying that I am strictly looking for appropriate passages of the Bible for a project. I understand that there are people on both sides of the issue that may feel strongly about how things could be interpreted, the moral values of Christians, and many other issues. This thread IS NOT HERE TO START A HOLY FLAME WAR! I am simply coming to you as a scholar and an artist asking for the input of the community on what should be used here, the mods and I would appreciate it if things were kept civil.

I'm currently working on a collection of short stories that deal with how everyday folks like you and I would deal with the reality of knowing that the world would be obliterated by an asteroid in about two weeks. With most of the story lines I have so far I have stared a day or two before the announcement that the end is nigh to get the feel of their problems and everyday routines before the world goes crazy.
    The individual that I have decided to start work on this week is a Catholic priest who, until learning of the earth's impending doom, feels that his message is falling on deaf ears. I haven't been to church in ages, but I was a cradle Catholic and from what I can remember from 8 years of Catholic school, there's usually a reading of the gospel, then during the sermon the priest reflects on what was read and how the wisdom contained in said readings can be applied to enhance the lives of his flock.
    I want to set up a series of events where Father Murphy gives a heart-felt sermon about loving your neighbor, living every day as if your last, and the golden rule to about 2 dozen perishoners at morning mass and then a day later, or even that night, gives the exact same sermon to a packed house that's hanging on his every word.

I have a few ideas on where to start, but I don't know my way around the big book like I used to and my google-fu is weak from lack of use Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and again, please keep the fratching on the fratching boards!
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

I suspect that THIS might be of help to you.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

the only one I could think of is the 23 Psalm.
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

well, for an asteroid heading for the earth the first thing that comes to mind is Revelations, but that probably doesn't help much in this case.
        And I agree with Parrothead though... the 23rd Psalm is a good one.
        Actually, come to think of it, Revelations 21 and 22 would probably be pretty good too since those talk about what will happen when the end does come and does touch a little on the importance of being a good person (or at least the importance of not being a bad person).
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
          a heart-felt sermon about loving your neighbor, living every day as if your last, and the golden rule
          Your best bet would be to have Father Murphy reading the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5:38 is a good place to start.

Hope this helps.
          Is it insanity to reason with the voices in your head or to ignore them and hope they go away on their own? - Hod from Brat-halla

"You're the nicest evil person I know" one of my managers to me

Comment

Matthew 24 and 25 will be great references--semi-apocalyptic, and very focused on good deeds done now.
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

And one of the Pagans comes up with a site:

http://www.biblos.com/

Fast and accurate search; pile of versions, including in Hebrew and Greek. It would be more accurate if you found out which version is approved by the Catholic Church.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
              X