This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a ride in a B-17

So, on Saturday I will be accompanying my father to Lawrence Municipal Airport in N Andover, MA, where he will get to do something he's always wanted to do: fly in a B-17 Flying Fortress. For a mere $450.

He was born well after WWII ended, but has always had a fascination with the B-17. He and I used to play "B-17 Bomber" on our old Intellivision when I was 5 (this being before we got our NES); he'd fly the plane and do the bomb run; I'd work the machine guns. We had lots of fun doing that. Now he'll get to do it for real (minus actual combat, of course).

One thing I will be doing is taking some detail photos of the plane, as he's requested I make a model of the Liberty Belle (the name of the plane he'll be flying) for his to put in his office as a birthday present. That way, he'll have a model of "his" B-17 that he can point to and say "I flew on THAT plane!"

Oughta be a great day!
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

That is really cool. I would be the person on the ground taking the pictures, as well, but that's really neat for him!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Very, very cool. My dad was always nuts over Hercules. When the nearby RAF base sponsored his school a few years ago, he got to fly in one.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I saw the Liberty Belle last weekend. It usually comes out the weekend of the car show...and was seen all over the place.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
        X