This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Makeovers

My boyfriend got a little too curious the other night and dyed his hair and his eyebrows and his facial hair jet black.

He just got back from a hunting excursion, so he had a full beard and mustache going on to play with.....of course, after he dyed it all, he decided he wanted to try one of his old looks again, with a new twist.

It's hard to describe, but it's when a guy shaves his sideburns and beard down into a very pencil thin line that borders the entire face.....does that make any sense? And then he shaved his mustache down to a pencil thin one that goes down the sides of his mouth and across the top.

It looks AWFUL! I think he looks like a serial killer.

Thankfully, he realizes it too, but he thought it was funny to see my reaction to it and he wants to keep just long enough for his friends and family to see. The black hair itself is VERY strong in contrast to how fair and light his skin and eyes are, but at least the hair on his head doesn't look bad....it's the facial hair! (which I am partially biased because I can't stand facial hair on men).

So, I'd like to hear about bad makeover stories.

Myself...I once dyed my hair black, before I was tan. I looked just like Snow White....almost gothic. It looked absolutely horrendous.

Your stories? It can be anything from bad hair dye jobs to makeup malfunctions to bad clothing makeovers to whatever you'd like to share about a time you decided to change your appearance and it looked dreadful.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

There was a period of time when I was using Sun-In. Because orange hair is, like, HAWT.

Yeaaaah
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

The thin line going along the jaw line is what DataJager currently has but it's kinda thick. More like a Major Marker Line than a Pencil Line. But I like it and it looks good on him.

I like him with a full beard but he's arian; very light hair and eyes. His beard? Red. Red Red, not just goldish Red like some blondes. He also has a couple gold splotches IN his full beard which, while cute to me, makes him look like he spent an evening with yellow, orange and white frosted cakes.
      Last edited by Evil Queen; 09-26-2009, 03:57 PM. Reason: Than not Then!
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

My sister tried giving herself blue highlights a home. Using a collander... and a crochette hook to pull the hair through the holes. She also used the wrong bleach and decided to use the bleach on her hair AFTER she dyed it black, rather than before.

The end product: it looked like a bee had been smashed onto her head. The blond parts were uneven and inches away from her roots.. they weren't even blonde either but a nasty orangy-brown color (think baby poo). So, for the third time in eight hours we had to go buy dye and re-do her hair.
        "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

The pencil thin line does sound like it would look pretty strange! Like it would look like someone drew on his face with a Sharpie? Good thing he doesn't love it or it would take a lot of time to upkeep it!

Quoth blas View Post
          Myself...I once dyed my hair black, before I was tan. I looked just like Snow White....almost gothic. It looked absolutely horrendous.
          That's my bad makeover story too I have a friend with pale white skin and dyed black hair, but for some reason she pulls it off really well. She encouraged me to try dying my hair black because I had expressed interest in it. I have pasty skin too but she said it would look fine. Actually it looked like I was a sewer mutant who hadn't seen the sun in a decade... Luckily I was able to use one of those "Color Oops" products which worked pretty good!

There was the time in high school where my friend tried to bleach my hair and we ended up having to shave it all off. I guess the moral of the story is to not listen to your friends EVER
          !
          "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Seventh grade. Perm. That is all.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Okay, my own bad makeover story:

I have very very dark brown hair with lots of red highlights.

I decided to use sun-in for my hair. (Bad idea, very bad idea).

After it was over, I called my then best friend and simply said "Mary, I dyed my hair." She said she'd be right over.

My roots were a strawberry blonde gradually ending up as bozo the clown orange at the tips.

Yeah ... wasn't the best look for me at all.

Comment

in one of my "great ideas" had my hair streaked candy apple red and jet black....
                have dark brown hair so had to streak it blonde first before red could be put in.
                looked like a mini umbrella until the red washed out to leave the blonde streaks

Comment

Haha, the dreaded Sun-In!

I was a victim of that once too. I was about 11 or 12, my mom wouldn't let me dye my hair and I was mad that my childhood bleach blonde hair was going ash blonde, so I started religiously spraying it in.

My hair was white. As in, Holly Madison white. But it was also completely fried.

Comment

My natural haircolor is light brown with lots of premature grey. I went to a new hairdresser one time (cheaper than my usual one, and for good reason!). My usual hairdresser usually did a great job of coloring my hair light brown; this one decided to try a dark golden blonde. Result? My hair was pumpkin orange!!!

Next day, she dyed brown over it and it looked...tolerable. But I never went back there. I'd rather spend a little extra and get reliable good results.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Seventh grade. Perm. That is all.
                      Me too! And I have curly hair.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Eighth grade.

My eyebrows are naturally thick. If I don't upkeep them, it would turn into a unibrow. I wanted to be really nice and save my grandmother some money ( because she treated me to eye brow waxings every two weeks) and use one of those at home trimmers.

I ended up shaving on eyebrow almost all the way off. There was some hair there. I had to use brown pencil until it grew back.

Never again.

Now that I have a job, I can shell out the money once a month to get them done. Once a month is all I need.
                        "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

McG- I'm with you on the eyebrows! I can't do my own. I end up doing them waaaaay too thin! That's one story from me: my junior year pic from high school looks like I have NO eyebrows! Ick.

Just recently I bleached my hair at home and it came out perfect! But I start freaking out if any root (and I mean ANY) starts showing, and it was causing me too much trauma so I decided to just dye my hair dark and be natural. But my hair turned out BLACK and I looked like some kind of weird goth creature. (Like in blas' story). I use clarifying shampoo so it's since faded to a nice light brown, and I plan on keeping it that way!

I've also experienced pretty much all the bad perm/dye job fiascos that everyone else has. I just can't leave my hair alone!
                          "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

A few years ago, I had been dyeing my hair blonde for a while, but got sick of the black roots and decided to dye my hair red. Bright red. You ever put bright red dye on light blonde hair? I looked like Bozo the Clown. I tried a strip the color out only to have my hair turn a weird orange/apricot color. I had to live with that for two weeks before dyeing it brown since I was afraid my hair would be fried if I tried anything else so soon.

Fun times.
                            I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

McG, I'd be glad to wax your eyebrows for you.

I'm cursed with bleach blonde eyebrows.....the main part of the brow and the arch are naturally very thin, but for some reason, there are stray hairs everywhere all the way down by my eyelid and all the way over by over by my ear. I drive myself crazy when it comes time to pluck.

As you can imagine, I have had my eyebrows tinted before, and tried it myself...

I just stick to pencilling them in with a dark blonde pencil or a very light brown, then dusting loose powder on top so that they don't look fake.

Comment

Working...
                              X