X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got badly pwned on a school project

Background:

I'm in the final year of my college IT-Security degree program. We're required to do a massive solo 8-month mega-project on some emerging security issue.

I chose to research the security implications of migration from Internet Protocol version 4 (Ipv4) to version 6 (Ipv6). For the uninitiated, the protocols are analgous to the system of postal/zip codes, only for hosts on the internet. Said hosts are PC's, routers, laptops, anything that connects to the internet. Problem with Ipv4, it's rapidly running out of space. It'll be depleted within a few years. Then, it'll be like new houses can't get mail, because there are no new postal codes to assign them. (of course in my analogy, hundreds of new houses would have to be springing up every day!)

For preliminary work, we're to propose our own schedule of project milestones, and stick by them. For my first milestone, I chose to research in detail the new Ipv6 protocol. I set myself a deadline for Sept 29th.

Then I looked at my first reference manual on Ipv6. It was 600+ pages long

Riiight, I'm really going to be able to cover all that material in a week and a half.

The pwnage here is that, when we were first proposing our topics, our research professor warned me that my first milestone/goal might be too verbose. Far be it for me to sound like a snob, but said professor wasn't even a tech guy. He was an English major I think. I think I'll be wearing egg on my face for a while

Good news is I caught this blunder now. Our current professor has told us that if one of our self-goals is not realistic, rescheduling is fine as long as we catch it in-advance, and not the night before.
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

I first heard of this in 1996; are they really finally going to make the switch?
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Yes, they have to. Techs like Network Address Translation (NAT) helped to slow the depletion of Ipv4 addresses, but that was temporary.

Estimates vary, but complete Ipv4 depletion could happen as soon as 2010. What's really scary to me is that adoption rates for Ipv6 are currently very low. As usual, people aren't going to act until they see the problem, and by then we'll be up the creek without a paddle.
      Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Working...
      X