This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Guest movies

I saw This Is Spinal Tap a few years ago and didn't really get why it was supposed to be such a big deal. I mean, I laughed at the whole "it goes to 11" thing, and of course the miniature Stonehenge, but mostly I was bored.

This week, I'm house-sitting for some friends, and they have both Spinal Tap and Waiting For Guffman. Having grown up in a small town and participated in community theater, I decided to watch it. Hilarious!! And so much like small town theater, I winced at every scene. So, after the movie was over, I popped in Spinal Tap. And now I'm laughing like crazy over it.

Still no idea why I didn't like it the first time.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

You were probably expecting a lot more from it. It's an older movie and moves at a slower pace.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      You were probably expecting a lot more from it. It's an older movie and moves at a slower pace.
      You're talking to the chick with a major crush on Frank Capra. Trust me, I'm fine with older movies. I think maybe I was just in the wrong mood the first time I saw the film.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
        Having grown up in a small town and participated in community theater,
        Have you seen State and Main? Quite funny look at Hollywood meets small town.

Comment

I was in an awful community theatre of Sweet Charity with a bunch of other theatre students/alums. We knew it was bad, but we were trying our best to make it passable. Anyway, a bunch of us got together and watched Waiting for Guffman and laughed our asses off.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            Have you seen State and Main? Quite funny look at Hollywood meets small town.
            An excellent movie. Another funny Christopher Guest movie is For Your Consideration.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I watched Blues Brothers once. Didn't understand why people thought it was so great.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                A friend of mine (who was in a band) told me that most rock musicians think it's the greatest movie ever, simply because they get all of the subtle jokes--the revolving door of drummers, the band's manager lying to them ("Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town."), the bad reviews, etc.

That being said, I'm not a musician, and I laughed like an idiot too.
                Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 07-15-2009, 05:44 AM.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I really enjoyed 'A Mighty Wind' which is an hommage to Moses Asche of Folkways Records [the movie takes the form of putting together a TV special of 3 acts made famous by the dead guy, and if you know anything about the Folk movement of the late 50s early 60s it is hysterical] and 'Best in Show' which pokes fun at professional Dog Show folks [like those people you see when you watch something like the Westminister Dog Show]

Christopher Guest's mockumentaries are best watched if you understand a little about the field he is poking fun at, it helps to read the IDMB.Com commentary on it first sometimes =)
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                  X