Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I am a Dork. Yes, it will be AWESOME!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I am a Dork. Yes, it will be AWESOME!

In case you couldn't tell by the screen name () I'm a *bit* of a Star Wars fan. This year I've decided to finally make my very own Jedi costume. First order of business was to poke around teh interwebz and find measurements and patterns since my sewing skills just aren't quite good enough to just wing it. Let me just say, it's amazing what Google can find for you (I'll be happy to pass on the websites I used if anyone's interested). I then brought in the assistance of my mom to help me figure out how much fabric to buy.

A trip to my local Hancock's was mostly successful. They didn't carry many of the recommended fabrics like silk noil or crinkle cotton, but I found some nice muslin for the inner tunic and osnaburg for the outer tunic. I did end up having to order a wool blend for the cloak since no one in town carried a heavy enough fabric in the right color. Hopefully it gets here in time, but I'm not too worried.

Today's adventure was to find suitable pants. Off to Goodwill! And, I must say, it was a rousing success. I've got three pairs of khaki pants and I'll pick one once I get the rest of the costume made and see how it all fits together. I even found a pair of brown boots and got Mr Jedi a couple pairs of work pants all for under $20. Woo! Mom and I are going to start work on the main costume tomorrow. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done.

Unfortunately, the utility belt with all its accessories is probably going to have to wait until next year. The belt I'm going to custom order from someone who makes them and that's not going to be cheap. The lightsaber as well will have to wait until I get some money together to raid Lowe's and Home Depot. All in all, though. I'm really excited and I can't wait to get it all finished.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

awesome! You know you're gonna have to post pics.

Comment

Sounds awesome. I like coming up with new costumes for Halloween or conventions as well. Can't wait to see pics when you have them...I might have to get the patterns from you.

Comment

I actually did a Jedi costume a few years ago. Keep in mind, this was a low budget costume. Black dress pants, black work boots, black collarless dress shirt, black belt. Not great, but hey, not bad, if I did say so myself. I added a K-Mart bough light saber that telescoped and collapsed, and lit up, and even hung on my belt. But the one major score I had was the cape (or cloak, if you will).

I have had it for a while, and it has lended itself well to a myriad of costumes, including pirate, Renaissance swordsman, and Perverted Zorro. I could also use it, if I wanted to, for a Death or vampire costume. It would definitely work for several other things as well. The amusing thing is where I came about it. Once, many years ago, I saw it at a costume shop as part of a Phantom of the Opera costume, which basically consisted of the iconic Phantom mask and the long, hooded, black cape. I bought the costume, pitched the mask, and have been using the cape for all kinds of costumes ever since. It is light enough to not be too hot, but heavy enough to keep me warm if it's cool out and I wrap it more around me. And since I am not that tall (5'8"), it is basically floor length for me. In other words, it rocks!

My point is, you can often find things for costumes that were not necessarily designed for that costume. My Court Jester costume, for example, was created by me out of pieces from at least seven or eight different stores or vendors. It really does pay to think outside the box!

I have no doubt that your Jedi costume will blow mine away. But I also am pretty confident that my cape will rival any cape or cloak you get for it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

If it's a Phantom cape.....that cape is wicked awesome.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            If it's a Phantom cape.....that cape is wicked awesome.
            It is. And it is.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X