This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final account of moving

Alright I have finished moving to Birmingham (UK) and orientation for university starts next week. I still need to get some stuff for my room but everything is pretty much taken care of and I'm settled in. I've moved into the international student house which is working out well.

My impressions so far of the UK:
    The shopkeepers keep calling me love, darling, etc. which is disconcerting to me.

Crossing the street will be the death of me. Seriously British people I don't care if this is politically incorrect or whatever but stop driving on the wrong side of the street.

It's cold, I'm not a winter person. Anyone who thinks hell is warm is wrong.

Preteens suck. I went to the science museum and they had a forensic exhibit where you learnt about various techniques while 'solving' a crime and these bastards 11/12 year olds were standing next to it and anytime someone went to the exhibit and played around they'd shout which of the suspects did it. (By the way 2 of the suspects had the same pretend DNA but they were boy and girl)

Also I think one of the baggage handlers at one point or the another stole the clear ziplock bag which had hair scrunchies and hair clips. I've emailed my dad to make sure that I didn't forget them but it's weirding me out to think that anyone would steal that.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Welcome to Birmingham.
    I live just down the road in the Black Country(ask a Brummie what a yam Yam is).
    It is not cold it was 16 degrees today and thats warm.
    Hope you like music, some of the best bands in the world come from here.
    So once again welcome to Blighty
    "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
    set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
      It's cold, I'm not a winter person. Anyone who thinks hell is warm is wrong.
      Oh dear... You're not going to like winter much...

Welcome to England! I'm just a little way out West to you in Shrewsbury. I'd like to second everything gaspode has said, and add that Birmingham is a great place to study and live in.

Hope you settle in well, and make the most of the city. There's a lot out there!
      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Don't worry I'm used to winter since I lived a few years in the midwest, won't stop me from complaining about the weather. Good to know there's people in the area.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I really want to visit England....a great deal of my heritage comes from there in the dark past and I'd love to see where my ancestors came from. Although I don't know where they came from specifically.

And yeah watch that road when crossing...that would screw me up so bad having it the opposite way like that.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

won't stop me from complaining about the weather.
            Bloody hell you're British already

If you want to add me on facebook so that if you need help and i can,help that is ,either search me out on this websites facebook page or search for "gaspode01"
            Last edited by gaspode; 09-15-2009, 10:34 PM. Reason: cause I'm stupid
            set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Comment

Quoth gaspode View Post
              Bloody hell you're British already
              Quoted for truth.

May be worth trying to arrange a Britmeet in the Brummie area at some point. I'm in Yorkshire, about two to three hours drive away at a guess.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Quoted for truth.

May be worth trying to arrange a Britmeet in the Brummie area at some point. I'm in Yorkshire, about two to three hours drive away at a guess.

Rapscallion
                That would be nice. Just remember to use a really easy landmark. I get lost in places I know well and I'm not familiar with the Birmingham area yet.

Comment

Quoted for truth.

Rapscallion
                  You need to get a car first Raps

Comment

Quoted for truth.

Rapscallion
                    Door to door is just under 2 hours. I uses to commute
                    to uni there every weekend.

To the OP: are you at Birmingham Uni or Aston? If Aston, make sure you get down to Oscars for the best burgers ever!
                    Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

That would be nice. Just remember to use a really easy landmark. I get lost in places I know well and I'm not familiar with the Birmingham area yet.
                      Never been myself. I'd be relying on google maps, squinting, asking people, and arriving early.

Quoth gaspode View Post
                      You need to get a car first Raps
                      Have taken up a colleague on his offer. Should be properly mobile again in a couple of weeks.

Rapscallion

Comment

I spent about 10 days in Brum a few years ago. I had a blast.

Go meet up at the Bull Mall....the Bull Exchange? is that the name? There's a huge bronze bull in front of one entrance, there's a pub called The Newt next to it, serves lots of beer and chips etc.
                        My friend drank about 5 pints in 5 hours there...wow. Lots of beer.

There's lots of things to do in Brum.

Make sure you eat a pasty.. A warm, beef & guinness pasty. They're DELICIOUS. Mmmmmmm.

Cutenoob
                        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Boggles View Post

To the OP: are you at Birmingham Uni or Aston? If Aston, make sure you get down to Oscars for the best burgers ever!
                          I'm in Birmingham Uni and orientation starts next week. Time is catching up with me.

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                          I spent about 10 days in Brum a few years ago. I had a blast.

Go meet up at the Bull Mall....the Bull Exchange? is that the name? There's a huge bronze bull in front of one entrance, there's a pub called The Newt next to it, serves lots of beer and chips etc.
                          The sign said bullring and I took pictures of the statue outside and the one inside the selfridges made out of jelly beans. I either passed that pub wandering around in that area or not, my sense of direction is horrid but since I have to go down there again tomorrow I'll try and see if I can find it.

Comment

its the Bull ring here a picture of the bull
                            (the one on the right is the wife)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X