This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sculpture class advice

So I started school on Monday. I have one class on Tuesday, sculpture. The first thing we have to do is make a head/bust of someone. we can do someone we know, someone famous, a cartoon, animal, etc.

I was thinking about doing Mystique from X-men, but it would be nice to have other ideas. I don't know how good my skills in creating a 3D person are.

I also thought about characters from futurama and some disney characters.

Whatever you decide to do, if you're doing a cartoon or someone from a movie, try to find pictures of their head from all angles. It's difficult to do a 3d sculpture from a 2d picture just looking straight at their face. You might want to start with someone you know and ask them to model for you, that way you can see all around their head from every angle. That will help you get an idea of how human facial structures look, at least.

Comment

Futurama figures would be a good choice, because many of them were modeled in 3D for the show, so they're consistent.

On the whole, though, it's not a great idea to pick cartoon or comic book characters for these things for several reasons.

1. Consistency--characters are drawn to look cool, and the artists may cheat some shots that work great in 2D, but will give you headaches trying to recreate.

2. Learning the human figure: it's best to learn how the human figure is put together first before doing anything stylized. It gives you a better foundation to work from.

3. 2D to 3D: Another thing, it's notoriously difficult to translate information from a 2D image, even to another 2D image. Translating from a 2D image, that you can't turn, rotate, or even walk around, is very tricky.

That said, do whatever you want. It's art! It's about being adventurous! One of my favorite art teachers always told us that he'd prefer us to stretch ourselves and make magnificent failures than create safe things that were perfect. Go for the gusto!
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
      X