This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin care recommendations

Mkay, so I've had problems with ingrown hairs for a long time, and it's getting really, really annoying. I've heard exfoliants can help, does anyone have any good recommendations? Especially something...cheap and cheerful.

And actually, I've stopped using Clinique's clarifying lotion (can't justify the cost), but I'm not that impressed with the Olay toner I bought. My skin isn't terribly oily, but my nose can get pretty shiny at times. So, toner/astringent recommendations would be welcome as well.

Many thanks!
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

St. Ives products are pretty reasonably priced, and smell good. They make apricot scrub for different skin types, among others. They have a newish line of "natural" products that includes a mineral scrub that I like.

If you really want to go cheap (if not exactly "cheerful"), make a paste of baking soda and water. If that's too drying try mixing it with olive oil or honey, or just mix some in with some creamy body wash (I like Dove, personally). A product with salacylic (sp?) acid might help, too.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-25-2009, 02:51 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have that St. Ives microdermabrasion scrub (in the light blue tube). It's awesome. Makes my skin really soft. I make my own toners, a gentle one with salt for day--salt closes pores and fights keeps period-related pimples at bay--and one for night containing aspirin (rough form of salicylic acid.) I will be happy to post recipes if you want.Moisturizers are anything from the Yes to Carrots (got at Target). Great line, no parabens, have vitamin C. I tend to have oily skin, large pores, and redness, but it's gotten better.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 07-25-2009, 05:53 AM.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You're right that you need to exfoliate for ingrown hairs. You can exfoliate your skin in two ways: Physically with a scrub or washcloth, or chemically with an AHA cream or similar.

Personally, I don't see the point in buying scrubs. You're literally washing your money down the sink. Just get a soft washcloth (I like the ones for babies) and gently move it over your skin in small circles.

If you do decide to do a scrub, I'd stay away from the so-called all-natural ones, especially St. Ives. They tend to use walnut shell pieces and other sharp, abrasive "natural" ingredients. These will cause your skin to look worse after using them for a time. Scrubs should only use small and round scrubbers. You can make your own gentle scrub at home by mixing baking soda with a small bit of water, like BSE said. You aren't going to get anything cheaper or better in a store.

The most effective treatment for ingrown hairs is AHA creams, but you can't get them cheap. You can use creams with salicylic acid, too, which are cheap, but unless you have very oily skin, you'll probably find them too harsh and drying. Some salicylic creams say they are for "sensitive" skin. All this means is that they put in too little product to have any effect.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I have that St. Ives microdermabrasion scrub (in the light blue tube).
          That's the one I have. I don't use it every day. I've meant to check out that Yes to Carrots stuff. Just cuz I like the name. My skin tends to be oily, too, so I'm always looking for lotions with sunscreen (I have really fair skin, too) that won't make it worse.

Comment

Thanks, guys!

I've tried the baking soda/water thing...and found it to be messy and a pain. For moisturizer (face), I use Aveeno...it's great! Body lotion - right now, the Target version of Aveeno and B&BW body cream. Black raspberry vanilla...mmmmmm. I've also stopped using those...poof things (what are they actually called?). Right now, I just use washcloths, but I've considered getting more of a loofah type thing.

I'll probably go to Walgreen's today and see what they have, need to buy some fish oil anyway. I do need to pick up some sacilyic acid stuff....I keep it around to treat my (relatively rare) breakouts.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
              Black raspberry vanilla...mmmmmm.
              My roomie has that body wash. I think it's too heavy a scent, personally (especially for summer). She also got one from B&BW's True Blue Naked line, called Summer Touch. It's a creamy body wash and smells like summer. I haven't broken down and gone to get some of my own, yet, though. That would require going to the mall, and besides, I don't want to spend $15 on soap.

I've been using Dove cucumber and green tea bars, plus Neutrogena skin-clearing body wash a few times a week. I have Neutrogena face bar but it's a little drying. I'll switch to something else when I use this up (overall, though, I like Neutrogena products and have used them for years). At night I use their lavender-scented "relaxing" face wash or whatever it is. Not sure if I'll get that again, either, but I probably have at least a couple weeks left before I'll have to replace it. My roommate has their grapefruit-scented face wash, and while I normally like grapefruit-scented stuff (especially in the summer), I don't particularly like Neutrogena's version of the scent.

I also have Vaseline's new Aloe Fresh stuff. I saw a special promo package that had the big bottle of lotion with sunscreen and a small bottle of the gel moisturizer, and came with a little tote bag (that will come in handy at the grocery store). I like it; it smells light and fresh, and the gel isn't sticky like they can sometimes be. They also make another lotion, I think without the sunscreen.
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-25-2009, 03:49 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Well, the trick with B&BW is to get on their e-mail list and combine coupons with sales and get stuff for $5.....or free!

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  Well, the trick with B&BW is to get on their e-mail list and combine coupons with sales and get stuff for $5.....or free!
                  Hehe...I should do that. I'm pretty sure she got hers during a sale. I figure the "summer" stuff will probably go on a decent sale in the next few weeks. I do get coupons in the mail, though they come to my parents' house. It still requires going to the mall, though.

Comment

As a person who suffers from one of the most active sebums known to man (I can start going greasy just 1 1/2 to 2 hours after washing my face!), there is nothing you can do to prevent shine. You can delay it by eating well, not wearing makeup, using good products, exercising, drinking gallons of water.....but you can't prevent it period. I already tried.

Although they are somewhat spendy, I buy those little oil absorbing sheets and take them with me literally EVERYWHERE I go, I always have them in my purse, and every couple of hours or every time I go potty, I blot all the grease off of my face. Clean and Clear makes some nice ones that don't smudge your makeup at all, you can literally blot your whole face and nothing but the oil comes off.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      Clean and Clear makes some nice ones that don't smudge your makeup at all, you can literally blot your whole face and nothing but the oil comes off.
                      I have some from Bath & Body Works, but I like the Clean and Clear better, too.

Comment

I should say that saying they were spendy was kind of subjective, on my part.

They are $5 for a 50 pack, but that only lasts me about 2 weeks, if I'm lucky. I go through 3 of them a night at work, and on the weekends I use 3-5 of them on Friday and Saturdays.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          Although they are somewhat spendy, I buy those little oil absorbing sheets and take them with me literally EVERYWHERE I go
                          I love those things. You're right; they remove the oil but leave your make-up in place. I used to use powder, but that just adds more make-up, and by the end of the day I'd look clownish.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Re: Those sheets...

Does anyone know if they are effective if you have very dry skin?

I know, sounds like it wouldnt be a problem but when I do wear makeup, a bit of shine arrives on my nose a few hours later, even though I am extremely dry.

Does anyone with dry skin have any experience with them? What are some good brands?
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                              Re: Those sheets...

Does anyone know if they are effective if you have very dry skin?

I know, sounds like it wouldnt be a problem but when I do wear makeup, a bit of shine arrives on my nose a few hours later, even though I am extremely dry.

Does anyone with dry skin have any experience with them? What are some good brands?
                              All they do is soak up the oil that's sitting on top of your skin, so they shouldn't make dry skin any drier. The only ones I've used are the Clean and Clear, which you can get in drugstores, and the Bath & Body Works, which I got a long time ago and I'm not sure they still carry. I've also read that plain old rice paper from an art supply store does the same thing (cheaper but you'd have to cut it up into smaller sheets).

Comment

Working...
                              X