This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ear infections!

Last Tuesday, I work up with a mild earache. That night, it was horrible and I could hardly sleep. All Wednesday, I was pretty much miserable and went home early to go to one of those "affordable clinics" to be seen by a doctor.

He said I had swimmer's ear, even though the last time I swam was some time ago. He put me on tylenol 3 (for the intense, severe pain) and ear drops.

One horrible day later, I gave in and finally I saw another doctor and he put me on amoxicillin because he said it was a pretty damn bad case. (he couldn't even see my eardrum because it was so filled up with gunk.)

Now, it's been three or four days since then. My ear is still plugged up with fluid, it's pulsing, ringing, my whole ear is still swollen, so is the side of the face down to my throat. I can't sleep lying down, but I have to sit up and sleep. Oh yeah, and I'm basically DEAF in that ear. Can hardly hear a thing.

When I put a warm compress on my ear, it feels like the fluid wants to drain, but something is blocking it...

It's driving me insane! I've lost so much work because of the pain, being dizzy/vertigo, throwing up (because of the medicine and being dizzy), fever, etc. I've lost six pounds because my face is so swollen that I can hardly eat or drink! I have to drink through a straw and was nearly dehydrated enough Friday that I thought I would have to ask my folks to take me back to the hospital.

How long is it supposed to last?

Oh yeah, and I'm worried that I've been using too much tylenol. Is there another painkiller I can switch to?

CAll the doctor or your pharmacy and see how long it should be taking the antibiotics to be working. You should have had some relief by now for that infection. You will probably have to go back in and be seen again by someone. I would recommend that you do it soon so that you don't take a risk of rupturing your eardrum.

I'm not a doctor by any means. Just a mom who raised 2 kids that had chronic ear infections when they were little.

Comment

I've had ear infections my entire life. Some were pretty bad, others...not so much. The worst, came last year. My right ear was infected so much, I was literally deaf. That, and it hurt like hell. Still, the doctor put me on some antibiotics, and things returned to normal in a few days. If you get dehydrated, get some Gatorade. It does wonders. Oh, and chew gum--it'll help drive out the fluid.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Do you have a family practitioner who you or your parents/family have seen and trust? Or possibly an ears/nose/throat (ENT) doctor who you know of? You should try making an actual appointment with one, rather than going to a walk-in clinic or ER. Unless you're seriously injured, my experience with walk-ins/ERs is that they tell you, "Okay, it's not broken/life threatening, see your regular doctor if it doesn't clear up in a few days."

I'd definitely see someone about it again ASAP. Not to scare you by any means, but I'd be worried about permanent ear damage if it's really so bad.

Addendum: I've never ever had an ear infection, but my boyfriend used to get them as a kid. I read him your thread, and when I finished he looked at my like I was a little crazy and said, "Tell him to go to the ER. Now. Faster." I would say, if it gets any worse, you probably should go to the ER, especially if you can't get to a family practitioner/ENT in another day or so.

Oh, as far as painkillers go, I always like ibuprofen (Advil liquid gels are my drug of choice; they're fairly expensive, but they always work faster and more effective than standard Advil for me.) Not sure for ear infections, though; I use ibuprofen for headaches, muscle aches, etc.

Also, please note that neither of us have any actual professional medical training...just our own experiences with doctors and illnesses. Good luck, and we hope you feel better soon!

Comment

I am not a doctor but I recently had both ears infected.
          Quoth Rine View Post
          He said I had swimmer's ear, even though the last time I swam was some time ago. He put me on tylenol 3 (for the intense, severe pain) and ear drops.
          You get it from having water in your ear, it doesn't have to be swimming it can be rain or bath or shower. You can get tennis elbow without playing tennis.

Quoth Rine View Post
          When I put a warm compress on my ear, it feels like the fluid wants to drain, but something is blocking it...
          STOP

KEEP YOUR EAR DRY.

I made my major ear infection worse a couple months ago because a damp cloth made it feel better. I tried advil, bayer, tylenol (not 3) and aspiring and they only took the edge off, it took oxycodone to make it stop hurting long enough to sleep for a couple hours.

if there is fluid on top of the ear clean it away because it dries and stops the medication from reaching the infection, it may hurt a little but using a qtip may help.

Because my ear was blocked the doctor gave me a pill that I could take I forget the name of it, but between it and the drops he gave me the infection cleared up after a couple days.
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Oh, it's not a wet towel. Well, I used a washcloth the first day. Then, I read on-line about making a warm...thingie to use. I filled a sock up with a cup of white rice and heated in the microwave. Works wonders.

I went to the doctor today and he said my ear got blocked up from...crusty stuff and earwax (his words, not mine.) XD So he carefully (he said!) cleaned it out and it hurt so much, but then my ear started to drain better. It's still full and swollen but the doctor said it should "fix" itself much faster now that it's free to drain and stuff.

I can't wait until I can hear again! Today I worked my first full shift (okay, five hours) in nearly a week and it was annoying having to tell co-workers the same story over and over...(Yes, I have ear infections. Yes, in both ears. Yes, I can't hear you on this side.)

Thank you everyone so much!

Comment

From now on, after every bath,shower,swimming, get toilet paper and dry your ear out by draping the paper over your pinky and sticking it in your ear and wiggling a bit. I have Swimmer's Ear also and it works wonders.

But it has to be right after your shower. Don't wait.

There is my advice =)
              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

UGH! I feel your pain. It's been years since I had an ear infection, but I had a blocked tube that hurt so bad it sent me to the ER at 3 in the morning a couple of years ago.

Have you asked about a decongestant? The doc put me on Vicodin and a decongestant and that helped quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                X