X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate car dealers

too bad there isn't blood dripping font I could aplly there

I have been looking for a replacement car for a while. My current one was an emergency purchase after a baseball-sized hailstorm a couple years ago. Too be honest, I am surprised this one has lasted as long as it has.

I first started looking seriously when they announced the Cash for Clunckers, but my car was just over the line. So I started looking at Pre-owned cars online. among them was a "02 Buick Rendezvous for $7995.

Several things have gotten in the way of following up on that the last two weeks, but this Monday I check back at the website and the car is still there, but now it is $5995!

A $2000 drop in price is about as close to a message from God as you are going to get!

So today I went out and test drove it and it is a dream to drive, with enough storage nooks your could live in it and I liked the color. So I said yes, I want to buy it.

Now at first I need to trade in my current car and I know it is not in the best shape, but they offer me $150! Could we please offer more than I make in a week? I tell them I will need to think about that, but they come back with $300 and since I only paid $500, ok I will take the loss there. (and since the AC doesn't work)

We do the paperwork, I would like 48 or 36 months to finance it so the payment is low, just in case I need to make a minimum payment now and then. So they go back to their computer to see what I can get aproved for. And I wait,......

and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait....for two damn hours!!!!!

Do you know what I could accomplish in two hours? It took me less time than that to dig and plant my garden. It takes me less time than that to read a paperback book sometimes! Imagine how much research you could do on a computer in 2 hours?

All this time I am the only customer in the building and the three other dealers just stand there staring out the windows at the world. You would think they would love to be selling a car. I point out that they will need the title and since I "accidentally" left it at home, I would need to go get it and drop off the last few items in my car (and let my family know where I have been for the last two hours).

When I come back, I have to wait another 30 minutes before they finally come back, But guess what?

Because the Buick is just over the 100,000 mile mark, they can (or will) not do 36-48 months. The best they can do is 24 months, which would double the payment. And the kicker? They also want $1200 up front!

If I had $1200, I wouldn't even be here! I would find me a private seller and buy it outright. And after that they pretty much pushed me out the door, bye

I cannot imagine any other business where you get to the checkout and ,"Oh I am sorry. I may say $10 on the shelf, but it is actually $20 now and we will need three forms of ID, and you will have to wait two and half hours to see if you qualify for that hamburger. I'd offer you a soft drink but we drank them all (and yes they did do that!)
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

If it is an '02, it's 7 years old now and 99% of the banks won't finance it for long because it's too risky to use as collateral. It could go tits up in a week, or 5 years. No one knows.

As for making you wait 2 hours, they may have been trying every bank they could, or they could have been out back smoking a doob waiting to see how long it would take you to get pissed.

I hate car dealerships... too many mind games. Sorry you didn't get your ride.

Comment

Now that just sucks. But, I do know what it's like when the dealer doesn't want to give much for a trade-in. Seriously, by the time I'm ready for a new car, the old one is not only paid for, but is thoroughly used. It's not junk, but rather "worn-in" I've given up on trying to rely on the Kelly's Blue Book values--by the time I'm disposing of the car, it's usually not worth very much, and not worth fighting over. It's simply cheaper to trade it in, rather than to get a new car, keep the old one insured, and/or be constantly swapping places with it on the driveway

But, I can see where the bank is coming from. Older vehicles (unlike classics) are usually a high-risk item for them. That's why they'll refuse a multi-year loan for cars over a certain age...or try to get you into a shorter loan. They'll be making their money back faster that way.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Yeah I dont do that "conditional approval" bullshit when it comes to getting a loan for ANYTHING!!!!

You either approve me or you dont.

Because, for one thing, the finance company is calling ALL the shots, you aren't. That means that even if you come up with some money for whatever, whether it be to pay off some creditors that appear on your credit report, or to put some money down, the finance company still has the right to welch on it and it would be perfectly legal, leaving you to look like an idiot at the end.

Comment

The thing that really bugs me is the two and half hour wait for the information.

When I think of all the things I could do in 2 & half hours. I could check in a semi-truck full of merchandise in less time.

Oh and the dealer called today to see if I had gone to my bank to see if I could get a loan for the car.

What part of "missed opportunity" do you not understand?
          "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Yuck. That really sucks! I'm sorry they wasted your time like that.

The last 2 times (which are, incidentally the first 2 times) I've bought a car, I bought new, so I don't have a lot of experience with buying used cars from a dealer and how the financing works and all that. Consequently, I don't have any advice, but that really DOES suck.

Good luck finding a new ride!

Comment

Most of the articles I've seen about dealing with car dealers say to arrange financing ahead of time if possible. Of course, that probably works best with new cars than used.

As for the wait time, I'm willing to bet it was a strategy. Tire you out, get you willing to commit to something just to be done.
              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

This is why if they want to dick around like that, I leave.

I give them my cell number, tell them what I am willing to pay, and then go to supper or something.

Seriously.

I bought a van AND a truck on the same night doing that. Got exactly what I wanted to pay, too. I was like, "well, whatever. I'm hungry, and I'm not going to sit around here and dicker on an empty stomach. Call me if you decide we have a deal."

Phone rang during my grilled salmon. Imagine that. And believe you me, it wasn't anywhere near two hours. They try to wear you down with that. So if you are somewhere else with food in front of you and a glass of wine in your hand, they can't really wear you down.

