Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the world hate hot cocoa drinkers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the world hate hot cocoa drinkers?

Seriously.

Most diners - coffee and tea are cheap yet a cup of cocoa is $5.

Most offices will buy coffee and tea (as well as sugar and creamers) but never cocoa.

They always offer you coffee or tea after a meal at a restaurant but never cocoa.

Parties always have coffee and tea but never cocoa.

People say cocoa is too expensive but it is cheaper per cup than coffee and tea (mostly that is).

You don't need anything special for it - tea you just need hot water, the same with cocoa.

I'm a cocoa drinker and I'm tired of discrimination!!
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

If it makes you feel any better, Draggar, anytime I have a party during cold weather, I make sure hot cocoa and marshmallows are available to anyone who wants it. Of course, I also keep a bottle of Peppermint Schnapps in the fridge, just to liven it up.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

"Hate" is a very strong word for what you speak of.

I would say they're insensitive, perhaps clueless, but HATEFUL? Nah.

Of course I have not walked in your shoes and I don't know what you go through in everyday life, so don't hate me for saying that.
      I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Coco drinkers of the world UNITE! We should do something crazy like protest coffee! *cough*.... or you know.... buy more coco.....

But honestly I have always wondered the same thing... I always hate it when I go to a breakfast place and order coco and get weird looks from the wait staff... cause I always do... because I am an adult who *gasp* doesn't drink coffee... and I don't trust tea made by anyone else.... ((see: "I am a tea snob")) There is nothing wrong with Coco...
        "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
        -Red

Comment

Whenever I drink hot cocoa, the back of my throat sort of burns, almost as if I had stomache acid within the past minute. It's annoying, but I still absolutely love hot cocoa.

What I love to do, actually, is make regular coffee, and then add some light chocolate ice cream into it. It's a fair simulation of hot cocoa. Not entirely accurate, but still good enough for when I don't actually have any nearby but would like some in the morning with my coffee. ... mostly because it is my coffee. ^__^'
          SC: "Are you new or something?"
          Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

I AM A COCOA DRINKER AND I ... um... uh...

well, I don't drink coffee and I like tea but not just like plain Lipton or whatever.

So I'm totally with you!
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I was wondering that today while I was at Starbucks getting a cookie. Tall cup of coffee, $1. Tall cup of hot chocolate, $3.50. Wtf?
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I always have cocoa mix in the house, even in the summer. It's usually just like Swiss Miss or something, but that's what I like. I've gone to places like Starbucks and gotten the really high end hot cocoa that they offer and I just don't like it as well. Which is good, 'cuz Swiss Miss is fairly inexpensive and super simple to make.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                  I always have cocoa mix in the house, even in the summer. It's usually just like Swiss Miss or something, but that's what I like. I've gone to places like Starbucks and gotten the really high end hot cocoa that they offer and I just don't like it as well. Which is good, 'cuz Swiss Miss is fairly inexpensive and super simple to make.
                  I like the Godiva hot chocolate mix. I get it at B&N (I try to get it at my employee appresciation days which they do twice a year) so I get a discount on it but it's still 6 bucks a can.

I've made cocoa with Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, sugar and milk. I still haven't gotten the mix quite right but hey, it's a fun experiment.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I love the stuff.... but I do remember that back when we had the powder packet kind that you mix with hot water at work, we were selling less than two a day average: not really worth keeping in stock. And I do understand why the new kind is more, because it's made with that unbelievably expensive machine and uses steamed milk and whipped cream and so forth. I would assume Starbucks' cocoa is the same way.

See, now you've got me wanting some, and I don't have any.
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I split the difference and get a cappuccino at the gas station or the coffee shop.

I've got at least a couple different kinds of hot cocoa. I've got a can of white cocoa from Gloria Jean's and that Swiss Miss cocoa with caffeine in it.

I'll have to start watching for when the Christmas food gifts come in. If we get the set of 4 tins of different kinds of cocoa I'll have to pick that up again. IIRC, the varieties in that set were chocolate, caramel, vanilla and mint. All very tasty.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                        "Hate" is a very strong word for what you speak of. I would say they're insensitive, perhaps clueless, but HATEFUL? Nah. Of course I have not walked in your shoes and I don't know what you go through in everyday life, so don't hate me for saying that.
                        It's called hyperbole.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic. Can I join the club if I drink coffee, but it always has to have milk and chocolate in it? I will not drink just coffee. I have to have a mocha latte. That's just coffee-flavored hot cocoa, right?
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I too do the Godiva hot cocoa. I got a set of 3 flavors last winter, and seeing as its almost winter again and I'm almost out...
                          (I love the hot cocoa, but I don't drink it in the warmer months... seeing as I live in Hawaii, that's most the year.)

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                            I was wondering that today while I was at Starbucks getting a cookie. Tall cup of coffee, $1. Tall cup of hot chocolate, $3.50. Wtf?
                            Did the end of the world happpen or did they do a major drop on their prices? Last time a large (sorry, I don't do that "vente" crap) cocoa at a Starbucks for me was $6.

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                            Same here and I live in south Florida.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            I like the Godiva hot chocolate mix. I get it at B&N (I try to get it at my employee appresciation days which they do twice a year) so I get a discount on it but it's still 6 bucks a can.

I've made cocoa with Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, sugar and milk. I still haven't gotten the mix quite right but hey, it's a fun experiment.
                            The Godiva is great. My parents got me a tin of Godiva cocoa mix for Christmas a few years ago, I used it to make ice cream this year. I used Ben &Jerry's recipe. OH WOW WAS IT GOOD.

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                            I love the stuff.... but I do remember that back when we had the powder packet kind that you mix with hot water at work, we were selling less than two a day average: not really worth keeping in stock. And I do understand why the new kind is more, because it's made with that unbelievably expensive machine and uses steamed milk and whipped cream and so forth. I would assume Starbucks' cocoa is the same way.

See, now you've got me wanting some, and I don't have any.
                            You mean you use the cappuccino machine? It sounds a lot like a place we used to frequent in Haverhill, Mass (UFO). They served "steamers" - steamed milk in different flavors. My favorites were chocolate and cinnamon.
                            Quote Dalesys:
                            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Draggar, my darling, would you PM me that Ben & Jerrys recipe?? Please?

I'm a HUGE cocoa drinker. So much so I use milk instead of water (Or if I'm at work, add one of those french vanilla flavoured coffee delight things) and will sometimes make it from scratch at home.

The best cocoa I've ever used was by Saco. It's easier to find the powdered buttermilk (white container with a cartoonish dude on it) but if you happen to find the powdered baking chocolate, GET IT. Trust me on this.

Last edited by Evil Queen; 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: Found the picture!!
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X