This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry he just said "Do you speak Hebrew?"
    The original version had the verb in the masculine gender and I fixed it to the feminine gender. The pronoun was in the right gender though.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
      Hebrew is pretty useless outside of Israel anyway.
      I think that a lot of religious Jews who use Hebrew in temple and their prayers would disagree with you. Also, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure a lot of non-Israeli Jews DO use Hebrew conversationally, just like many other people use many other languages.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I think that a lot of religious Jews who use Hebrew in temple and their prayers would disagree with you. Also, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure a lot of non-Israeli Jews DO use Hebrew conversationally, just like many other people use many other languages.
        First of all biblical Hebrew isn't the same as modern Hebrew. It would make for a very weird conversation at some points. Second, I'm not saying there aren't non-Israeli Jews who use Hebrew, what I am saying is that if you add up the number of people who speak the language it's not going to reach a substantial percentage of the the world population and you're better off learning a more popular language unless you plan on going to Israel.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth RedHeadPhoneGirl View Post
          Why is it, that just because I spent the last four years of my educational life in another country and graduated a high school in Israel, the federal government mandates I take an English proficiency test before I can start college?
          yes it makes sense actually, just because you where born in the US doesn't mean you speak English and the whole other country thing means.... you might not speak English.
          and i wish the test i had to take was only 100 dollars. I have a LD that i need to be tested on at my expense to be able to take oral tests in my science classes (because it affects me spelling and thought pattern) but sine i was last tested at age 11 and the school system didnt give me paper work about i have to take a test that at its cheapest cost $350! and usually retails for $500+

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
            First of all biblical Hebrew isn't the same as modern Hebrew.
            I wouldn't know. Did I mention that I'm a bad Jew?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I wouldn't know. Did I mention that I'm a bad Jew?
              And now you do, it's like any old language. Ancient Greek is not exactly the same as the modern version and I would not speak Elizabethan English outside of a theatre either. Some languages are closer to the original than others but all evolve. Hebrew isn't bad for a formerly dead language revived in the 19th century.

Comment

The government wants to screw you out of every last penny it CAN.

that is why. in a nutshell.
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

We have people in this country who can't and won't speak a word of English, so why is the government so dead set on testing you, but the others get do as they please? I don't get it.
                  Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Wait, I wanna ask a question that will immediately probably turn into a fratch, so can we go over there for a bit? Misanthropical sort of kind of touched on it.

Here's a link, if anyone wants to go there.
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 09-22-2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Just an update

Took the test today and passed with flying colours. I'll be calling my admissions person in about an hour or so to see if he's heard back from either of the lenders I applied with for student loans.

Pretty much, I'm going to be starting school next month Yay!

Comment

Working...
                      X