You walk out those doors, they tend to lose their shit. All of a sudden, they feel like they are no longer in control of the situation.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  You walk out those doors, they tend to lose their shit. All of a sudden, they feel like they are no longer in control of the situation.
                  Oh, my yes. The very best tactic a buyer has is to walk. Never get so emotionally invested in a purchase that you just can't step away from it. Always be prepared to walk.

I had a dealership play the "we can't get you approved for this, but we can do something higher" game with me. Funny how I nailed the 0.9% (the best deal at the time) financing at the place I decided to buy at. I had already walked off their lot once, and had come back once the new year's cars were on the lot looking at the older model new cars. It helped to that I asked for the salesman who helped me the first time. I got a lot of good will out of that.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

That's right. Leave your emotions completely out of it. Do not buy when you are desperate, and do not ever let them tell you that this is a once in a lifetime offer.

The car you want is all over town, and at the price you want to pay. Believe this. There is no "offer you can't refuse." Someone else will offer it if one guy won't. I promise you. I've never bought a car I didn't want, and I've never paid more than I wanted.

My husband and I are complete screws when it comes to buying cars. We don't allow that fake "let me ask my manager" shit, we don't test drive (that drives them nuts) unless we're almost certain we want to the car, and if you don't answer our questions point blank and straight, we will walk off your lot and not look back.

If I ask "how much is that car", you better damn straight tell me right off . If you're a saleman, then you know how much the car is.

We even have this non-verbal language worked out for dealing with salemen. Husband plays the part of the harried husband trying to make the wife happy. I play the part of the hard ass bitch who doesn't even want to buy a new car. (real stretch for me, I know). Husband's job is to get the salesman all excited about the prospect of making what he thinks will be an easy sale. My job is to scare the saleman into thinking we're on the verge of walking away. Subtle hand signals let us communicate without letting the saleman know we're discussing it.

It's almost like a game.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      That's right. Leave your emotions completely out of it. Do not buy when you are desperate, and do not ever let them tell you that this is a once in a lifetime offer.

The car you want is all over town, and at the price you want to pay. Believe this. There is no "offer you can't refuse." Someone else will offer it if one guy won't. I promise you. I've never bought a car I didn't want, and I've never paid more than I wanted.

My husband and I are complete screws when it comes to buying cars. We don't allow that fake "let me ask my manager" shit, we don't test drive (that drives them nuts) unless we're almost certain we want to the car, and if you don't answer our questions point blank and straight, we will walk off your lot and not look back.

If I ask "how much is that car", you better damn straight tell me right off . If you're a saleman, then you know how much the car is.

We even have this non-verbal language worked out for dealing with salemen. Husband plays the part of the harried husband trying to make the wife happy. I play the part of the hard ass bitch who doesn't even want to buy a new car. (real stretch for me, I know). Husband's job is to get the salesman all excited about the prospect of making what he thinks will be an easy sale. My job is to scare the saleman into thinking we're on the verge of walking away. Subtle hand signals let us communicate without letting the saleman know we're discussing it.

It's almost like a game.
                      Can I hire you when I go to buy my first car?
                      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Hell, I'd do it free just for the practice.

Comment

first, go get preapproved for some monetary value from your local credit union or bank.

Second, take that letter of approval with you (it's gold) to places you want to purchase a vehicle at. Try the Toyota Certified used dealerships. I have had good dealings with them. Or the Honda cars... a lot does depend on your letter of endorsement.

Third, make sure you have a mechanical inspection. Either take your mechanical buddy with you (supply burgers afterwards) and/or get a carfax report.

Fourth, make sure there's a 72 hour guarantee - if you don't like the vehicle, magic smoke escapes, it's on fire, you can take it back....no questions asked.

HTH

Cutenoob
                          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            Oh, my yes. The very best tactic a buyer has is to walk. Never get so emotionally invested in a purchase that you just can't step away from it. Always be prepared to walk.
                            Hehe I forgot about that

I might have posted this before, but I've actually walked out of dealers, including a certain "minutes from the mall" Chevy dealer. That was back in 1994, after I'd written off the Tempo. Since I was leaving for college that spring, I was going to need another car. Quite a bit of time was spent looking at and driving used cars.

Then we hit the Chevy place. Keep in mind that I still had the neck brace on, and wasn't exactly in the mood for bullshit. Things went downhill from there...

Dad and I pulled up, went inside, and asked what they had. The first guy to talk to us, actually said that "unless you're buying a car *today,* I'm not going to walk the lot with you" So, let me get this straight--you're going to piss off someone who *might* buy a car today, or possibly tomorrow--and you work on commission? Needless to say, my soon turned to I was not happy--I don't take shit from anyone, especially some pissant on commission!

Yep, I lost it...I actually (loudly) said, "fuck this place," and stormed out. As we're getting back into the van, another guy came out and tried to save the sale. Seems the first guy was "joking" and he'd let us test whatever we wanted. Ended up driving a Geo Storm, but didn't buy it. Still haven't set foot in that place, and refuse to. Once they pissed me off, they lost my business. Forever.
                            =========

Then there's the Toyota/Saturn place. Never had problems with these guys, apart from one rude salesman...who has since been fired. They tend to kiss my ass when I go down there. Of course that's helped by my father buying multiple Saturns (6, IIRC), knowing the sales and service managers, etc.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                            X