Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attack of the Giant Airborne Spider Patrol (GASP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the Giant Airborne Spider Patrol (GASP)

Ok, so it wasn't a giant, as in tarantula size, but still. Here in Toronto, Canada, I don't usually encounter spiders that approach 1 inch/2.5 cm in size. I consider those large. But this summer has been different. I think it has to do with that pesky garbage strike that lasted over a month. With garbage not being collected, we had an infestation of vermin, including fruit flies. I think the local spider population has benefited from that, as I have been seeing large spiders with higher frequency this summer.

Anyway, this morning I was on my way back from my run. I had almost arrived home, when I was somewhat startled to see a large spider. Not sure what species, trapdoor maybe? For this summer, not an oddity, but this was the first time I had ever seen a large spider that was... flying.

Startled, I ducked out of Airborne Spider's way. I know that some very small spiders can ride the winds with web-sails, but big ones? Looking back, naturally it wasn't really flying, but crawling sideways along a thread. If anything I was even more confused. This wasn't a backwoods trail, this was right next to a main road. There was a tree nearby, which was no doubt where one end of the spider's thread was attached. But the other direction led into the road. What the heck was the other end attached to? Was it strung up across the road? I hadn't the faintest idea. Quickly, someone call Newton! The law of gravity has been broken!

On an amusing note, just as this happened a cute Asian girl (and there hardly seems to be any other kind) was approaching. I considered warning her, but somehow I don't think she would have taken seriously a warning about looking out for air-raids by large spiders

Later, I encountered another GASP as I was opening my garage. It fell from the ceiling and almost landed on my head. At least, I think it was a spider. It had 8 long stringy legs, but it had a very small body, and it didn't have the hourglass shape most spiders have. It didn't look intimidating, just odd.

One final spider encounter was in the garage. It had spun a pretty thick mesh of web over a window. That sight alone creeped me out, and I brushed it away with a broom. The occupant of said web was another intimidating looking large critter. It didn't fall on my head, but it did get stuck on my broom, and was rather reluctant to leave. Probably because most of its home was now stuck on my broom. Sorry guy, get a building permit next time.

Oh, one final creepy note about spiders, specifically the trapdoor variety. Their webs are a very common sight here, among tall grasses and hedges. Once long ago I discovered if you probe their webs with a twig, a pen, or something inorganic, the spiders won't budge. But if you probe with a fingertip, then they burst out. Creepy.
    Last edited by Talon; 09-04-2009, 04:54 PM.
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

I generally let spiders live, but millipedes must die!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I hear you!!! They are huge!! We didn't have the garbage strike here in the burbs, but it must have been a bumper crop of creepy crawlies this year!
      I was doing my laundry and came across a FRIKKIN HUGE spider. I called (Screamed to)my SO , but he was outside, so I had to kill it myself. I hurled the laundry basket at it, and killed it. when my husband saw it he said "You killed Aragog"!

Comment

Living in BC, I'm not sure there are small spiders here. Most of the spiders around here are wolf spiders. Big bastards. But they don't spin webs, they just run prey down and eat them. So you never see webs to warn you. =p

But I haven't seen a spider inside my house, at least not for more than 30 seconds, since I got the cat. Usually by the time I notice a spider in here, its just legs sticking out of her mouth.

Comment

This thread is scary

I kind of thought it would be cute, though, if you had "rescued" the cute Asian girl from the flying attack spiders! Actually that sounds a lot like a SyFy movie.
          !
          "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post

Later, I encountered another GASP as I was opening my garage. It fell from the ceiling and almost landed on my head. At least, I think it was a spider. It had 8 long stringy legs, but it had a very small body, and it didn't have the hourglass shape most spiders have. It didn't look intimidating, just odd.
            That would be a Daddy Long-Legs.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I have what I affectionately call 'Baby Tarantulas' hanging from the eaves under the open porch. They get to about an inch or two across just from snacking on Mosquitoes all summer.

Then they just like to dangle in plain sight, like fleshy windchimes.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                but Millipedes are completely harmless balls of little legs.... they don't bite or sting... they just crawl around and curl up into black spiral balls. Centipedes are who you need to watch out for...little red demon bastards....

I have a rule about spiders... if they are in the living room... I will catch them and put them back out side.... if they are in the kitchen its 50/50 depending on their placement.... but as soon as you cross that threshold into my bedroom or bathroom.... you have gone too far and you must DIE!
                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                -Red

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  For me its house centipedes. They're much worse than spiders, since they can grow to over an inch long, and they're fast. But the worst thing about them is an even match. Their legs continue to twitch after they're dead, even after the legs have been severed. Also I swear I can hear a low hissing/screeching sound when I squash them

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                  I have what I affectionately call 'Baby Tarantulas' ... Then they just like to dangle in plain sight, like fleshy windchimes.
                  That is a very disturbing image, and I thank you for putting it in my twisted head.

Speaking of which, I spotted another GASP this morning. This one was big enough to be seen across the yard. It's web was spun up across the side of my neighbor's house and a pillar, about a half-meter wide. Ambitious much? The spider was another inch+ long monster, with a sandy body and black stripes along the legs. Creepy, but strangely cool also.
                  Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
                    Sorry guy, get a building permit next time.
                    I LOL'ed at that line.

For some reason the houses near mine, as well as mine, have picked up black ants and these biting flies. So naturally in come the spiders. And almost of every size too. Since I'm moving I've been washing a lot of things in the basement then I normally do. Every time I go down there I have to knock away webbing.

But this last time has made me call in the big guns... Mom. See I'm allergic to what makes webbing sticky and it gives me a huge rash and bad welts. I know have a huge rash and bad welts over my face and upper arms.

The spiders revolted and made a triple web over the stairs going downstairs. Saw the first one which got me welts on my right arm. Missed the second when I get the left arm. Ran straight into the third when I was pulling away from the sting on my arm. Thank goodness I was wearing my glasses.

So Mom is coming over on Friday night to empty out the rest of the basement for me. And to do her laundry as well as the rest of mine....since thats where they are.

Comment

A buddy of mine used to work at a local plating and anodizing shop, and he and some of his more mischievous co-workers used to tie fake spiders onto fishing line and throw them up over the ceiling trusses. Then they'd use the fishing line to lower them down into the faces of unsuspecting (usually female) co-workers and scare them half to death.

(He used to be a real bastard, but this was before I knew him).

Then there was the time when someone shook up a can of grape soda and duct taped it to the side of the gold-plating tank (the gold solution is purple) and used a pushpin to poke a tiny hole into the can. This nearly gave the shop foreman a heart attack because he thought the gold tank had sprung a leak (and the stuff inside is of course VERY expensive).
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                      X